Solo: A Star Wars Story

Where can this SWIQ-O-Meter be found?

I would love to know where I fall.

Guessing that I will be an old dude on the low end, since I am unwilling to crap on a movie that I have yet to see (without giving it a chance).

Sure, when I watched Age of Adeline, I thought he might make a passable Han Solo; but I am not totally going to bail on the franchise due to a casting decision.

BTW - I did not care for TLJ. (Not sure if that impacts my SWIQ score).

Yes, it does impact your SWIQ score. You definitely gain points with that take.

It's an arbitrary made up scale of how 1 guy judges your opinion of a movie based on his opinion of a movie and how closely they resemble each other.

You're grossly mistaken. SWIQ is absolute, and immutable. It is not about me. My opinions are measured against the absolute SWIQ, as established by the theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, just the same as your opinions are.

It's just that those of us who have a keen understanding of what things should and should not be in a Star Wars movie, have a higher SWIQ than those of us who don't.

The Wook

I just watched a clip with Woody Harrelson playing holochess with Chewbacca on the Falcon. They literally animated the exact same footage that they used in ANH and TFA for the move on the chess board where the one piece body slams the other one. Are they THAT creatively bankrupt?

Like they couldn't spend a few thousand more to animate a new chess sequence.

It's only a matter of time before they just remake the original trilogy. Why am I even considering watching Episode 9? What the hell is wrong with me? I'm not even going to see Solo. I need to just let this crap go. lol

Last edited:
I just watched a clip with Woody Harrelson playing holochess with Chewbacca on the Falcon. They literally animated the exact same footage that they used in ANH and TFA for the move on the chess board where the one piece body slams the other one. Are they THAT creatively bankrupt?

Like they couldn't spend a few thousand more to animate a new chess sequence.

It's only a matter of time before they just remake the original trilogy. Why am I even considering watching Episode 9? What the hell is wrong with me? I'm not even going to see Solo. I need to just let this crap go. lol
Or it could be a dual purpose fan nod as well as showing how chewie didnt know the game and later on in life he's pretty good at it.

I sincerely doubt that. It's the third time that exact sequence has been used on the chess board to the point where I'm pretty sure it's the only move the game is programmed to do.

I know I'm old and cranky but I just feel like I'm losing my mind with this stuff. It's just so obvious that they can't do ANYTHING new.

So now we have to see how Chewbacca learned to play chess, only to be bested by R2-D2 with the exact same move 10 years later in ANH? How stupid do they think the fans really are?

This movie is just a check list:

Han meets Chewie
Han meets Lando
Han wins the Falcon from Lando in a game of cards
Han somehow saves Chewie so that the wookie owes him a life debt
Han does the Kessel Run in under 12 Parsecs
Chewie rips someone's arms out of their sockets
Han may meet Jabba the Hutt
Han may encounter Boba Fett

and now I can add

Chewie learns how to play chess

to that list

I've known about all of this since ANH as it's either talked about or implied by watching that movie. What more could they possibly add that is going to deepen the characters more than we already know?

Why can't they do anything new?

Last edited:
To be fair if they try something new, people whine. If they dont people whine. Its human nature to complain about something based on 2 minutes of footage for any movie.

They could just try making movies that have nothing to do with any characters that we already know and about events that have nothing to do with anything we've seen before. Set in the same universe but a different time or place and with new characters and nothing to do with the rebellion/ empire conflict.

We already knew that Rogue One would end with the characters succeeding in getting the plans for the first Death Star. We already knew that Anakin turned to the dark side in the prequel trilogy. I just gave everyone the essential synopsis to Solo. Since we know the end to each of these stories then they aren't really adding anything substantial to the mythos. That's 5 movies where we already knew the end.

Since the anthology movies are a newer concept for this property, the first couple are understandably fill in the blank movies.

Kind of like the mcu, first few movies were playing it safe with iron man cap and thor, then once they got their footing they could explore and take chances like with guardians.

Since the anthology movies are a newer concept for this property, the first couple are understandably fill in the blank movies.

Kind of like the mcu, first few movies were playing it safe with iron man cap and thor, then once they got their footing they could explore and take chances like with guardians.

If that holds true , then LF and Disney really are catering to ‘ New ‘ potential audiences , and seemingly creating rifts in the established fandom , with making films that were magical - taking place a ‘ long , long time ago ... in a galaxy far, far away ‘ ... by including ( relatively modern ) ideas and themes that are prominently Terran in these latest films ... specifically eyeballing that wonderfully derivative and despicable TLJ monstrosity .

Ged

Well they do need to create a new audience, they already got the 35-50 year old and by proxy majority of their kids, now its heading towards grandkid territory. I think eventually it will go into new territory but theres growing pains involved.

I wouldn't call it growing pains so much as outright disrespect at least on the part of a few of the people in charge.

I'm all for bringing in new fans but they aren't doing themselves any favors by insulting those of us who grew up with the series and younger audiences aren't gravitating towards the Star Wars films the way they do to any of the Marvel films. Part of their problem is that they seem too concerned about making Star Wars relevant by adding in themes that are concerned with today's culture rather than making timeless stories that will resonate for generations.

By setting the stories up with themes like that they, by definition, date themselves so that those ideas may not have the same impact ten years from now that they do today.

The OT has stood the test of time because it's themes are timeless. Until the heads of Lucasfilm understand this they are going to keep getting more and more fan backlash until the series will die out and worst of all they will blame it on us and claim it's because we are impossible to please.

Here's what the fans ACTUALLY want:

A fun story with characters we can relate to going on an adventure in space and illustrating themes that anyone, in any time can relate to.

Themes like, friendship and loyalty are part of what makes a person a hero. Or doing the right thing is more important than being popular. Things like that resonate far more powerfully than, never meet your heroes because they are sure to disappoint. There is enough cynicism in the world. Star Wars was supposed to be fun and uplifting and doesn't have to use the same characters/ plots all the time to tell positive themes like the ones I listed.

Is it just me, or does Woody Harrelson seem horribly out of place. I like him in many of his movies, but from the little I’ve seen in these trailers I feel he just doesn’t fit, feels off. I wonder if it’s because he’s such a unique personality with unique roles and that taints one’s perspective when it comes to this character in this setting. I know it’s hard to say not seeing the movie yet. Maybe it’s just me and it works out fine.......

I've been thinking about people saying "It doesn't matter what they do with Star Wars because half of the fans will complain about it anyways!" and I'm starting to doubt that hypothesis very much.

I'm starting to think that it really wouldn't be that hard to make a Star Wars film that the majority of existing fans enjoy, brings in new fans, and has a "Star Wars feel" to it. It seems like the PT and the ST has started to lose its footing over the fact that it is forcing narrative. Not necessarily political narrative, but plot contrivances and the idea that you have to surprise your audience in Star Wars (ie: subverting expectation.) Star Wars at its core is a simple story. You might think they couldn't retell the hero's journey in different settings, but why not? The majority of the best adventure movies are just repackaged hero's journey stories. As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars could leave well enough alone and create a new setting and new characters for the hero's journey inside the Star Wars universe and it would look just fine. Leave the old characters out of it and let them have the arc that made them popular. Bring in new characters and give them their own story. People will show up if it says Star Wars, and if it is a good relatable story they'll stick around for more.

... Just don't change the stories we grew up with.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does Woody Harrelson seem horribly out of place. I like him in many of his movies, but from the little I’ve seen in these trailers I feel he just doesn’t fit, feels off. I wonder if it’s because he’s such a unique personality with unique roles and that taints one’s perspective when it comes to this character in this setting. I know it’s hard to say not seeing the movie yet. Maybe it’s just me and it works out fine.......

Agreed; as of right now, I'm not thrilled about it. It's not his fault - as you said, unique personality and roles, and such a recognizable look and sound, that you swear you've seen him in 500 movies. You can't help but just see him as someone PLAYING a role. FWIW, that's what I (and probably most of us) loved about the OT as kids - you didn't know these people from anywhere, so they BECAME the character.

I've been thinking about people saying "It doesn't matter what they do with Star Wars because half of the fans will complain about it anyways!" and I'm starting to doubt that hypothesis very much.

But it's true.

Some people love the EU novels. Other than the Thrawn Trilogy, I think they're almost entirely trash. And I've read most of them (yes, I'm weak). If a SW movie felt like an EU novel, I'd feel like I was sitting through Comic Book Guy's fanfic. I'd want to die.

Other people are really into video games, and are very invested in those characters. I'm not. I think video games are dorky and boring.

Having said that, I love a lot of Star Wars comics (in my brain, they're NOT dorky. No, I can't explain myself). I would have loved a Dark Empire storyline, if the SE had been done earlier. I would also love Exar-Kun/Ulic-Kel-Droma movies. I imagine that some other fans would find that cheesy in the extreme.

I refuse to watch the SE. For some, the PT does not exist.

Then there's the bulk of ticket buyers who have no idea what the hell I've been talking about, because they're just regular folks who go to the movies and aren't invested the way super fans are. Those are the butts Disney needs in the seat. They pay the bills. But neither can Disney utterly write off fandom, because it's huge (and annoyingly, hysterically, shrill).

There is no pleasing everyone. If it was simple, they'd have done it.

I wonder how many people that now dislike the new Star Wars will go see this film just so they can post in the post-release thread for this movie at the end of the month :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back