Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Dude I'm literally coming up with most of these on the spot :lol.....but I'm pretty sure I've got some pretty good answers. I've been thinking about this for awhile.

Avoiding my question...again. What would it take?

Like avoiding the Raddus energy debt...that wasn't something on the spot, you have avoided that repeatedly.

Avoiding my question...again. What would it take?

Like avoiding the Raddus energy debt...that wasn't something on the spot, you have avoided that repeatedly.

Energy debt?

Your mass is zero at light speed, or an infinite amount of energy would be required to get you to light speed. You literally become massless.

I think what you meant to say, was you would have to be massless in order to reach c. Since, if you were an object with mass, your mass would go up to infinity as you approached c. Which is why you would need infinite energy to get to that speed.

Or, you could just spin up the hyperdrive... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think what you meant to say, was you would have to be massless in order to reach c. Since, if you were an object with mass, your mass would go up to infinity as you approached c. Which is why you would need infinite energy to get to that speed.

Or, you could just spin up the hyperdrive... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope, to travel at c, atleast in our universe, your mass has to be zero. Otherwise it has to be infinite, which would require infinite energy to get there, which is impossible.

I don't think we are on the same page. What's this energy debt

that thing that has REPEATEDLY been explained to you and is on this thread.

Okay, well, I got my answer. Nothing would change your mind. ;)

that thing that has REPEATEDLY been explained to you and is on this thread.

Okay, well, I got my answer. Nothing would change your mind. ;)

Oh wait I just saw your other posts. Okay so it travels at .99999999999% of lightspeed. And since the ships wouldnt technically made the actual jump until it was behind the fleet. It still works. And besides matter can't travel at lightspeed anyways. That's why Star Trek warps space around the ship, and in Star Wars they open up a bridge and from realspace to hyperspace. And travel in another dimenson. But of course there's the problem with the Falcon supposedly being able to go faster then light. But thats from the perfect OT so don't talk about that.

Nope, to travel at c, atleast in our universe, your mass has to be zero. Otherwise it has to be infinite, which would require infinite energy to get there, which is impossible.

Which is, exactly, what I said. It seems we are in violent agreement without even realizing it. Lol.

Which is, exactly, what I said. It seems we are in violent agreement without even realizing it. Lol.

Nothing violent :eek, but you had mentioned being massless to reach c. The faster you go, the greater your mass, the more energy required..

Look, the only way any of this works is if lightspeed is shorthand for traveling through hyperspace. Actual lightspeed isn't fast enough to traverse galactic distances in any kind of reasonable time frame.
Edit: Also, Star Wars is not and never has been hard sci-fi. Hyperdrives might as well be magicdrives. Trying to cram real world physics onto any of it, blasters, lightsabers, hyperspace, is a wasted endeavor. That is one gripe I share about TLJ and Solo, they reference realistic concerns about fuel as plot devices. The less Star Wars rubs up against problems that happen in our version of mundane reality the better imo.

Last edited:

Look, the only way any of this works is if lightspeed is shorthand for traveling through hyperspace. Actual lightspeed isn't fast enough to traverse galactic distances in any kind of reasonable time frame.
Edit: Also, Star Wars is not and never has been hard sci-fi. Hyperdrives might as well be magicdrives. Trying to cram real world physics onto any of it, blasters, lightsabers, hyperspace, is a wasted endeavor. That is one gripe I share about TLJ and Solo, they reference realistic concerns about fuel as plot devices. The less Star Wars rubs up against problems that happen in our version of mundane reality the better imo.

You had me until that last point.

SW is chock full of techno-mechanical "mundane reality" and that has always been one of its big strengths.

Han's special modifications. Parsecs. The speeder that isn't in demand since the new ones came out. Droids with bad motivators who take oil paths. "This one goes here, that one goes there!" The Falcon's hypderdrive. Etc.

Specifically OUR mundane reality. Those are fantastical world building elements.

What's the difference? Did they need to spell out some exotic name for the fuel? (Dilithium crystals?)

IMO that sort of thing can hurt believability as much as help it. It draws attention to elements that the audience is going to inevitably think a little bit too hard about. Whereas "we're running out of fuel" is something people can instantly relate to without further dwelling on it. The characters in the story wouldn't have thought any harder about it than "fuel" so that's all we really need to know.

It is exactly the kind of thing that George Lucas might have done in a SW movie 35 years ago.

Let me put it like this. Star Wars is epic science fantasy. Running out of gas is a plot device you might find in a comedy about plucky stoners on a midnight run to White Castle. It's just a nitpick that didn't feel right to me genre-wise.

Magicdrives......I love it!

This is why I tell people that Star Wars has more in common with The Lord of the Rings then say Star Trek. I mean you have magic swords, space magic, and space wizards.

Magicdrives......I love it!

This is why I tell people that Star Wars has more in common with The Lord of the Rings then say Star Trek. I mean you have magic swords, space magic, and space wizards.

Yea like mind-melds, beam me up scotty, warp drives, time travel, and numerous other weirdness in ST isn't magical....

ST isn't exactly the gold standard for hard SF, though it begs plausibility more than SW does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back