Graflex screw

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all
Looking for the screw that holds the black plunger peice. Is this a hardware store item I can buy or is it specific to the Graflex? Thanks

Hi all
Looking for the screw that holds the black plunger peice. Is this a hardware store item I can buy or is it specific to the Graflex? Thanks
Are you talking about the slotted screw between the rectangular slots?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Yes that's the one
I've seen replicas for sale on etsy. I'm not sure what size it is, though I'm fairly certain it isn't a specialty screw per se. There's a chance you could find one at a hardware store, but in my experience, I don't have luck finding little teenie screws at brick and mortar places. The few extra bucks you'd spend getting a single screw online is probably equivalent to the gas and headache you'd spend irl.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Do you have a vintage Graflex, or a replica? I can pull mine out and go to the hardware store if you'll let me know which Graflex you have.

So, quick trip to the hardware store and this is all I found. Thread pitch appears to be 4-40, 1/4" seems to screw all the way down to a stop flush.
The head of the screw is smaller than the vintage so you may want to buy the replica if you are looking for accuracy. Vintage on the right vs. hardware store on left.
Vintage vs Hardware store.JPG

To be honest, I'm not sure. You can try asking the folks at the Graflex Addicts page, someone's sure to have tried it.

Its a 4-40 oval head screw. I think its 3/8 but can check when I get home. I have a bunch if you need one. They look the same from the outside but the tapered part on the graflex is larger. I dont think anyone sells exact copies, just ones that look the same from the outside

Hey, here is a picture of the saber armory screw in my vintage graflex. It fits but it seems to me it should be a bit more flush to the surface.
on the right a quick replica I did myself from a flat screw that I turned on my drill:
ahsoka_lightsabers_17.JPG

the really weird part is that I bought a tap set with a 4/40 on the advices on the good folks here and it doesn't fit the tap when I do it. after all the trouble I went with, I finally tried the screw on a M3 hole that I tapped and it fit... a M3 screw doesn't fit the vintage graflex though... go figure....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back