The Lost World: Jurassic Park - RV Electronics *UPDATED*

Re: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - RV Electronics

There are two devices mounted with the DOD rackmount mixer. One above it and one below it. Both devices look like they might be the same thing. They are much more difficult to identify because there really isn't much to go on.

My best guess is that they are DOD 835 Series II audio crossovers. I haven't been able to find any other device that has the same knob and screw placement. And it makes sense to me that they would be the same brand as the rackmount mixer.

crossover.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - RV Electronics

UPDATE: I have identified this device as a Carver HTR-880 Home Theater Receiver.

So, there are two main devices inside the RV that I'm having a heck of a time trying to identify. I've pretty much exhausted my knowledgebase, so I'm wondering if you all would be able to help me identify these two devices.

First up is this device. It is rack mounted underneath the ICOM HF transceiver. It looks to me like it might be a piece of hi-fi audio equipment. Maybe an old hi-fi receiver? But, I've searched through a bunch of mid-90's hi-fi catalogs, and online auctions, and image databases, and I can't find anything that looks even close.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 3.29.54 PM copy.jpg

The main feature that stands out to me is the oval vacuum fluorescent display. It honestly looks kind of familiar to me, but I just can't quite put my finger on what brand/device would have a display shaped like that. Here are the clearest shots of this device that I could find. Does anyone have any idea what this device might be?

mystery.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - RV Electronics *HELP!*

UPDATE: I have identified this as a Gemini KM-707 rack mount audio mixer.

This device is mounted under the two lighting controllers, next to the large map of Isla Sorna.

mixer maybe.jpg

It looks to me like maybe a rack mount audio mixer. What is odd is that it would be a 6-channel mixer, which aren't very common. It looks like maybe the first three channels have XLR jacks at the top and a column of knobs underneath, and then the next three channels have maybe 1/4" jacks at the top, or maybe just three columns of knobs. Then, there might be an LED level meter to the right of those?

mystery 2.jpg

I've looked at all the different vintage rack mount mixers and DJ mixers that I could find, and nothing looks exactly right. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

FINALLY! I was finally able to identify the device mounted beneath the HF transceiver. It looks to me like it's a Carver HTR-880 Home Theater Receiver. In hindsight, it makes sense to me that it would be a Carver brand device. The power amplifiers mounted in the rack next to it are Carver brand as well.

CarverReceiver.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - RV Electronics *UPDATE*

The device next to Nick's camcorder is a JVC GV-PT2 Multimedia Printer.

printer.jpg

Last edited:

I sure hope the owner of the trailer has patched the roof. That water damage makes me cringe. Sorry but it had to be said. With that out of the way...

Very nice of you to go to all the trouble to identify the parts. If this is for a restoration project, it looks to be a pretty cool one.

I sure hope the owner of the trailer has patched the roof. That water damage makes me cringe. Sorry but it had to be said. With that out of the way...

Very nice of you to go to all the trouble to identify the parts. If this is for a restoration project, it looks to be a pretty cool one.
From what I understand, the owner is attempting to restore the RV back to its original 1997 condition as seen in the film. In all honesty, I'm identifying these parts 10% to help out the RV owner, and 90% because I love doing this type of stuff. I'm personally curious to know what all these parts are as well.

Last edited:

It looks to me like maybe a rack mount audio mixer. What is odd is that it would be a 6-channel mixer, which aren't very common. It looks like maybe the first three channels have XLR jacks at the top and a column of knobs underneath, and then the next three channels have maybe 1/4" jacks at the top, or maybe just three columns of knobs. Then, there might be an LED level meter to the right of those?

It's definitely a rack mixer, could be marked as a 3 or 4 channel unit with a seperate mic stage. Citronic makes some gear with a similar layout but nothing quite the same.

172776uk_co2.jpg

I believe the small bench vise is a PanaVise model 381 vacuum base vise. This vise is still manufactured and the current model looks pretty much like the one shown in the film.

vise1.jpg

Last edited:
I've got another mystery prop that I'm needing some help identifying. Does anyone have any clue what this might be?

I'm trying to identify the device(s) located below the rack mounted radio equipment. My first thought was that they might be old tape backup drives, but I haven't been able to find any tape drives that look the same. I'm stumped. :confused

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 9.26.49 AM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 9.28.21 AM copy.jpg

CLOSEUP:
comp.jpg

Last edited:
Those look like plastic cases, just slid into cubby holes in the wall (to me).

That was also my initial thought, but I noticed what seems to be red and green LED's on them. And branding badges of some kind. The fact that the "handles" are offset to one side makes me think they're not cases. To me, it looks like 3 identical items, set side by side. I think each item has two "handles." At least that's how my brain is interpreting the screenshots.

EDIT: Here is what I'm seeing as one of the three sections.

shape.jpg

Last edited:
I have asked the owner for the exact dimensions of the cubby that they sit in. The cubby doesn't appear to be very large.

Here's a pic of what the cubby looks like currently. The speaker holes on either side of it look like they might be for 6.5" automotive speakers. If that's what size the speakers are, the cubby looks like it might be around 8" high.

IMG_3401.jpg

Last edited:
I'd probably be way off with those items but I'm sure we can narrow it down somehow. Assuming that those are LED indicators, they're electronic in function and the fact that they have a carry handle implies they're either portable or quickly interchangeable. They could be perhaps some form or hard drive or server, as it was a research vehicle?

This is a great thread. I love this kind of thing.

In regards to the mystery items, could they be Uninterrupted Power Supplies?
I thought of that, too. But I haven't been able to find a UPS that has curved handles like that. I also thought maybe it's possibly a battery charger of some kind.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, not electronics, but those chairs look like some version of a Steelcase Sensor chair.

I believe they are. They're old Steelcase Sensor drafting chairs. I was clueless as to what type of chairs they were. Someone over on the RV Restoration Facebook page identified them as well. Good eye!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd probably be way off with those items but I'm sure we can narrow it down somehow. Assuming that those are LED indicators, they're electronic in function and the fact that they have a carry handle implies they're either portable or quickly interchangeable. They could be perhaps some form or hard drive or server, as it was a research vehicle?
Yeah, I was also thinking they might be old hard drive RAID arrays with removable drives, but I haven't had any luck finding any drive enclosures that look similar.

Last edited:
I was also trying to identify the brand badge that is on those devices. I thought that might give me a better idea of what they might be. But I haven't been able to figure out what the brand badge is. It's pretty blurry.

Last edited:
This is in reference to the prop I'm trying to identify in post # 23.

Back in 1997, Universal Studios in Orlando had an exhibit called The Lost World: Behind the Screams. It was a walk-through tour that showed costumes and props from TLW. I've only been able to find a few photos from this tour. One of the photos shows the mystery rack mounted prop on display in the exhibit.The problem is that it's a lo-res dark photo. I've brightened it the best I can, but it's still pretty much unrecognizable.

I'd really love to find hi-res photos that were taken at that exhibit back in '97 that show a close-up of that equipment.

EXHIBIT PHOTO:
Equip_brightened.jpg

SCREENSHOT FROM FILM:
mixer maybe.jpg

SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON:
both comparison.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back