Casting Material - Flexible/Bendable?

Jesuit24

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm planning on sculpting a lifesize Baby Groot, but I want the ability to bend the limbs and hold their new shape until I reshape them (think go from standing to sitting on a whim without it slowly reverting back to the original shape). What could I use for this purpose? It would need to be paintable and (ideally at least) moulded in regular RTV silcone since I have some on hand.

Flexible polyurethane might work. But you would need to embed wire if you want to bend it and have it hold it's shape.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Is that a foam? Can it be painted?

No, more of a high shore rubber. The stuff I use is A65 clear and can be pigmented, so there is no need to paint. If you need to add details like eyes, I am sure you could paint those or, if you are really brave, mix a small amount with black pigment and lay in the eyes.

I've been looking at reference shots and the colour seems pretty uniform, so pigmenting might actually work. Only difference in colour seems to be mossy areas on the head and in the recesses where it's much darker. Do you think the rubber would take washes/inks and glue for scenery moss/flock?

When I was planning on making MAG midsoles, I was going splatter the inside of molds with aqua, let that set up and then back fill with grey. Means I wouldn't have to paint.
I guess you could do the same with darker grey, green or even black.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back