The Expanse: Props & Found Parts

Best look so far at the 'mouthpiece' area of the Belter helmet. Retouched screencap:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.49.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.49.22 PM.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 281
From a preview of the next episode, number 7 (no spoilers!):

The Tycho-branded "Relief Packs" are actually Canadian-made Meal Kit Supply 3-course MREs with carefully applied stickers. The Canadian ones apparently have clear packaging, unlike the US market versions:

https://youtu.be/HWUSz98ibzA

MKS's website helpfully notes their MREs were used in "Helix" on SyFy as well.

-MJ

I'm considering a Miller space suit costume (or maybe a P&K one). You guys have been so helpful narrowing down everything.

I was wondering, do we have a source on the harness he wears? Or is it an actual combat vest? I know there's a holster for his Rhino on it. Also, I'm having trouble finding the right texture for the orange on his suit. I was thinking of sewing black bits on a regular orange flight suit, but I'm wondering what the orange is actually made out of given the odd texture:
the-expanse-201-202-safe-doors-and-corners-syfy.jpg

It seems like the forearm orange might be a rougher material than the rest.

It really does look like it has some kind of raised, honeycomb-like texture to it, but I have no idea what it may be.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.48.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.48.36 PM.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 278
  • shot0008.png
    shot0008.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
Nice pictures. Looking to TASM Spiderman cosplayers may be the answer since I've seen some suits with the raised honeycomb pattern on it. They usually use Tulip's Puffy Paint to get the raised edges. Can't imagine the effort it must take to do a whole Spiderman suit but may be doable for those small bits. As for the vest, it's definitely leather. Looks like it may be a hunting vest?

Double post, but I may have figured out the chest lights on the Miller/Belter space suit.

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.48.36 PM.jpg

It looks like the front fascia has been removed. Makes it so much harder to ID, but it could be a lead. It's the same shape as these although missing the screw holes:
620626_ALUM_Storm_QuadPower_web.jpg

It really does look like it has some kind of raised, honeycomb-like texture to it, but I have no idea what it may be.

Looks like they've stitched the kind of mesh used in crossing guard safety vests, etc. over the base flight suit. Something like this:
Safety_Vest.jpgVest_Mesh_Closeup.png

Millers vest looks like a pretty bog-standard assault vest.
If you search for something like "Cross Draw Assault Vest" it seems to come up with some pretty close matches.

Some of the rothco/clone type ones seem to have that harder-wearing fabric on the shoulders too. Plenty of surplus/airsoft retailers will sell these.

Re: The Expanse: Props & Found Parts

OK so I need some help on the Helmet lights.
I have the shoulder lights and will be printing red lens for them but the two lights up on the helmet I have come to a dead end. Here is the seal and resp cover.

IMG_4872.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking for the lights on the top of the helmet.LEAD-4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4841.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 156
Re: The Expanse: Prop Weapons

are these the lights used on the side of the helmet?

SecurityIng 4 Modes 1800Lm Waterproof Headlight 3 X CREE XM-L T6 LED Headlamp and Bicycle Light + 8.4V 4400mAh Battery Pack + Charger for Outdoor Hiking, Riding, Camping,

41EcH9acXRL.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea what the new helmet lights are. Haven't found an exact match. My best guess is that it's a bicycle light of some kind, but that is a guess. They seem to have a very distinctive housing. My greatest fear is that they may be 3D printed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.16.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.16.52 PM.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.17.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.17.01 PM.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.17.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.17.21 PM.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.15.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.15.21 PM.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.15.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 7.15.04 PM.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 137
I have assumed they are 3D printed as opposed to a "found" item. I ordered some small hands-free, LED head lamps from China with the idea of making new housings. First they took more than 45 days to arrive which was very unusual for most of the things I have ordered before from other vendors, Then when they arrived one did not work at all and for the other once it switched on, it could not be switched off. Again after hundreds of transactions with Chinese companies this was also a first. Flaky electronics did not worry me too much as I expected to have to rebuild the units anyway but the long delay and frustration really deflated my interest in the project for now.

I have assumed they are 3D printed as opposed to a "found" item. I ordered some small hands-free, LED head lamps from China with the idea of making new housings. First they took more than 45 days to arrive which was very unusual for most of the things I have ordered before from other vendors, Then when they arrived one did not work at all and for the other once it switched on, it could not be switched off. Again after hundreds of transactions with Chinese companies this was also a first. Flaky electronics did not worry me too much as I expected to have to rebuild the units anyway but the long delay and frustration really deflated my interest in the project for now.

It's a shame to hear that. I know how it feels when a project stalls because you're waiting on something in the mail for so long. I recommend giving the series a rewatch; that should bring back some interest. As for lights, I was looking into bike lights like this:

s-l1600.jpg

OK thanks for the heads up. Ill start solid works on them based off a bike light I have on order. Once I finish the UI on the backpack. I am using an old phone I have for the UI and will be printing it. once mounted to the backpack Ill start the paint job.
One more set of ref pics I could really use help on is the back of the helmet looks build up.

18034347_10213037684995816_1882325511615195924_n.jpgSo I am adding two fans one on the face plate the other at the rear of the helmet to remove heat from my head.
Also Ill reduce the size of the LED lighting to be more centered top and bottom of the face.

18034301_10213037684715809_1660981613545873912_n.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back