What'd you notice about Star Wars THIS time?

Oh no!!! now there are things we didn't notice about Star Wars that we didn't notice that other people noticed that only was a few posts ago that we didn't notice
LOL. Yeah, I hate it when other people don't notice my post and post the same thing that I had posted, but it happens. Sorry.

Things I noticed watching Jedi the other night...

Han never saw the Gold bikini... and because I assume that being a slave girl would be traumatic for Leia, she likely never put it on again after his site got better. Poor blind Han.

THIS GUY! This guy shot Luke in the robot hand like a BOSS. If Luke hadn't had his hand lopped off previously, this could have been a shorter fight.

photo (8).JPG

Well, depends. When between the desruction of Jabba's barge and getting back to their ships did Leia have a chance to change into some convenient spare clothes? The implication I take from the costume concept art is that she still had the bikini on under the robes:

leiamariasandstorm.png

And the whole notion is the basis for one of the fastest-selling-out pieces of Star Wars art ever, Chris Trevas' "His Vision Returns" (nice double meaning, there):

O7CMqu4.jpg

--Jonah

I never noticed bubble wrap on the snow speeder belts, I did know about zuckuss's eyes though... I'm on a mission now to find some falcon bubble wrap!

I'm curious about the tantive 4 buzzing past tattooine at the beginning. I always assume that in star wars, everyone is in hyperspace until they get to their destination.

So why was it there? Obviously the empire tracked them somehow.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

astroboy, how many times have you watched Star Wars...? ;) Opening crawl says Princess Leia is racing home aboard her starship and is being "pursued by the Empire's sinister agents" -- I would assume from the site of the battle to the handoff (Vader: "I have traced the Rebel spies to her."). As for why Tatooine, Leia says it in her message ("Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed.")

As for when they dropped out of hyperspace, considering the camera placement in the first shot as we pan down to Tatooine and the ship passes overhead, we're closer to the planet than its moons, so I'm betting they dropped out of lightspeed pretty darned close and were hoping to make it into the atmosphere before the Star Destroyer could catch them. That'd give them a bit of a lead, as the Imperial forces would have to prep and deploy landing craft.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
There are interdictor cruisers to bring ships out of hyperspace. Supposedly, they were an invention by novelist Timothy Zahn and that would make them an EU thing, but who really knows...
Interdictor cruisers are now canon: They are in the new novels and I thought I saw some in a preview to a Rebels episode.

I was thinking on the Death Star trench battle why the Rebels did not go directly at the exhaust port and not through the trench?

There are interdictor cruisers to bring ships out of hyperspace. Supposedly, they were an invention by novelist Timothy Zahn and that would make them an EU thing, but who really knows...
Interdictor cruisers are now canon: They are in the new novels and I thought I saw some in a preview to a Rebels episode.

Interdictors were first mentioned in West End Games' Star Wars RPG, but Tim Zahn was the first to use them in EU content. They showed up all over back in the day, most notably in the flight-sim games (all save the original X-Wing game). Yes, they're now canon thanks to Rebels. But not germane here. Leia was headng to Tatooine to get Obi-Wan -- she wasn't dragged out of hyperspace there.

As for the trench run, my presumption post-ROTJ was that since the Emperor's throne room was supposed to be up at the North Pole, the polar region was heavily shielded and required them to get in further away. Considering the shaft points out to space, approaching it straight on would make the most sense, so we have to presume they couldn't.

--Jonah

I was thinking on the Death Star trench battle why the Rebels did not go directly at the exhaust port and not through the trench?

Probably a case of linear or 2D thinking and/or WW II influences. How many times in Trek, & maybe other sci-fi as well, have writers come up with a scenario where the heroes are blocked by something they can't go around but never think about trying above or below the obstacle? Of course, one could also ask, even if Lucas was thinking in 2D, there's no reason why they had to fly in from so far back, they probably could have entered the trench at half the distance they did and still have plenty of time to line up their shot. Then again, that would greatly reduce the tension/drama of having to fly long and straight with TIEs behind you.

Apart from some installments of Babylon 5, some of the best non-2D space combat out there. Which is sad. And something I really, really want to see more of in the new films/Rebels.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
My own personal BS rationalized excuse for the trench run:

The Empire had sensed the potential danger of the thermal exhaust port and placed extra surface-to-air cannons/etc in the area. It's harder to shoot down rebel fighters inside the trench than if they were coming out of the sky at it. So the rebels elected to fight through the surface protection cannon fire at a less dangerous point farther away on the trench, and then fly inside it up to the exhaust port.

In high def on blu ray, it is no different and seen more ----Anakin in ROTS has weird happenings with his lips. See the scene when he says "General Grievous..shorter than I expected" so weird.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back