Help on sculpting a mask

well you could always use scaling.. measure your head and assume that his head in the picture is the same size as yours.. and you can do that math and make a small scaled ruler to measure the mask in different directions.. hope that helps.

Once you figure out the contour you'll need to sculpt it on a curved board to that shape for clay support and ease of molding. Consider also, the nose area, cheek and forhead contours. The best clay to use is an oil based clay that won't harden so you can walk away from the sculpture if you're not in a hurry. Clays like Plastalina, Roma, or Chavant will do nicely. Tools are user preference. Just look online for a good assortment of clay sculpting tools (wood and wire), and once you get them play around to figure out what each can do. Also experiment with texture stamps and sponges depending on the mask's texture. Make sure you find many reference photos to look off of.

I'm doing some sculpts for the first time myself. Def use oil-based clay. Also get some isopropyl alcohol from the drug store and have that handy. It's good for cleanup and for surface smoothing.

As far as tools, I bought a clay sculpting tool set from the local arts & crafts store. It had a bunch of wooden spatula-type tools with different shaped curves and tips on them. So far I haven't used a one. A couple years back I bought a set of mini stainless steel spatula type tools from a plastic-model shop. I use one of those and my fingers & thumbs. That's about it.

I can suggest to do lots of research and forum reading before you start.

~ KV

How bout the finish on the mask with that red almost sandstone look to it? And will i need to fire the oil based clay once i have it finished?

How bout the finish on the mask with that red almost sandstone look to it? And will i need to fire the oil based clay once i have it finished?

If you're using oil based clay or plasticene for the sculpt you'll have to take a mould off it to make the finished article in a more durable material(fibreglass for instance).For a one off piece a plaster mould would work,removing the clay after covering it with plaster,then sealing the plaster with wax/furniture polish/paint then laying up fibreglass before destructively removing the plaster.

The sandstone finish could be done with oxides used to colour plaster and cement by applying them to the inside of the mould before adding the fibreglass-may need a little experimantation with that though.

The other alternative is to sculpt it in Sculpey,this can then be baked hard and reinforced from behind with fibreglass if neccessary.

Hi, you could allways use gumtape as a cheep tryal just to famillarise yourself with the shape and design oof the mask,

Gumtape is great bbecause itit cheep and very easy to use.
you just wet the sticky side and stick it to something, in this case you can tick it to you face then once you have a few layers of that then peel it off and build up the rest of it.
You could then cover it in something else, maybe some kind of kitchen towel coverd in latex, might give you the feel you want it to.

Then after you have tryed it all waith that one you can then get on with a rubber latex version or whatever.

Allways start with a maquette when modelmaking, it helps to work out what you want to do in you mind.

I hope that is of some use.

Jimmy

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back