Scott D's Deleted Scenes Luke TFA Lightsaber With ROTJ Hero/V2 Additions (Pics)

Scott D

Sr Member
This is one of the 40 TFA Lightsabers that Anakin Starkiller offered on the RPF just a little over a year ago.

When I saw the original prop in the behind the scenes video, my first reaction was "Wow, they made a new Lightsaber for Luke." My second reaction was "Wow, that emitter has a big dumb stump sticking out of it."

Luke%20TFA_zpsxrw3tpo3.jpg

It looks they were trying to add a dash of Obi's ANH emitter along with the Graflex emitter pin, but it didn't work in my eyes.

I remember an interview with Episode I concept artist Doug Chaing talking about how he went home after seeing Star Wars and drawing/redesigning the X-Wing Fighters to make them look like what he thought they should look like. At the time, I thought that was kinda egotistical, but I've been doing the same thing over the years on many of my prop projects. I appreciate the RPF's desire for accuracy, but sometimes it'll be considered secondary for me.

There wasn't much to it. Easy-Off treatment on the parts to knock the shine down, drill out the stump, chopped up a 3/8" diameter bolt to get the unthreaded piece to make the insert and two 6/32 threaded holes with set screws to hold it in. The control box is bolted on with two countersunk 6/32 bolts.

It got a slight wash with rust colored paint mixed in with some brush cleaner solvent. It doesn't show up good in the pictures. Rustoelum flat black and dark copper spray paints were used.

I chose the "Hero" control box arrows because I thought the larger ones used on the prop was going to make it look like a Hasbro toy. Just my opinion. I have the larger arrows provided in Tomm's kit in case I ever change my mind.

Big thanks goes out to Anakin Starkiller, Tomm1999 and Sloathfurnace for offering the parts needed to make this project happen. This one was a warm-up for my next project, which is Anakin Starkiller's Luke V2 that I bought 2(?) years ago. It's the one with the spinning emitter. Pics coming soon.

TFA_1_zpsehdc8zpl.jpg

TFA_2_zpsbfazinoz.jpg

TFA_3_zpsqsv8hync.jpg

Luke%20TFA_zpsxrw3tpo3.jpg

TFA_1_zpsehdc8zpl.jpg

TFA_2_zpsbfazinoz.jpg

TFA_3_zpsqsv8hync.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice upgrade Scott :) ... I remember whilest wearing my jedi robe at SW CE II in Essen at a VIP meet and greet talking to Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig back in 2013, when they were still pre-designing stuff for Episode VII ... I asked them what would they personally like to see in Episode VII (the title TFA was not revealed by then and it was before J.J. revised the whole script/plot) ... of course they responded with everything we come up with potentially can be used visually in the movie eventhough Iain suggested a female jedi and more women lead roles ... so then they asked me what I would love to see in Episode VII . . . and after a pause that took just a bit to long I responded with : 'I'd like to see me in Episode VII' which of course was responded with utter laughter and enjoyment by them and all those attending . . . now in hinesight if only they had added and scripted me as a jedi or perhaps even a sith into TFA ... it would have been a far better story :lol

All that remains is my insignificant involvement from the sidelines regarding the purchases of the G R A F L E X and MPP by Foodles Co.UK

Chaïm

I'll be damned if that doesn't look some kinda decent. I've never cared for the Hero, in any iteration, but I can't say that this doesn't look great! The V2 additions to the emitter just gives it a lot more life...something the actual film needed heaps of...Can't wait to see what you do with your V2!

Great job. Even though I jumped in and completed mine, I may redo it once we see more in The Last Jedi. (If they don't change it that is)

Awesome job Scott. You should have been on production.

There are a lot of RPF members that could work wonders in the Lucasfilm prop department. If I was hired, all I can promise would be an occasional flash of inspiration and a supply of Peaksabers™ ready for filming. Stunt and hero versions!

Big thanks to everyone for the compliments. :thumbsup I was half-expecting to get raked over the coals for altering a semi-rare fan made prop, but I them remember Seth had made a nice Custom Battlefront style hybrid out of his Anakin Starkiller V2.

I got all of the parts mocked up on my V2 and I'm seeing one needed custom addition needed. That cone knob is way too sharp! Gonna have to lessen the point on it.

IMG_20170527_112626666_zpstgfz4hap.jpg

IMG_20170527_112626666_zpstgfz4hap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I have been wondering about the emitter on Lukes TFA saber. Your new modications may actually back up a theory I have. If we dig into this saber, we all know, it wasn't seen in the film. So, is this an unfinished saber? Seeing how it wasn't used, but they decided to introduce it on the bonus features may lean in the direction of unfinished. After all, how many sabers have this look to them. I'm not going to say there isn't one because I only study the sabers that interest me. Mainly the originals, so there may very well be one.

Last edited:
I think you may be overthinking it.

I don't think there was a decision to "introduce" the saber specifically in a behind the scenes video. They likely made it early in production before they knew fully what Luke's role was going to be. I'm sure there were multiple made because a prop department doesn't make one of anything. They went for the ISYHCANL/Cave build because it's what marketing has always presented as the hero.

Somebody didn't like the flat top, either the prop master, production designer, or JJ himself decided it needed more detail so they looked to the similar Obi-Wan hero as a guide. When the BTS crew rolled through, they just put one of everything on the table. Everything else there is as it appears onscreen so there's no reason to think that one in particular is "unfinished." It's Luke's saber with an Obi-Wan style emitter. I don't se anything that says more work needed to be done unless they decided to weather it.

Sidebar: a TFA/TLJ era weathered ISYHCANL might just make me like that thing...

Hi + apologies I've joined this conversation a little late - its interesting to read everyone's take on this new saber curiosity. Unfortunately I can't see Scott D's pics on here.
I saw Anakins run a while back and was also working on a very short run of this version - just finished the first one after some work difficulties - what do you think?
I also disliked the lug without the hole and although very hard to see on TFA Blu Ray ref pic - it looked to me that the top rails were less proud & decided to simplify like the ISYHCANL plus the circuit board is more like the V3 for now but in the process if re lasercutting new ones with the correct lines
Luke TLJ saber.jpg Luke TLJ side.jpg Luke TLJ top.jpg

Beautiful work!! What was your trick for aging the aluminum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - its kind of straight from the lathe really without any super polishing then speckled from a distance with black paint - some is still visible - gonna have another go - then rubbed with a cloth and touched in again with blackened/dirty Tamiya thinners and rubbed again to smear it a bit.

Hi + apologies I've joined this conversation a little late - its interesting to read everyone's take on this new saber curiosity. Unfortunately I can't see Scott D's pics on here.
I saw Anakins run a while back and was also working on a very short run of this version - just finished the first one after some work difficulties - what do you think?
I also disliked the lug without the hole and although very hard to see on TFA Blu Ray ref pic - it looked to me that the top rails were less proud & decided to simplify like the ISYHCANL plus the circuit board is more like the V3 for now but in the process if re lasercutting new ones with the correct lines
View attachment 750085 View attachment 750086 View attachment 750088

You can thank Photobucket for disabling roughly 15 years of my pictures posted on the RPF. I'll re-host them all some day.

Yeah, I have to say, Photobucket is really putting my RPF prop building research in a huge bind. On many many threads. :cry I'm finding myself reading as many posts as I can, & then going to Google photo searches & hoping for the best.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back