Luke TFA Behind the Scenes Lightsaber Community Build Thread

Re: Anakin Starkiller Luke TFA Lightsaber Build Thread

Is this the only reference photo available?

Haven't started on mine yet. Gonna go to the hardware store tomorrow and buy the countersunk screws needed to install the control box. I already have the oven cleaner to rough it up and I'm pretty sure I already have all of the paints needed.

Facing the emitter with the control box at 12 o'clock, it looks like the tri-ring is at 9 o'clock.

Luke%20TFA_zpsxrw3tpo3.jpg

Those who used oven cleaner what kind did you use?

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't started on mine yet. Gonna go to the hardware store tomorrow and buy the countersunk screws needed to install the control box. I already have the oven cleaner to rough it up and I'm pretty sure I already have all of the paints needed.

Facing the emitter with the control box at 12 o'clock, it looks like the tri-ring is at 9 o'clock.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...eplica Progress Pics/Luke TFA_zpsxrw3tpo3.jpg

For some reason on the pic you post if you look at the control box at the front looks like a weld or brownish like a burn or something?

Those who used oven cleaner what kind did you use?

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason on the pic you post if you look at the control box at the front looks like a weld or brownish like a burn or something?

I'm curious to know what brand oven clean was used as well.

as for the control box, i think that is just weathering, and I'm pretty sure the paint they used is this

http://www.dirtydown.co.uk

the website says they supplied the spray paint for episode 7.

sorry i had alittle family emergency while posting the last post, i didnt even notice i liked post. anyway everyone is ok now, i wanted to say the grit and grim on the control box looks like these paints used from dirty down. a man in this youtube video shows techniques with the stuff and it looks to me the same on the saber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-yqH-6mas

Wow, the Dirty Down paints look great - may have to look for a stateside source for that.

I hate to say it, but looking at the rust(?) on the front of the control box, one thing I see is a few millimeters of saber-body before the 'grip section' starts. That looks to me like the control box should be slightly shorter, maybe by 2-3mm. I'm sort of considering looking for a local machine shop that can shorten my control box a little bit.

Does anyone think there are rails on top of the control box? The control box looks like it takes a pretty thick card, even with how deep the groove for it is.

Does anyone think there are rails on top of the control box? The control box looks like it takes a pretty thick card, even with how deep the groove for it is.

thats what i think buddy, i think the card and the rails are 2 different pieces. so it would be 3 pieces sitting on the box, 2 individual rails, and 1 thick card

That was my guess and thankfully Brad can make the cards the thickness we need. I really think the rails are just rectangle shaped, not grooves needed like the ROTJ hero

thats what i think buddy, i think the card and the rails are 2 different pieces. so it would be 3 pieces sitting on the box, 2 individual rails, and 1 thick card

That was my guess and thankfully Brad can make the cards the thickness we need. I really think the rails are just rectangle shaped, not grooves needed like the ROTJ hero

yes i agree with you, i dont believe this is made to slide open. i think the top rails are just flat as well. i think if the center card is made thick enough vertically and horizontally the card can be pushed into the box

its times like this i wish i had a 3d printer and new how to use it, that way i would print rails and a card for the heck of it. but I'm at the mercy of someone else coming up with something

:(

this is one of the reasons I may just wait until there are more photos before I start my build. also, the finish can change in the film. I'm sure there will be some sneak peaks soon enough with better references. TFA reference shots were out well before the release so it shouldn't be too long of a wait.

this is one of the reasons I may just wait until there are more photos before I start my build. also, the finish can change in the film. I'm sure there will be some sneak peaks soon enough with better references. TFA reference shots were out well before the release so it shouldn't be too long of a wait.

I'm going to mimic as much as i can from that one photo. I'm sure when ep8 gets closer, more pictures will surface and like every other prop multiple versions of this saber will be out there. so i imagine more updated runs will happen.

i will keep this saber because of history behind it, all the people here on therpf who pulled together and contributed to finish it. part of prop collecting for me is telling a story, when asked about this saber (if it was done and on display) i would explain the team work that went into it, and what each guy contributed. its fun for me lol

I bought this knowing it isn't ever going to be 100% accurate. Like Halliwax said, it's a fun and low-cost project, thanks to Dan.

I bought this with the same intention as you guys. Fun group build as well as low cost. I along with others have already pre ordered toms completion kit, so while waiting, I was hoping for a possible new shots. I plan on having a small collection for the new releases to go with my original film props. This is a nice start. I'm glad we have the group build log here so everyone that got in on this run can bounce ideas off each other.

I bought this with the same intention as you guys. Fun group build as well as low cost. I along with others have already pre ordered toms completion kit, so while waiting, I was hoping for a possible new shots. I plan on having a small collection for the new releases to go with my original film props. This is a nice start. I'm glad we have the group build log here so everyone that got in on this run can bounce ideas off each other.

yes thats another great thing is everyone sharing their ideas, this is why i love this community so much. everyone is willing to help

Okay after reading your guys replys so I brighten up the pic and drew up an image of what I think looks like the control box but for some reason I think the control box is slightly at an angle I added a pic of khals Luke and the control box is shorten compared to the Rotj image.jpegimage.jpegimage.pngimage.jpg

Okay after reading your guys replys so I brighten up the pic and drew up an image of what I think looks like the control box but for some reason I think the control box is slightly at an angle I added a pic of khals Luke and the control box is shorten compared to the Rotj

I definitely agree that the sides look angled slightly. Not sure what my feeling is on the rails yet. I think I'll be adding the angles to my control box when my box arrives. Should be easy for me to mill some rails but with the reference photo we have its difficult to judge what is needed.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back