Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
If memory serves, there was a "prequel" comic for the first JJ Trek film that was meant to explain how we get from the era of TNG/DS9/Voyager to the rebooted timeline, and it showed Spock going back in time with his red matter ship or whatever.
Oh my, talk about over-explaining...to be fair this is the kind of stuff ancilliary material should be about. It was explained perfectly okay in the movie how old Spock got there. If they want to expand on that and make it a Star Trek episode of its own, fine, pretty uncalled for all things considered but it's a bit of extra. Similarly if there was a comic book (and I'm sure there is or soon will be) about how an ugnaught found Luke's lightsaber in his toilet in Bespin, that's fine, whatever, I don't care cuz it doesn't really affect the film and does not give information the film cannot live without. On the other hand...

Part of the issue is that the stuff that gets left out and stuck in the comics/novelization is (in some cases) stuff that isn't immediately relevant to the story the characters are experiencing, but is really important to the audience in establishing how/why things are different from where we left off. So, it isn't really "necessary" for purposes of telling this particular story, but it is necessary for providing the audience with context and not treating events known across the galaxy as a "mystery" to be solved. So, all of the stuff about the difference between the Resistance and the Republic, where the First Order came from and how it got so freakin' powerful, what happened to Luke's Jedi academy, etc., etc., all of that could (and in my opinion should) be conveyed in the film. You don't have to have, like, some big history lesson about what happened between the films, but at least some better contextualization was necessary in TFA (in my opinion).

That, however, is different from some of the basic nuts-and-bolts stuff about "Why is Rey so powerful?" Unless that's specifically part of her journey and we as the audience are meant to share her ignorance and confusion, there's no reason to withhold it. A lot of that is JJ's fault, but I'll admit that Rian could've handled some of that better himself. A 2 second scene with Luke where he explains the concept of a "vergence" or whathaveyou could've helped. Or he could've simply described the Force having a will of its own an lifting up people seemingly at random, much like his own father, and much like himself. (e.g., "You see me as powerful, but there's no reason I had to be. It's all the will of the Force. In the early days of the Old Republic, Jedi were allowed to have children, and just as often as not, those children had no ability with the Force. But enough of them did, and enough of those children were sufficiently strong that the Republic grew fearful of them. The Jedi knew they could be wiped out of the Republic ever felt truly threatened by them, so they forbid marriage and children. But the Force found other ways, just as it always does...")
This is spot on. You don't necessarily need someone to mug and tell the audience that this or that is now happenning. You can write or direct the movie the way you want to tell your story if you are good at your craft. The lack of background in TFA is a big issue I have with the movie and it could have taken 2 minutes to solve.
That being said I had no real problem understanding what was going on during Ren's mind-probe scene. It was very visual and very internal story-telling but it worked for me and had no problem to understand that Rey's instinct to resist him lead to her "awakening" just like her piloting the Falcon started the ball rolling. I never thought that she downloaded Kylo's training and I still think that's just plain stupid, but there was a clear moment there for me. Maybe a short line as you say at the end of TFA or in TLJ to compensate to exactly why she is SO powerful could have helped but the overall process to me was okay. The "how" was sorted, the "why" would not have been that difficult to address.

I watched Dune before I read it, and I really enjoyed it. Over time, though, I've come to believe that the book is essentially unfilmable. It's just too dense to get across everything that's important, much like Watchmen. You can do it, but it still doesn't do the work justice.
I like Lynch's Dune for its atmosphere, music, casting is spot on, I like the production design (with the exception of some props and models that are basically just cubes and boxes). But yea, it's a really difficult one to film, especially that the overall message is that Paul is just a very naughty boy and not the messiah, and this is how religion and legends can be exploited for personal goals, yet every adaptation paints him as the true chosen one leader of the fremen...I'm really really rooting for Denis Villeneuve and was very happy to see that it's gonna be split into two movies. Similarly I just finished reading Annihilation and I'm happy Alex Garland took a different direction and just worked with the basic concept and themes of the novel as that book is unfilmable as it is too.

The tone of TLJ -

I agree this was the movie's biggest offense. That, and the comedy that is such an outgrowth of it. I think it burned people more than any of the specific things they complain about.

Rey, Anankin, and Mary Sues -

Anakin was a Mary Sue in terms of force-power but that was his whole character. He still had flaws.

I agree with the common sentiment that Rey has been way too quick with this force stuff. No matter how we excuse it, she still seems to learn things in hours that took Luke years. If we're going to attribute so many other issues in these new movies to simple bad writing (and not some underlying plan) then I refuse to give Rey's powers a pass.

The force's capabilities (moving objects and stuff) are already old-hat to the audience. Now the writers think it's too boring to draw out the process of the characters learning it every time. Sorry, but that craps on the logic of this fictional universe. They need to find an entertaining way to still make this a slow/difficult process. Rey didn't just learn it faster than Luke, she basically learned it at the drop of a hat. When Ep#7 came out I recall a lot of speculation that she might be an already-trained Jedi with her memory wiped. That made more sense than her absurdly rapid learning process.

Wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but fandom is growing more and more toxic.

I swear some people are just f*c*ing garbage:

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1003833275738013697

Totally Agree , whether they’re ‘ fans ‘ of Star Wars , those just wanting to promote their own ideological agenda or both , it’s not o.k. to harass , intimidate or threaten anyone for delivering a role they were given .

I’m wondering if RJ is having second thoughts about his purposeful intention in making films that in his own words “ wanting opposing reactions to his films “ - I’m paraphrasing this of course ...
There’re too many interviews with him on YouTube where he’s mentioned enjoying peoples pro /con - reactions to his films .

:cheersGed

Last edited:

Jaitea said:
viewpost-right.png

This is old news,...but I thought I'd reiterate it.

Do a search for the WORST episode of Breaking Bad

You will find "Fly"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_(Breaking_Bad)

Directed by Rian Johnson

Theres a surprise

J

Do a search for "best Breaking Bad episodes" and guess what comes up?

Not only does Fly make the list of best... so does Ozymandias, which received critical acclaim and is hailed by many, not only as Breaking Bad's best episode, but, one of the greatest episodes of television ever.

(Fly was also produced with the mandate that it be made with a huge cut in budget. Time, EW, Vulture and others raved about the episode... and I don't think anyone can deny the performances in the episode).

Yes, but it's still the same polarising Rian Johnson...Fly is a prime example & replicates the exact reception of TLJ

...IF... he is still involved in the next trilogy lets hope he has that 'make your trademark' out of his system & can create something more universally pleasing like Ozymandias,...
I'd say LFL will make sure the same mistake of TLJ doesn't happen again

J

viewpost-right.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but it's still the same polarising Rian Johnson...Fly is a prime example & replicates the exact reception of TLJ

...IF... he is still involved in the next trilogy lets hope he has that 'make your trademark' out of his system & can create something more universally pleasing like Ozymandias,...
I'd say LFL will make sure the same mistake of TLJ doesn't happen again

J

If if you remove the legacy characters from TLJ and tell almost the same story with new ones I would hazard to say it would be less polarizing. Given a blank canvas I think Rian can craft a great story.

With this abomination of a film, more Star Wars fans walked into the theater than walked out, which is the opposite effect that Marvel movies have been having on audiences.

They weren't much of a fan then, IMO. I swear some of you would leave your child at a rest stop because he didn't wash his hands before dinner one evening. For SOME, TLJ was a mis-step. One film out of 10. One film out of hundreds of hours of TV, a bajillion pages of books and comics...ONE film you didn't like.

I hated the Fly episode of Breaking Bad also. Worst episode of the series. I didn't walk away from Breaking Bad. It is an amazing show, with one or two lesser episodes, and one really bad one.

If if you remove the legacy characters from TLJ and tell almost the same story with new ones I would hazard to say it would be less polarizing. Given a blank canvas I think Rian can craft a great story.
You mean setting grumpy Luke and Leia Poppins aside there would be no polarizing effect on how Rey and Snoke were handled, no complaints about Holdo and Poe, Rose would be beloved, Finn would be a useful character, DJ would be interesting and the Canto Bight sequence would make sense?

You mean setting grumpy Luke and Leia Poppins aside there would be no polarizing effect on how Rey and Snoke were handled, no complaints about Holdo and Poe, Rose would be beloved, Finn would be a useful character, DJ would be interesting and the Canto Bight sequence would make sense?

I do, Luke has emerged the overwhelming issue for so many it does beg the question remove him entirely from the story, make him a new character Rey interacts with that doesn’t have all the baggage and it’s a very different conversation. I’m not saying it alleviates all criticism but does rectify that which so many find the most egregious.

Not sure where you're able to interpret my emotional state, but hey, whatever tickles your pickle, I guess.

No, because in the real world, the Force doesn't exist. Your example isn't comparable. A better example in-universe would be Threepio's comment to Han about the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field, and Han doing it anyway, and then pointing out that that's not the Force. Except that example wouldn't really work, either, because the movie intentionally lampshades that Luke is able to make the shot because he uses the Force, and strongly implies that he has always had this ability.

Blocking a blaster shot with a lightsabre is the equivalent to playing a chord on a piano? Really? The implication from the film is that Luke is able to do this because he's exceptionally strong in the Force, and he picks up the concept very quickly. You're trying to argue that Luke is somehow not as "overpowered" as Rey is because he has to work to gain his abilities. I'm saying that Luke had exceptionally strong raw ability just like Rey did, and that he picked up techniques to use that raw ability quickly just like Rey did. And he did it without much tutoring, because he's exceptionally strong in the Force, just like Rey is. Therefore, Luke and Rey are comparable in their power levels, and arguments that Rey is "too" powerful aren't really supported by what's on screen in the films. It's just a gut feeling that people have, based on a double-standard.

That's purely speculation on your part. Where's it supported in the films? Is it even addressed in the novelizations of the films? Within the films, within what we actually see, Luke is able to do a ton of stuff just...on his own. He isn't trained by anyone else. He's not given a manual of exercises to do. He doesn't have a Jedi holocron or whathaveyou to teach him. He just...does stuff. Same as Rey. If you want to claim that Rey gets her abilities too quickly, fine and dandy, but that also applies to Luke and Anakin just as much. And, for what it's worth, the novelization of TLJ apparently explains that when Ben mind-probes Rey, she manages to absorb his knowledge of Force techniques, which is why -- immediately after that point in the film, she's suddenly really good at using the Force. I tend not to put a lot of stock in novelizations (even though they're officially canon), but the info is out there.

Again, you're assuming that Luke had years of practicing on his own. How do you know that Rey hasn't been doing the exact same thing all on her own during her years on Jakku? Both are equally valid assumptions, which is to say that neither are supported by anything we see in the films, and both are pure guesswork on either of our parts.

It's in the movie itself. Qui-Gon says Anakin is immensely powerful. People say Anakin is the only human able to do the podraces at all, let alone win them. The implication here is -- or at least should be -- pretty obvious: he's able to do all this stuff because he can use the Force and because he's exceptionally powerful in using it.

Look, I'm not really interested in engaging with you on the whole issue of the "SJW agenda" and whatnot. I don't know whether you really, truly believe this sort of thing, or whether you're just kind of unsatisfied in a general sense about the films and this is the argument you've absorbed to try and provide what you think is a legitimate framework for your dissatisfaction. All I'm gonna say about that is you ain't doing yourself any favors when you trot that stuff out, and there's a reason why folks end up being dismissive of those views. You can claim that that's "insulting the fans," but I'd say the fans are being pretty insulting all on their own when they start making the "SJW agenda" argument, and are basically just getting back what they're giving.

At the end of the day, there's one standard at play here, and it's equally applicable to Luke and Rey and Anakin. They're all "overpowered." That's the point. They're supposed to be. They're all exceptional characters who are capable of doing things with the Force even without training, because they're exceptional. If Rey is a Mary Sue, then so are Anakin and Luke. Or, perhaps, they're just exceptional characters who are extremely skilled in the Force.

I don't really see that as a fault. I mean, that was up to JJ and Kathleen Kennedy. They're the ones who chose to give Rian free reign. I like what he came up with. I like it a lot better than what JJ came up with, actually.

That was kind of my point, though. Yes, JJ created a film that had people speculating. But it was speculation based on him engaging in this meta-narrative technique of withholding information that everyone within the story's framework already knows. The characters all know more than the audience. They know the answers to the "mysteries" that JJ introduced. The only reason they're "mysteries" at all is that JJ didn't have the characters engage with this information or provide it to the audience, and he did that specifically to build anticipation and excitement over trying to figure out the answers, rather than about the actual story or what the characters were doing. This is no different from a horror movie having a character slowly wander in a space, building up tense music to a crescendo, and then having a cat jump out from behind a trashcan to scare the character. It's using a particular technique to simulate a response in the audience, rather than doing the real thing. In the horror movie, you're simulating fear by using basic techniques to trigger the audience's fight-or-flight response...but nobody's actually afraid. In JJ's "mystery box" approach, you're simulating the audience's interest in the story by withholding information from them and having them become interested in the withheld information itself...but they aren't really all that interested in the actual story. The withheld information isn't really story, unless it's part of the characters' journey. The revelation of Rey's parents is only meaningful if Rey doesn't already know it herself. But JJ doesn't do any of the work to establish that Rey doesn't know who her parents are. Not once in TFA is there any indication that Rey (A) either has no idea who they even are, or (B) thinks the wrong thing about them (e.g. thinks that the people who left her on Jakku are mom and dad, but in fact it's someone else or she's a clone or whatever). JJ never shows what Rey knows or doesn't know. So, the audience's experience of finding this out is all about the audience's interaction with the information, rather than Rey.

It's not until TLJ that we start to find out what Rey thinks about her parents. She thinks (apparently) that they were junk traders who traded her away for drinking money, and are lying dead in a ditch somewhere on Jakku. And that belief is really important to Rey and her journey, specifically because (as the movie implies) she wants to find out they're something else to prove that she's more than just a nobody. She's looking to something external to give herself meaning in the galaxy...and what matters is that ultimately she creates that meaning for herself through her choices and actions. She defines herself, rather than being defined by something external (e.g., her parentage).

And here's what I think is the really cool part: even that could all still be wrong. There's actually nothing stopping JJ from doing a big reveal down the road that Rey's parents are something other than what Kylo Ren described them to be, and what she believes them to be. And while I would prefer that they actually are nobodies, I do think that Rey's journey and her self-creation will survive even if she draws additional strength from the knowledge of who her parents are. It won't (I hope) diminish the importance of her deciding on her own "I don't care who my parents were. I'm someone, and I'm choosing to take this path because it's the right path." So, even if Rey turns out to be a Kenobiwalker or whatever, the reveal will (again) be more for the audience and not for Rey. Rey's journey in relation to the identity of her parents is already basically done. A reveal of fabulously powerful heritage won't change that, although it'll change one of what I think is the underlying messages in TLJ: that anyone can be a hero, and that what matters is not where you come from, but who you choose to be. In other words, birth isn't destiny, and even a lowly stable hand can rise to be a hero without requiring the additional benefit of secretly being a prince or whathaveyou.

Ok, here's the thing about the speculation on Luke's "home schooling" in the Force without a tutor. Even if that's the case....it still only supports the notion that Luke is incredibly powerful. To be able to teach yourself to use the Force, when there used to be entire academies dedicated to this task, suggests that Luke is a natural talent. That's fundamentally no different from, say, Anakin using the Force to fly podracers, or Rey using the Force to defeat Kylo Ren in a duel (after he'd been shot by a bowcaster that we've already seen can blow people, like, 40 feet backwards).

Ok, so, hang on a second. Are you arguing that Anakin is a Mary Sue as well? And that, of the three of them, only Luke is the one who makes sense because the Force ought to be purely hereditary?

Also, as I mentioned above, we could still end up finding out that Rey has some fantastic lineage. I'd prefer that we didn't, but it could still happen. Jury's still out there.

I agree with all of this. These are good examples of Luke's journey as a character.

I think we've learned more than just that.

She did refuse the call-to-adventure like Luke, because she wanted to get back to Jakku, and I think this illustrates her biggest flaws.

I see Rey as having two problems. First, she's all bound up in waiting for her folks to come back, but that ties into the second larger problem, in that she's basically afraid for most of the films of taking responsibility, even though her instinct is to do so. That touches on her refusal to take the sabre, her refusal to embrace her power, and her attempt to literally hand off her responsibility to Luke at the end of TFA/start of TLJ. Rey looks outward to everyone else to "solve it." She's waiting on Jakku for her parents to come save her, thereby refusing to save herself. She wants to go back to Jakku for that reason, after seeing BB-8 off safely. She's unwilling to take up the mantle of the Jedi and turns down the sabre, then when she takes it, she only does so out of her transferred attachment to Han and desire for revenge, rather than for any larger good. Then she tries to get Luke to come back and save the galaxy. Up until her lessons from Luke and her cave vision, and her realization that Luke lied to her and refuses to save the galaxy, she repeatedly turns her back. It's only after the cave -- after she confronts her fears and overcomes them, and in so doing chooses to create her own path -- that she says "Well, screw it, then. I'll have to do it myself."

In many respects, I think this is more abstract and less obvious. It's much more of an internal conflict, and it drags on a lot longer than Luke's (although Luke had other flaws). And to be fair, we haven't seen if Rey's character traits remain flaws for her the way they did for Luke. There's still a third (or more?) movie(s) dealing with her in which that will be revealed.

Anyway, all that aside, I do want to say that I continue to enjoy discussing this stuff with you, Psab Keel. I may not agree with your assessments, but I appreciate your perspective.

As always, VERY solid points, dan. You have a knack for saying it far better than I could.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of my conflict with Rey's character has to do with the fact that the Dark Side side doesn't seem to have any effect on her in that she is not tempted by it or swayed in any way by it.

But the Dark Side DOEs tempt her... and she goes straight for it!

In Luke's own words: "You went straight to the Dark Side! It offered you something you wanted, and you didn't even try to stop yourself!"

For SOME, TLJ was a mis-step. One film out of 10. One film out of hundreds of hours of TV, a bajillion pages of books and comics...ONE film you didn't like

It wasn't JUST the film. It was Disney's response to the fan's critique of the film. Many fans felt a bit of disdain the Disney higher ups projected onto the fan base. That's a powerful message and for some a very difficult pill to swallow. But the choice NOT to see a movie will always be with the audience. I think most people would / did take a step back after what they felt was insulting.

It wasn't JUST the film. It was Disney's response to the fan's critique of the film. Many fans felt a bit of disdain the Disney higher ups projected onto the fan base. That's a powerful message and for some a very difficult pill to swallow. But the choice NOT to see a movie will always be with the audience. I think most people would / did take a step back after what they felt was insulting.

I agree with you on this point. They were not great about how they handled the criticism. It's partly the fans' fault though for being so insanely petty and awful. I always felt like companies should communicate far less with the fans. For just one example: I was into Masters of the Universe Classics figures, and the way fans treated the poor guy who managed these TOYS was insane. You'd think he was Pol Pot, not some middle management dude whose job was to communicate with fans on forums. And there's so many fans, it's impossible to please all of them. Best just to create your product and present it without comment, let it speak for itself. I've literally never seen any good come of communicating with a fan base.

Rey didn't just learn it faster than Luke, she basically learned it at the drop of a hat. When Ep#7 came out I recall a lot of speculation that she might be an already-trained Jedi with her memory wiped. That made more sense than her absurdly rapid learning process.

If you recall in TLJ, Snoke says that he had warned Kylo Ren that as he rose in power, so too would his counterpart in the Light grow stronger. Snoke was even aware that the two were rising quickly, and that apparently the Force was augmenting Rey to position her to be a match for Kylo and his training which Snoke had given him. It's my opinion that Snoke was fully aware that each time he trained Kylo, the Force would give Rey more power to compensate, and he was tantalized by the possibility.

That last part is just my opinion, but the dialog is there in TLJ that Snoke was aware of Rey being raised by the Force in steps to match Kylo's progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but fandom is growing more and more toxic.

I swear some people are just f*c*ing garbage:

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1003833275738013697

I completely agree. And sadly the internet gives a voice to all.. even people who would attack an actress like Kelly just to feed their own vitriol for a film.

Last edited:
... Best just to create your product and present it without comment, let it speak for itself. I've literally never seen any good come of communicating with a fan base.

BINGO!!!! As you said, you'll never make everybody happy. But one insult and/or negative comment aimed directly at the fan base can result in a mass exodus of that very base! Most people would stand back and ask "...why should I continue to give my hard earned money to anybody who is so ready and 'willing' to insult me for having an opinion? They already got my money seeing the movie, now you're going to add insult to injury?" It just made no sense to a LOT of people. Those people took a HUGE step backwards.

I wouldn't call it "petty" to be passionate about something you love and hold dear. Maybe "Extreme" might be a more fitting word. But we're all passionate about something in our lives. :)

I completely agree. And sadly the internet gives a voice to all.. even people who would attack an actress like Kelly just to feed their own vitriol for a film.

Side note - my brother judges a kid's baking competition on tv - last year this little 10-year-old girl wins, and a bunch of mouth breathers on social media jumped all over her, saying some of the worst **** I've ever seen/heard - saying they wanted to sexually assault her, crap like that - I mean stuff you can't imagine ever saying to a kid - mind boggling...

I do, Luke has emerged the overwhelming issue for so many it does beg the question remove him entirely from the story, make him a new character Rey interacts with that doesn’t have all the baggage and it’s a very different conversation. I’m not saying it alleviates all criticism but does rectify that which so many find the most egregious.
To me that sounds like saying "if Jar Jar Binks wasn't in Phantom Menace it would be well regarded". Jar Jar is the most jarring thing (no pun intended), the one that everyone could put their finger on, but there were problems galore with TPM apart from him. Plenty of issues that I'm pretty sure many viewers won't be able to identify unless pointed out such as pacing, boring camerawork, inconsistent tone, etc but they all contribute to the film not working. Similar story when the studio tried to blame the failure of Terminator Genisys on Emilia Clarke's performance.
I haven't made a survey but my impression is that most of the problems and complaints actually lie with the treatment of Rey and Snoke next to the treatment of Luke. Not to mention Rose and Holdo as a new characters.

I wouldn't call it "petty" to be passionate about something you love and hold dear. Maybe "Extreme" might be a more fitting word. But we're all passionate about something in our lives. :)

You're right, petty was the wrong word. Believe me, SW has been an almost daily part of my life since the late 70s, so I get the passion. I don't always agree with how it's expressed, but I get it.

You're right, petty was the wrong word. Believe me, SW has been an almost daily part of my life since the late 70s, so I get the passion. I don't always agree with how it's expressed, but I get it.

Absolutely! Couldn't have said it better myself. We all get a little "extreme" from time to time. :)

Hmmm....I'm not so sure about that,....story-wise the film doesn't really go anywhere, it just touches on OT scenes, then suddenly does the opposite thing you are expecting,...there are more OT homages/pisstakes in this film than TFA, the logic of the story doesn't work, the humour is misplaced (Bathos),.....those are some of the issues without mentioning the legacy characters & how they are mistreated

J

Side note - my brother judges a kid's baking competition on tv - last year this little 10-year-old girl wins, and a bunch of mouth breathers on social media jumped all over her, saying some of the worst **** I've ever seen/heard - saying they wanted to sexually assault her, crap like that - I mean stuff you can't imagine ever saying to a kid - mind boggling...

The ugly side of humanity... and the internet gives even them a platform.

I personally think this phenomena is at the root of many of the social problems we have nowadays... simply because in the past this sort of thing would have had very little--if any--exposure. But because of the internet, it gains traction.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back