SOLO movie new Stormtrooper rifle

Maybe, but wow, what a completely uninspired attempt at creating a rifle that would exist in the Star Wars universe. Doesn't look like much went into creating that IMO. Hopefully the details were lost in the small recreation needed for toys and the real prop has a bit more. Looks like they just added a muzzle and copied the Sterling magazine feed.

But those small changes did a lot to change the look of that gun, it actually looks a bit more sci-fi IMO and less like something you would see on an actual battlefield. And they came up with that 40 years ago. I know this movie takes place pre-OT but even the prequel trilogy movies had some decent blaster designs. That just doesn't look "sci-fi" enough, I'm curious to see the real prop. It very well could just seem that way because of scaling. Then again the MG34 for the Sandtrooper is just that with very few mods.

Enfield, Mauser or Mosin...could be any of these based on these pictures

Curious to see the actual screenused weapon, the TK not so much...what the hell does he have a cape for?

azheat01 -- as opposed to things like this?

latest?cb=20151106045513.png

Or this?

latest?cb=20060317044618.jpg

Heck, for that one they just stuck one of their dummy airplane engine cylinders behind the muzzle brake and wrapped some flashgun cord around the barrel between it and the sight to hold it in place. I was too young to be aware of it, but apparently at the time a lot of older moviegoers recognized many of the real-world items used in Star Wars and the minimal alterations done to 'skiffy' them and derided the cheapness of the production on that basis.

I like this blaster, and the trooper carrying it. I want more details. :)

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with azheat01. Totally uninspiring design. Stick a plunger on the end of it and you can use an Enfield for a Dalek weapon. There are a lot of current weapon designs out there that can be easily modified to look futuristic, but this isn't one of them. For one thing, its too well known.

TazMan2000

@azheat01 -- as opposed to things like this?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...er_DICE.png/revision/latest?cb=20151106045513

Or this?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...blaster.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060317044618

Heck, for that one they just stuck one of their dummy airplane engine cylinders behind the muzzle brake and wrapped some flashgun cord around the barrel between it and the sight to hold it in place. I was too young to be aware of it, but apparently at the time a lot of older moviegoers recognized many of the real-world items used in Star Wars and the minimal alterations done to 'skiffy' them and derided the cheapness of the production on that basis.

I like this blaster, and the trooper carrying it. I want more details. :)

--Jonah

I didn’t say all weapons from the OT. And those blasters you posted were props designed 40+ years ago. My point was prop making has come a long way in the last 40 years and I, as a fan, expect a little more creativity. Especially when this isn’t a low budget movie. I get they use parts of real weapons (Poe’s blaster has a Sig Sauer lower) but it doesnt look anything like a “real” firearm. What worked 40 years ago may not fly today, I think that’s why most of the humor in The Last Jedi failed for me. Taking an as-is weapon and slapping a few greeblies on it just doesnt excite me much given how much the sci-fi genre has evolved. It seems they were trying to copy what worked a long time ago. Just my opinion, I personally want to be inspired by props and this one just doesn’t do it for me.

The "Prune Face" Rebel aliens that were part of the Rebel force that landed on Endor in ROTJ carried a rifle that this rifle could very well have been based on.
There were several rifles with wood stocks and greeblies on the right side back in ANH.

I didn’t say all weapons from the OT. And those blasters you posted were props designed 40+ years ago. My point was prop making has come a long way in the last 40 years and I, as a fan, expect a little more creativity. Especially when this isn’t a low budget movie. I get they use parts of real weapons (Poe’s blaster has a Sig Sauer lower) but it doesnt look anything like a “real” firearm. What worked 40 years ago may not fly today, I think that’s why most of the humor in The Last Jedi failed for me. Taking an as-is weapon and slapping a few greeblies on it just doesnt excite me much given how much the sci-fi genre has evolved. It seems they were trying to copy what worked a long time ago. Just my opinion, I personally want to be inspired by props and this one just doesn’t do it for me.

It all depends on personal taste.

Make it too much OT > people are complaining about it being just a copy of what we already know
Make it too different > people are complaining about it having nothing to do anything with the Star Wars we know and love.
This applies not only for the movies/ plot, but the costumes, sets and props...

I did not like ANY of the blasters (or weapons in General) of TFA, but the designs of R1 grew on me and I really like many of them.
With regards to this specific design...Let´s see how it looks on screen and how well it serves the character.

Curious to see the actual screenused weapon, the TK not so much...what the hell does he have a cape for?

I imagine the cape is for rain.

I like the old school style of this blaster. SW weapons should be like this, not Calicos or Glocks or any of that nonsense. Wood, steel, vintage.

I imagine the cape is for rain.

I like the old school style of this blaster. SW weapons should be like this, not Calicos or Glocks or any of that nonsense. Wood, steel, vintage.

So the armor is not only useless against ANY form of energy-beam/ blaster (or even wooden clubs :lol), it also does not provide any form of protection against the elements ;)

"Stick a plunger on the end of it and you can use an Enfield for a Dalek weapon."
TazMan2000 - Don't you mean a Thompson?:D
doctor_who_series_3_volume_2_conceptart_PfukX.jpg

And what's going on with the TK helmet? Those things sticking out of the top remind me of the Stahlhelm M1916 (which means the weapon is probably a Mauser!).

Last edited:

Because capes are fabulous!!! Ask Messrs Vader,Krennic and Calrissian. If you want to cut a dash on the battlefield and distract attention from the explosive diarrhoea you've suffered from serving on a disease ridden swamp planet they are the go to accessory. Apart from a gaudy yellow and black tie.

Even that weapon is cool looking. I can understand some weapons of that are not key to the plot and are either holstered or seen on the screen for a second or two need not be outlandishly decorated to make it look futuristic, but the Enfiled conversion is a lame effort. They should have went with this.
image.jpeg
If they did, it could possibly explain the excessive filth over this trooper's armor. Sewer Trooper.

TazMan2000

"Stick a plunger on the end of it and you can use an Enfield for a Dalek weapon."
TazMan2000 - Don't you mean a Thompson?:D
https://i.neoseeker.com/ca/doctor_who_series_3_volume_2_conceptart_PfukX.jpg

And what's going on with the TK helmet? Those things sticking out of the top remind me of the Stahlhelm M1916 (which means the weapon is probably a Mauser!).

I rather like it as well -- and I'm kind of surprised by that, lol -- very much in keeping with the OT design ethos. It reminds me of the rifle designs for Tatooine in ANH.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back