HAL 9000 from 2001: a space odyssey

I am going to have a go at seeing if it is possible to use optical (plastic) lenses that are used in eyeglasses. My sister-in-law is an optician so I have essentially unlimited access to her lens stock and can do a series of trial-and-error tests to see if some sort of combination might provide a similar effect. The lens elements won't physically look like what is in that fisheye lens, but perhaps a different combination can get the proper orange and red look.

-Jeff

I'm mostly concerned that the material be crystal clear (no cast resin for example), and that there be a stack of layers and air gaps if possible (like in the cutaway fisheye lens) to at least suggest the interreflections and distortions of the lens.

It can't be perfect but at least it can be a lot better than any previous replica.

ftfhalbrainroomdetail.jpg

K

I'm thinking that there will definitely be multiple lenses used. These will be plastic, but since we're talking lens stock for eyeglasses...they are of optical quality.

You make a very good point about wanting to have the result have internal reflections and such. That will be an interesting part of the test.

One thing I am puzzling over is how to replicate that orange/red color. Was the original simply and solely the result of a single red light source interacting with that lens?

-Jeff

Incredible work guys. would love to replace the lens on my "grapplebats" HAL9000 with a better looking one.

Ditto. Mine got damaged in a move and I've been needing to do some work on it anyway. This would be a good opportunity.

I don't have the real story on what's going on there. Maybe the lens coatings naturally produce a color effect, or maybe the lens was taken apart and modified. Unfortunately I dont have the correct Nikkor lens handy to shine a light through to see what happens. :lol

For our purposes, perhaps we could have something like nested translucent red and yellow plastic pieces, which we could backlight with a superbright white LED to get the correct effect. Or paint the inside of a hollow "lens" black and red, so that a yellow LED will illuminate it properly.

k

I don't have the real story on what's going on there. Maybe the lens coatings naturally produce a color effect, or maybe the lens was taken apart and modified. Unfortunately I dont have the correct Nikkor lens handy to shine a light through to see what happens. :lol

For our purposes, perhaps we could have something like nested translucent red and yellow plastic pieces, which we could backlight with a superbright white LED to get the correct effect. Or paint the inside of a hollow "lens" black and red, so that a yellow LED will illuminate it properly.

k
All of the lenses where Nikkor? I thought that someone came up with a screen cap that contained a lens with the Kenko Fish-Eye 0.16x Lens No. 48423 text.

Man, my memory is not what it used to be. :)

As I recall my research showed that the Kenko is too small, and that all the HAL panels are the same size (although some elements such as the surrounding viewscreens, change size in various sets)

halscompared.jpg

kthalsizecomparisons.jpg

Tripoli on the board here wrote an analysis in 2004 to the effect that he thought the HAL panels varied in size and that different lenses were used, perhaps you're remembering that.

K

Hmmm......having different lens elements different colors is easy to do with plastic lenses. Dyeing them to any given color is not only easy, but they can be done with a varying level of tint....say from none in the center to a deep color on the edges.

Perhaps more food for thought?

-Jeff

Regarding the 'real' Nikkor lens - From what I've seen of one, there is no way to dismantle the thing without wrecking it. Likely, they got one (which was new at the time) and stuck it in the hole on the set. The things are also massive when compared to a regular 35mm lens - so they probably had to have a sturdy mount inside the panel. And if you stick a light behind there - you do get the intended result. Some of the color banding you are see is the result of how it reads on film (I've been warned that it won't look quite the same in person and in room lighting.......).

The real Nikkor 8mm lens was made back in the 60's. There are other Nikkor/Nikon models that are close. The good ones only differ with parts that you cannot see on Hal. There are also fisheye lenses that aren't 8mm. It might change the appearance somewhat - but it would be a real lens and you would notice that improvement immediately.

Karl - let me ask you this - based on your research, what do you estimate the diameter of the Hal lens to be (the inside diameter of that silver ring)? The one time I had one of these things in my hands, not only was I afraid of scratching the darn thing, I didn't have a set of calipers with me. My inclination is to figure out the size of the lens needed and then look for a common substitute (like a fisheye adaptor) that can approximate the size/look. It's either that or sell a kidney to get a real one (go look them up on e-bay).

Gene

Okay Jeff & Karl,
pm me all the specs for the decal part and I'll see what I can do.
If we are gonna do this accurate, I'll need you to fill me in on fonts, decal
material.. Etc

Arnold

Last edited:
I'll have to see if I can dig up some research on the HAL label. I think it's a flavor of Univers. It's definitely some sort of gothic sans serif.

Edit: actually I don't know the proper diameter to fit the actual lens. My drawing posted above assumes a replica lens.

Last edited:
I've got some logo images, including an AutoCAD drawing of it that I created, on my home computer. I'll get it to you when I get home later today. (the images I'll post back here)

The decal material will be an interesting discussion. The principle question being thickness and whether or not the individual logo decals can be done without any clear film surrounding it. Though I guess since this is a simple rectangle, we could always cut it away.

Also, would you need a final version graphic for printing or will someone be re-creating the logo itself?

-tnx,

Jeff

I had drawn the logo back in the day, I expect to be able to re-construct it in vector art once I identify the typeface. I remember that I had to modify it slightly.

As far as "decal" is concerned, I kind of imagined that this would best be done as a metal foil adhesive label. Brushed aluminum or something for a matte finish. I guess it depends on whether the outline type and the border line are "exposed metal" or if they are actually white.

If we want something actually printed in blue-white-black, I guess a vinyl sticker might be the way to go. But a model-kit-style waterslide decal never really entered into the thinking as I recall.

k

I was principally thinking of a waterslide decal only because the original looks like it was applied by an ink stamping method. The images of the one in the U.K....with the damage done to the logo also seems to support this.

...thoughts?

-Jeff

Anyone here have access to an ALPS printer? They can print all colors...including white. :)

Given a clean logo image, that would make it quick and fairly inexpensive to do.

-Jeff

Here is the image that I used to create a de-skewed logo....

..and here is my attempt at fixing the skew.....

I also did a bit of color 'correction'....hopefully that's good.

Question: is the border of the logo white or silver? I'm fairly certain that the outline for the letters and numbers are white.

-Jeff

With 2001 props you have to beware of replicas and of things that were actually built for "2010 The Year We Make Contact". I am not sure of the provenance of this piece but I think it's supposed to be a screenused HAL panel and brainroom key.

halpanelandkey.jpg

Okay guys I just read your replys...
First I'll be doing all the vector art here on my end... or if you already have it thats half the battle, as for a brushed metal look I have just the material in mind. I'll take pics of the material and post it later this week.

I can the company I work for lets us print personal decals once a year, depending on how busy the schedule is.

IF!
I can get it done. I can use the brushed metal material, have it screen-printed & cut to size.

I'll do a bit of research as well, pantone colors, stroke weight...etc

I do want one of these..:thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back