Captain America heater shield in titanium

IMG_3302.JPGIMG_3303.JPG
And finally done! I put more leather pads under the straps for replaceable wear pads so the leather underneath it won't get worn through for a long time. It's extreamly comfortable to wear and even at 14.8 pounds it's not hard to move around with it strapped tight to your arm.

Her name is Betsy but you can call her Ms. Ross.

For those who are curious, and since I like to see the cost of projects,I've lost track of the total cost to get this done but it's something like this...

Titanium plate: $888 shipped.
Bending the curvature and the ends of the brackets: $300
Tig welding the brackets: $200
Countless packages of sandpaper, bandsaw blades, grinder wheels and other consumables: $300
Leather: $80
Cerakote application: $200
Time to complete: About 7 months working on it whenever I had time.

That is a beautiful piece of work!
At $200 for the Cerakote application, doubt there will be any ballistic tests of the finished product.
Wonder if there is some way I could get one of these and call it a business expense?

That is a beautiful piece of work!
At $200 for the Cerakote application, doubt there will be any ballistic tests of the finished product.
Wonder if there is some way I could get one of these and call it a business expense?

Thank you. I really wanted to shoot it with some lead bullets to get impact marks but I figured the buyer might like it looking new. Same with the leather on the back. I'd planned to stain it to match the straps and the WWII leather jacket uniform but I decided to leave it natural so the buyer could do what they like with it.

So this was a commissioned piece or just planning to sell after having the satisfaction of a successful build?

More the latter I guess. I started it planning to sell it but the cost got out of control so I'm going to let a friend show it off at Cons for a few months and then price it high enough that I might just get to keep it. It went so well that it'll be hard to say good bye to without enough money to build a few more.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back