Pepsi is making Pepsi Perfect? BTTF

I think I'm gonna spend the $58 shipped for a Mexican bottle on eBay... Beats paying $80 like other ones I've seen!!! It'll look great next to my Amazon bottle. Someone here, convince me to click Buy Now!!! :)

That's a good price. I lucked out with someone from the bttf.com Facebook group who sent me 2 for $50 total. I returned the favor by sending her 2 USA Today papers.

Have you also tried the "Make an Offer" feature?

I just had that same observation. I just thought everyone would get a kick out of it and keep things around here a bit interesting. I'm sorry the video upload isn't better. I'm doing something wrong on the video conversion/upload side of things.

For anyone e-mailing or PM'ing about a run of bottles. Please don't at this time. I'm still working on these and front/pay it all on my own at the moment. When there is more information publicly available from my end, I'll be sure to post. Also, any sales information will be in the junkyard where it properly belongs. Thanks.

-Gary

Some seriously cool work there.

I think Gary's post sets a record for being the most liked and most quoted post in this thread.

I know you're still hard at work developing those, but any plans on making it usable ? I really don't know much about plastic quality and grades so I assume this is going to be for display only ?

So like I mentioned the other day - the Mex and Argentina bottles are different. The cap is not only thicker but it appears to be an entirely different mold. The top of the bottle (where it screws on) is not as wide on the Argentina bottle. The straw is thicker as well. And lastly, at 23 cm it's about the same size as the US release and 2 cm shorter than the Mex version.

PP Comparison.png

I like how Pepsi announced that if you manage to pre order a bottle tomorrow, they won't be sent out until after xmas. They can't get this promotion right.... it's almost laughable at this point.

Man I really want one of those Argentina bottles!

Would also love the US Pepsi Perfect, not as a replica but as the official release. If anyone manages to grab an extra think of me up here in Canada!!!

I like how Pepsi announced that if you manage to pre order a bottle tomorrow, they won't be sent out until after xmas. They can't get this promotion right.... it's almost laughable at this point.

I think a LOT of people underestimated the popularity of Back to the Future in general. While not an obscure franchise by any stretch, I'd argue that it doesn't typically garner the same sort of mainstream attention that Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings films do. That may seem like an odd conceit to us, but perhaps not to those outside of fan culture.

Companies like Pepsi and Nike (who only made 500 pairs of replica Bruins) didn't foresee just how popular these replicas would be, so they made a limited number to be safe. In underestimating the popularity of the franchise, they also underestimated the demand for their product. That said, it doesn't help that Pepsi and/or Amazon botched the release either. Now Pepsi is scrambling to put these back into production in order to save face, but manufacturing 13,000 at the outset probably would have seemed like a risky venture on paper to them at the time. This isn't a company that makes movie props. This is a company that sells soda. They were a bit out of their league here.

I do think the preorder route is a safer bet than the original sale was. Madrid skateboards did this for the 30th anniversary Valterra decks, taking orders for two months and then making enough boards to fulfill them. Mattel also did that with the replica Hoverboards, making enough to fill a preorder quota and a few extras as well. These companies had orders in hand, and knew exactly how many to produce without producing surpluses or shortfalls.

It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. If the second batch sells out as quickly as the first, will there be a third release? A limited release? Would these just become mainstream? If Pepsi's making a substantial amount of money on these, and the trouble of producing them isn't bothersome to them, I would think they'd keep making more That said, they could also just decide to wash their hands of the whole mess and say "That's enough. We're going back to making regular soda now."

Hindsight and conjecture, ladies and gentlemen. :)

I do think the preorder route is a safer bet than the original sale was. Madrid skateboards did this for the 30th anniversary Valterra decks, taking orders for two months and then making enough boards to fulfill them. Mattel also did that with the replica Hoverboards, making enough to fill a preorder quota and a few extras as well. These companies had orders in hand, and knew exactly how many to produce without producing surpluses or shortfalls.

So why can't Nike do it like that ?
Don't they want our cash ?

So why can't Nike do it like that ?
Don't they want our cash ?

That's a good question. Nike does bring back old styles of shoes in limited quantities. I'm not into sneaker culture, but I do know there's a collector's market for classic sneakers out there, regardless of whether they were featured in a popular film. It would seem to me that if the demand is there, they'd keep making and selling the product the customers are hungry for.

That said, manufacturing sneakers seems a bit more involved than manufacturing a bottle of soda. The price point alone hints at that. Also, casual Back to the Future fans are more likely to pony up $20 for a souvenir bottle of soda than they are a $110 pair of shoes. Like Pepsi, Nike probably underestimated the popularity of the franchise and wound up under-producing the product as a safety net. They probably weren't aware of the rabid subculture of BTTF fans that would pay $110 (or more on eBay) for a pair. The Nike release was also far less publicized. Pepsi had a commercial, a booth at NYCC and a social media campaign to get the word out. The Nike Bruin release I only heard about on these forums. Less publicity means less awareness. Less awareness means less demand. Less demand means less shoes made.

The self-lacing Mags probably has something to do with it too. Being 2015, everyone was looking to Nike make that a reality. As a result, they poured more manufacturing and publicity dollars at those instead. Compared to those, the Bruin re release probably seemed like a footnote.

I have yet to really check out the Pepsi site. can u make a account there to speed up ordering time or do u have to fill it all your info all at once when ordering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Nike Bruin release I only heard about on these forums.

Me too !!!

The self-lacing Mags probably has something to do with it too. Being 2015, everyone was looking to Nike make that a reality. As a result, they poured more manufacturing and publicity dollars at those instead. Compared to those, the Bruin re release probably seemed like a footnote.

Yeah, the self-lacing mags are another fiasco waiting to happen !!!
Another win for the bots !!!

Maybe Nike themselves are making big bucks on Ebay now,
who knows !!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back