Imperator Furiosa: Mad Max Fury Road

Yeah, the parts that go with the skull belt. I've only ever seen photos of the front of it, and I've never done leather work before, so I don't know where to start on making the circular leather piece the emblem attaches to, or how to attach the belt straps to that piece. I'm sure it's super basic to people who do leather work, but I'm totally stumped!

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in here on this thread as I've talked to Dayna about the Furiosa arm (After literally re-watching it for the 10th time xD) she had made for her, she funnily enough has worn both the hero arm and her stunt arm, the hero is actually pretty heavy and she hated wearing it like Charlize did lol, but yeah, here are some extra shots of it if you're having a hard time working on it
vlcsnap-2015-09-16-22h38m06s108.pngvlcsnap-2015-09-19-12h21m20s207.png
vlcsnap-2015-09-16-22h37m37s40.pngvlcsnap-2015-09-19-12h20m42s94.png
vlcsnap-2015-09-16-22h37m47s178.pngvlcsnap-2015-09-16-22h37m42s125.png

Great references.

I received an email from Matt Boug, the artist who designed and built the arm prop. I wanted to share a few snippets that I think will be useful. Keep in mind that I was building a prosthetic and not a "glove" like most of you guys are:

There was only one scene in the film where the arm was ever fitted up as a whole piece with the central mechanism built in for real and not digital.. which was the scene when it was hanging on the truck. Which was one of the first scenes we ever shot.
I can send you a photo of the whole rig as it was on the truck with the central forearm shaft which is what I imagine you will want to make. Charlize could only physically wear most of it and have the finishing touches of no actual arm - digitally added

[. . .]

As seen in the gif from my website the central mechanism is different in the rest of the movie where it has been altered digitally instead of the real version .. so which version you make is up to you.. George Miller the director was never a huge believer in continuity... :)

Emphasis mine. The prosthetic he's referring to uses what appears to be a ratchet extension for the central shaft, and doesn't have the spring in the middle. It also seems to be a lot longer in the forearm section than the rest of the film. It's the scene right after the dust storm and Max finds the Wives and Furiosa at the War Right, right before their fight scene.

Has anyone made a drawn breakdown of the arm yet? It has so many details, even with build threads it's still difficult for my brain to wrap around everything that goes into it.

Yeah, the parts that go with the skull belt. I've only ever seen photos of the front of it, and I've never done leather work before, so I don't know where to start on making the circular leather piece the emblem attaches to, or how to attach the belt straps to that piece. I'm sure it's super basic to people who do leather work, but I'm totally stumped!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442734205.860673.jpg

I'm working on a male Imperator "sporran." I'm having the whole kidney belt made but I thought I'd make an attempt at this. The skull emblem I got is way too big so I'll have to accurize the whole thing after Wasteland Weekend. The leather is a shoulder I got from Tandy. I used Tandy's "acorn" Eco-Flo leather dye. The male Imperator leather piece has a lot of rivets on the outer edge and I believe that's how they attached the belts. Maybe they hid the rivets behind the edge of the emblem. (You could also use Chicago screws if you don't want to rivet.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442734179.058129.jpg

These are laser-cut emblems just for comparison. Hope some of that helps.

Last edited:
View attachment 530862

I'm working on a male Imperator "sporran." I'm having the whole kidney belt made but I thought I'd make an attempt at this. The skull emblem I got is way too big so I'll have to accurize the whole thing after Wasteland Weekend. The leather is a shoulder I got from Tandy. I used Tandy's "acorn" Eco-Flo leather dye. The male Imperator leather piece has a lot of rivets on the outer edge and I believe that's how they attached the belts. Maybe they hid the rivets behind the edge of the emblem. (You could also use Chicago screws if you don't want to rivet.)

View attachment 530860

These are laser-cut emblems just for comparison. Hope some of that helps.

Thank you! I never knew what Chicago screws were actually called, that does help.

- - - Updated - - -

For buying these real brass buckles please contact me alsoon FB my user name is jeroen geertman.

View attachment 530905

View attachment 530906

How much do you charge?

How are you guys doing her shirt? I'm a stickler about details and I'd like to go with that layered tattered look but I'm not sure how to achieve it. I've seen a few people pull it off (including Laura in that awesome cosplay!) and curious to know what others are doing.

I bought some off-white heavier weight jersey knit and just started draping and cuttting and sewing. I did a bit on machine, with seams visible on the good side, then came back and did handsewing to bind the seams and help hold the folds.

Well, that's it. I'm throwing in the towel on the boots. I just spent the better part of six hours looking at thousands of eBay listings and Zappos and Revzilla and Google and I don't think I'm any closer than when I started. A motorcycle enthusiast friend thinks they're fashion boots. The closest I've seen in terms of the Velcro closures are AGV/Prexport boots from the early '90s. The best part? I'm not even doing Furiosa. I'm just in it for the hunt!

If I had to have a pair right now, I'd go with these Motoboss boots. There's a pair on auction right now.

View attachment 495798

Here are my best reference pics. I swear I've seen that sole before but I can't find it online. The shot of the inside of her left boot confuses me because it also looks like a Velcro closure. I'm really starting to lean toward custom or heavily modified boots. (Or would, if I still cared.) :)

Good luck.

View attachment 496003View attachment 496000View attachment 495997View attachment 496004View attachment 496001View attachment 495998View attachment 496002View attachment 495999

The covering on her one boot (I believe it is the left one) looks like a brown leather half chap like what's used in English horseback riding.
WB10011u-a.jpeg
That's what it struck me as, anyway.

Also, jumping in with my progress on my own Furiosa costume. (I've actually had a great deal of help from the comments on this very thread, so thank you!) All of my progress has been documented on my Instagram but I'll include a few pictures here!

I've been on top of a cloth glove I threw together as a base, and then building the metal/armored parts out of foam and Worbla layered on top of it.
11910239_191735934490886_1477814909_n.jpg
11925601_1613301165561555_1041063126_n.jpg
928357_1497955323837045_1926304844_n.jpg
I might add or remove certain pieces (Not sure about the piece of Worbla on the Ring/Pinky spot, numbered with 12), but this is my first real foray into something of this level. I think it is looking good so far!

This is the best reference photo I've found for that ring/pinky finger Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Imperator-Furiosa.jpg You can see that it looks more like a leather glove piece that is reinforced with metal.

Yeah I actually ended up doing what you had mentioned earlier in the thread, and cut off the thumb from a pair of leather work gloves and dyed it to match the gauntlet. :)

It turned out looking pretty cool! Definitely a good suggestion! It's the part I am not sure I am going to keep the Worbla covering on or not, the leather sort of differentiates from the other fingers so the texture is refreshing.
11950540_1504655229849083_1257532213_n.jpg

Man, this thread is so dead. Is no one working on this cosplay still? Wondering what people are using for the tubing. Everything I can find comes in gigantic amounts, and I don't want to really buy 20 feet of tube for a few inches.

Man, this thread is so dead. Is no one working on this cosplay still? Wondering what people are using for the tubing. Everything I can find comes in gigantic amounts, and I don't want to really buy 20 feet of tube for a few inches.

My reply from three days ago means the thread is dead? Hahaha.

But anyway, I actually found a tutorial for dying clear PVC tubing that I am going to use once my dye gets in from Amazon. It involves dipping the tubing in a boiling pot of water with the dye added in. It's located here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ter-cooling-tubing-*Experiment*IKIKUINTHENUTZ

I bought RIT dye in yellow (Which I specify because there is a Yellow, and a Golden Yellow). I'll post the results after I attempt to dye the tubing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I bought I think it is 3 yards of pvc tubing from Home Depot for just a few bucks.

Since Im not allowed to make a new tread and I didn't find .... Ill try here....
Im looking for a cosplay weapon for my Furiosa...
I could buy it or trade leather craft for it..

Any names or shops ?

Im not sure what weapon would be the best.. It needs to be ''Con safe'' ....

My cosplay is finished, I only need the weapon... Unfortunately, I have no talent to craft one.... :p

My cosplay outfit : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1008929719150476.1073741852.918442184865897&type=3

Since Im not allowed to make a new tread and I didn't find .... Ill try here....
Im looking for a cosplay weapon for my Furiosa...
I could buy it or trade leather craft for it..

Any names or shops ?

Im not sure what weapon would be the best.. It needs to be ''Con safe'' ....

My cosplay is finished, I only need the weapon... Unfortunately, I have no talent to craft one.... :p

My cosplay outfit : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1008929719150476.1073741852.918442184865897&type=3

Furiosa's bone knife would be a perfect weapon prop. I know somebody on the site was making one, I think they were mentioned earlier in the thread.
(Also holy crap! Your cosplay looks fantastic!)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back