Original Kit bash ship `Tempest'

Um, yeah... no real explanation really, not for the catfish anyway. Americans - more often rural types - can be very creative with their interjections.

One famous example is "Yosemite Sam" from the Warner Brothers cartoons, who expressed surprise or irritation with "Great Horny Toads!" (referring to Horned lizard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Another example would be Hermes Conrad, the Jamaican accountant from the show "Futurama," who would utter a number of different interjections, usually rhyming: "Sweet gorilla of Manila!", "Sweet yeti of the Serengeti!", or "Sweet three-toed sloth of ice planet Hoth!"

Hey ! Thanks for the detailed explanation:thumbsup I've learned a lot. :lol

Wow, I just found this thread and I am speechless. A+ work ! I agree this needs to be in a film not hiding in a garage. Anyways Id like to try something like this but the whole kit bashing thing kind of eludes me. Do you have an suggestions on where to start with something like this? What does something like this even cost? I can imagine its pretty high considering how many kits you have to buy... or maybe not so much?

I've just started with combining some rather large parts of the model kit.
On the base of aircraft carrier hull, I put some aircraft parts and tank parts to making a basic shape of the model. It took only a few day.

090321_1023022.jpg

SA350379.jpg

SA350383.jpg

Pictures by yuumi2891103 - Photobucket

At the first place I used one 1/350 aircraft carrier kit, one 1/32 AH-64 helicopter, which I bought long before, two 1/700 aircraft carrier and I
additionally bought two 1/35 tank kit. one German 88mm cannon, some 1/700 battle ships and so on. That was a lucky that I could buy a bunch of kit parts tree which were rejected by the quality control and released from Hasegawa. I could buy those for a dollar or two.

PAP_0822.jpg

PAP_0816.jpg

I don't think you need to prepare all of them at the first place.
I bought those kit from time to time at the auction. Some times they sell those as a junk parts in internet auction.

I also don't think that you gonna need so many kits as I did.
As you see the place below, there are so many thing you can use for detailing.

SA350373-1.jpg

SA3503812.jpg

SA3503822.jpg

SA3503832.jpg

SA3503852.jpg

SA3503862.jpg

I don't know which is more impressive - the ship itself, the creativity in what went into it (ordinary staples?!?) or your extremely detailed documentation of its construction.

BTW Yuumi-san, did the Tempest suffer any damage from the earthquake a couple months back? Or did you take steps to "Earthquake proof" it?

Oh ! Hi !

Fortunately it didn't have damage from that disaster.
Since I started to build this model, I had to consider about the earthquake.
You know here in Japan, that is the issue all of us should prepared to.

While I was building this model, I put it on the D.I.Y shake free pedestal.
There were some middle class earth quake occurred during this build, but was OK.

As you see, when I finished the build, I made the display pedestal which is
on the turn table and lot of shock absorbing struts. This worked good.:love

SA350112.jpg

SA350115.jpg

I was wondering where you can get those tree parts that have been rejected. I have projects that use a lot of smaller parts and I would love to know where to find these auctions.

I was wondering where you can get those tree parts that have been rejected. I have projects that use a lot of smaller parts and I would love to know where to find these auctions.

Hi! Thanks for asking.
Those parts seem to be usually provided in the places like the Wonder-fest by the kit maker. I was happened to be able to obtain them at the opening sale of the new hobby shop. Also, I made a bid for other parts at auction cheaply. Some people often wants to sell their kit they gave up building as a 'junk kit'.

Regards

I see it now - and I am very impressed. I like your modelling style very much, katsu-san. Keep up your awesome work.:thumbsup

Hermann

Wow those pics bring back great memories on
Charles Adams old site. I remember when you were making the
vehicle and trying to figure out all those tires on it!!

I see it now - and I am very impressed. I like your modelling style very much, katsu-san. Keep up your awesome work.:thumbsup

Hermann

Thank you very much, Lynx-san.

Wow those pics bring back great memories on
Charles Adams old site. I remember when you were making the
vehicle and trying to figure out all those tires on it!!

That was a great site.
Your building of the Snow Speeder brought me into this world.

That was a year 2007, hey, time flies.

Your craftsmanship and positively warm disposition is inspiring ... and hopefully infectious. It's fortunate for all of us to have people like you involved with this hobby.

Missed this until now... very nice!

BTW, "jumping catfish" is a rare exclamation that alludes to the surprise a 'jumping catfish' would cause (catfish don't really 'jump' being they are bottom feeders... but they DO know how to fight when caught!)

Catfish is best deep fried whole (after cleaning & removing the head) in corn meal with a little flour,salt & black pepper, then eaten by taking bites off the spine by clamping one's teeth either side of the upper midline, then pulling up, removing the flesh cleanly from the upper spines (there are no lateral spines to speak of...just strong vertical spines to the vertebra) then flip and repeat for the ventral (aka 'bottom') portion. The meat is white and flaky, not oily or fishy. If offered catfish fillets instead of whole, you are missing some of the taste...

The result is a classic "cartoon" fish tail & a satisfied belly. ;^)

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Oh, why wasn't I notified about your posts.
I"m very sorry to get you back so late anyway( February!! wow no words to excuse).
I'm so surpliesed that my old build still have these kind words.

This model is in my bedroom and keep lighting up for more than 5 years.

Your craftsmanship and positively warm disposition is inspiring ... and hopefully infectious. It's fortunate for all of us to have people like you involved with this hobby.

Thank you very much CyberGolem-san!
I'AM fortunete to be in the good guys like you!

You have a very good eye for creating detail, nice job!

Thank you very much Constantine-san!

The amazing level of details makes this ship look so much larger than it really is. I am still amazed at this build.

Thank you very much Randy-san!!

Missed this until now... very nice!

BTW, "jumping catfish" is a rare exclamation that alludes to the surprise a 'jumping catfish' would cause (catfish don't really 'jump' being they are bottom feeders... but they DO know how to fight when caught!)

Catfish is best deep fried whole (after cleaning & removing the head) in corn meal with a little flour,salt & black pepper, then eaten by taking bites off the spine by clamping one's teeth either side of the upper midline, then pulling up, removing the flesh cleanly from the upper spines (there are no lateral spines to speak of...just strong vertical spines to the vertebra) then flip and repeat for the ventral (aka 'bottom') portion. The meat is white and flaky, not oily or fishy. If offered catfish fillets instead of whole, you are missing some of the taste...

The result is a classic "cartoon" fish tail & a satisfied belly. ;^)

Regards, Robert

Robert-san
Thansk for the info about your fancy wording! I'm in a moment before supper and your recipi.... my mouth flooding.
In spite of its look, that fish is so yummy. And your recipe is nice. Sometime I think we Japanese are too much use soy sause.

All the best,
katsu

Last edited:
Katsu-san, glad you are a fan of the whisker-fish! RE: Soy sauce, it is a necessary thing for life (and for sushi, sashimi, etc.)!
;^)

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back