Radica Binoc Build up: Semi-custom

Re: Radica Tank Assault: Mold it?

Well, who does Doopy-Doos?
Is it someone here?
Maybe with permission you can add their stuff and cast t like that?
Is that what you meant anyway?

Is SIMRAD the real thing?

Well I decided to start this a bit. Nothing major but it's whatever. Using sculpty clay to make the form around the flange so it looks somewhat flush. Still needs some work. I used the clay to smooth and even the inside of it where it's supposed to screw onto the adapter piece. Will do more shortly

Photo04072014.jpg

Last edited:

Link fixed. What I'm going to do is after I complete the flange, I'm going to mold it seperatly so that I can properly file and sand off the lettering on the front rim as well as have a solid piece to continue cleanup.

Some more work tonight. Got some random parts and I'm playing around to see what looks the best. So far I'm liking this, but I may change it

001-134.jpg

Got alot more work done today with this. Dosn't look like a whole lot, but I'm really close to molding this thing and getting a cast or two made. My buddy helped out a bit with this. Most time consuming thing is getting the super sculpty to comply with you and get it to look decent.

I took off the flang and took a belt sander to the lettering then smooth it with high grit sand paper

100_2499.jpg

Since Im more-so basing off of the one in the painting above, I rotated the flange to match the angle (placement of the line details).

100_2501.jpg

Still a work in progress to get the edges looking good, but it's getting there (did more work after these pics were taken)

Other than that, filled all of the screw holes. There is writing on the bottom which we covered with clay (was inset in the plastic) but I need to go over it and try and make it more level.

100_2500.jpg

On top of that, the one detail piece I made, I am not so sure if I'm going to use it or not, so I just molded it and made it more of an add-on. Came out well!

100_2502.jpg

All thats left is aquiring the appropriate model V8 engine parts. The local hobby store is selling the model kit, but I'm not ready to drop $60 just for two parts.

I'm still deciding if I want to make a seperate detail "panel" to go on the inside of the viewer, by making it closely match the screen used binocs, but we'll see...

-TC

Necro alert! I would love to see how these turned out. I just bought a Sub Assault on a lark because I need one more project to add to the pile.

Necro alert! I would love to see how these turned out. I just bought a Sub Assault on a lark because I need one more project to add to the pile.

Long-story short, me and a friend made the mold. We were able to do 2 good pulls, but I didn't catch a nasty undercut which tore a nasty hole in the polyurethane. I've got one completed sans the weathering in all-white but I don't think I'll be revisiting this anytime soon unfortunately

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back