"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .". Which text color is accurate?

The Wook

Master Member
Hello gang, I'm specifically reaching out to those of you who saw Star Wars in the theater during that magical summer of '77. If you did, and you were at least, say, 7 years old, please take a moment to look at these four versions of, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .", and tell me which "blue" you remember the words being on the big screen.

One jumps out to me as most accurate, when I reflect back to that summer, in which I saw the film 30 times as an 11 year old. It's the one in the upper-right quadrant, the one that says, "TN1's Silver Screen Edition v1.6".

So, I'm requesting two things:

1) If you were at least 7 that summer and have a good recollection of the color of these famous words as they appeared on your cinema's screen, please tell me if you agree with my choice, or if you think another of the remaining three versions is more accurate.

2) I need a full-size screencap of the TN1 Silver Screen Edition v1.6 version of, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .", but I cannot find one online. The one in the upper right corner of this image is too small for my purposes. Do you have a full-size screencap you could share with me?

Thanks!

The Wook

ALongTimeAgoComparison.jpg

Re: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .". Which text color is accurate

I was only 3, but saw it multiple times and have an uncommonly good memory. Take it for what it's worth. Lower left sparks something in me.

Re: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .". Which text color is accurate

Definitely one of the turquoise ones.

I'm assuming you mean upper-right or lower-left. You were 10 that summer. I don't know how many times you saw it, perhaps only once during its initial run. But does your memory not favor one of these two "turquoise" versions?

The Wook

I was 10 and saw it about 20 times and would go for upper right but I`m not 100%. I still have the original VHS tape from initial release but need to find a VCR to check. Its either upper right or lower left.

I was 10 and saw it about 20 times and would go for upper right but I`m not 100%. I still have the original VHS tape from initial release but need to find a VCR to check. Its either upper right or lower left.

Except that the first VHS release was after EP 4 was added, meaning that the opening might not be truly original. From my memory it would be top right or bottom left as well
If the upper right is the silver screen 35mm version then that pretty much settles it.

Wonder why they've even changed it so many times over the years.
But sadly, I was born in 1981, so I have no memory of the original in theaters.

...I need a full-size screencap of the TN1 Silver Screen Edition v1.6 version of, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . ."...

Here you go. Both colors seem to be correct, from a certain point of view. The purple-ish color appears as the text starts to fade in, then turns turquoise.
Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_00.01.03_[2018.02.01_20.46.12].jpgStar Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_00.01.04_[2018.02.01_20.46.31].jpg

And just because I love it so, the title crawl sans episode subtitle.
Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_00.01.19_[2018.02.01_20.47.13].jpg

Here you go. Both colors seem to be correct, from a certain point of view. The purple-ish color appears as the text starts to fade in, then turns turquoise.
View attachment 792030View attachment 792031

And just because I love it so, the title crawl sans episode subtitle.
View attachment 792032

Thanks, robn1, for the cap! I definitely think that one hits the mark.

As for the crawl text color, I actually remember it being more like Harmy's than the Silver Screen one, as seen in this video comp:

The Silver Screen one seems a bit too orangy. I remember the crawl being more gold-ish, like it is in Harmy's. Any thoughts?

The Wook

Last edited by a moderator:

...The Silver Screen one seems a bit too orangy. I remember the crawl being more gold-ish, like it is in Harmy's. Any thoughts?

The Wook

They don't seem too different to me, except Harmy's is a bit more saturated. I think the SS looks more gold, Harmy's is more like brass.

Silver Screen
Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope 35mm (1977).mkv_snapshot_00.01.19_[2018.02.01_20.47.13].jpg

Harmy
Star.Wars.Despecialized.Edition.v2.7.CZ.ENG.mkv_snapshot_00.00.38_[2018.02.01_21.44.16].jpg

My rip from the DVD "bonus" version, which looks more green
Star Wars - DVD Original.mkv_snapshot_00.00.38_[2018.02.01_21.42.48].jpg

They don't seem too different to me, except Harmy's is a bit more saturated. I think the SS looks more gold, Harmy's is more like brass.

Silver Screen
View attachment 792042

Harmy
View attachment 792043

My rip from the DVD "bonus" version, which looks more green
View attachment 792044

Yeah, definitely think the Bonus version is off. Harmy's still looks the truest to my eyes--call it gold, or brass.

But another factor to consider when having this discussion is the monitors on which we are each individually viewing these various versions.

Oh, and how many beers we've had.

The Wook

Yeah, definitely think the Bonus version is off. Harmy's still looks the truest to my eyes--call it gold, or brass.

But another factor to consider when having this discussion is the monitors on which we are each individually viewing these various versions.

Oh, and how many beers we've had.

The Wook

For me, the Silver Screen version is the closest to what I remembered. I saw the film at least 10 times before it was done its run in 79.

I'm assuming you mean upper-right or lower-left. You were 10 that summer. I don't know how many times you saw it, perhaps only once during its initial run. But does your memory not favor one of these two "turquoise" versions?

The Wook

I was 9, saw it 13 times. I think upper right.

Depends where you saw it, different prints looked different. But basically the ALTA logo is supposed to be bright teal with a dark blue "shadow".

Recreating the whole intro has been, errr is something I'm working on...
Matching the crawl with my custom made font, speed, tilt... the lens distortion is something I still need to figure out.

Taking all these things into account I recreated the Jedi Knight 2 intro sequence in style of SW 1977:
[video=vimeo;196999184]https://vimeo.com/196999184[/video]
The speed of course had to be different due to the JK2 text crawl being longer, still trying to match the music cues.

The original JK2 intro sequence:

As for specific yellow for the crawl, it changes through out the sequence.

Mike Verta on the originals:
https://vimeo.com/98412058
https://vimeo.com/channels/starwarslegacy/118334001

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool, I never heard this. What's your source for this description?

The Wook

Mike Verta and his work on a few different prints...

I added the dark blue effect to mine, done at 8K resolution.

I was 14 when it came out, saw the 70mm print in SF’s Coronet theater on the second weekend (third or fourth row) ... I think my subsequent viewings were the 35mm print.

I’m inclined to trust the 2006 DVD because ... LaserDisc? Wasn’t that one of the best copies of the print at the time?

The bang opening and crawl, I prefer the upper left, I recall the title was in no hurry to recede and disappear, and you had to wait for the crawl. The crawl that I remember was lighter, yellow-gold, not deep gold or orangey-gold.

I don’t remember any two-tone or shadow effect to ALTA at all. It was monochrome blue, more of a deep cyan than bleached out.

I've no idea on the colour, but I instantly noticed they used a different font on the Bluray release.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back