Stranger Things (Netflix)

Did Will Wheaton just cock a .45 auto? :facepalm
"Things you're tired of seeing in movies"...

Okay...question!

Can you pull a hammer back on a .45 auto? I know nothing of guns...

If you COULD, then maybe Will doesn't KNOW you can't (Auto - don't need to?)

I would have pulled back the hammer to intimidate if it actually went back...

So yeah, Will never touched a gun before this event, so maybe he just THOUGHT you had to...

Do I get a no prize?

Except nowhere did they show him getting physically abused or necessarily bullied. There was one scene where his father yelled at him, mostly because Billy was a complete screw up and deserved it. There was nowhere that they showed his dad as drunk, where he hit him or even threatened him with physical harm or even referred to having ever caused physical harm. Essentially, it was "Billy, you're a jerk, you screwed up and didn't do what you were supposed to do, so now you're getting a well-deserved punishment."

And Steve never really got redeemed either, except in the eyes of the kids. He was still, even in the very last scene he was in, telling Dustin not to care what anyone thinks of him. He learned no lessons. He didn't become a better person. He was still a jerk.

They pretty clearly illustrated his dad was an abusive *****. Didn't have to be drunk or anything, but definitely an abuser. Which was the reason he was a complete dick to Max.

Except nowhere did they show him getting physically abused or necessarily bullied. There was one scene where his father yelled at him, mostly because Billy was a complete screw up and deserved it. There was nowhere that they showed his dad as drunk, where he hit him or even threatened him with physical harm or even referred to having ever caused physical harm. Essentially, it was "Billy, you're a jerk, you screwed up and didn't do what you were supposed to do, so now you're getting a well-deserved punishment."

And Steve never really got redeemed either, except in the eyes of the kids. He was still, even in the very last scene he was in, telling Dustin not to care what anyone thinks of him. He learned no lessons. He didn't become a better person. He was still a jerk.

You seriously did not get a distinct "this is an abusive situation" vibe from the scene with Billy and his father??

Even the step-mom came off as frightened in that scene.

You must have watched a totally different show than I did.

I think getting thrown up against a bookshelf and yelled at/berated in front of your step mom was pretty bad. Obviously it wasnt the first time, the show doesnt need to show you every single time Billy got bullied to make him want to be a bully himself.

Im baffled that you didnt see Steves arc. He wasnt a jerk at all to the kids at the end, especially Dustin.

- - - Updated - - -

You must have watched a totally different show than I did.
I was thinking the same exact thing!

I think there is more in store for Billy. He is already such a dark character. Imagine if the shadow monster gets its claws on him! Oh my!

I am fascinated at the maturity of Steve more than anything. He went from a loathsome character to a very likable hero, of sorts. I can't wait to see who he becomes.

They pretty clearly illustrated his dad was an abusive *****. Didn't have to be drunk or anything, but definitely an abuser. Which was the reason he was a complete dick to Max.

which honestly I think came a little too late.. I mean what, pretty much the last episode? the rest of the time you have no clue what he's salty about or why he gets all mad when someone says "your sister". I mean you could kind of figure it out but I think that scene a little earlier in the series would have played better and put a lot more into context.

Did Will Wheaton just cock a .45 auto? :facepalm
"Things you're tired of seeing in movies"...

It's a single action pistol so technically it won't fire unless the hammer IS pulled back first. However, it was probably done in typical "for adedd drama" Hollywood purposes and not because Wil knew what he was doing with it.

Okay...question!

Can you pull a hammer back on a .45 auto? I know nothing of guns...

You can, but since Will had just fired the gun it would already be ******.
Here's how a .45 auto works:
*EDIT: This explains it better than I did:

So Will would have had to de-cock it before he could re-cock it.

It's a single action pistol so technically it won't fire unless the hammer IS pulled back first. However, it was probably done in typical "for adedd drama" Hollywood purposes and not because Wil knew what he was doing with it.

Yah, I didn't mean to blame Will, I'm sure it wasn't his decision. It was something dumb the director added for "dramatic effect". It's still stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah makes sense.

So if you fired once, and put the gun down, you'd have to put the hammer back yourself?

Seems crazy... like you have to shut it off after use?

Im baffled that you didnt see Steves arc. He wasnt a jerk at all to the kids at the end, especially Dustin.

I already said "except in the eyes of the kids". I meant specifically to Nancy. That's the lesson he didn't learn. If in the last scene, had he told Dustin "Maybe I was wrong, maybe you should care about them" and then gives that last look at Nancy before driving away, that would be a learning moment. But that's not what he did.

Last edited:
* Originally called the ".45 Automatic Pistol" - hence the ammo designation of .45 ACP = "Automatic Colt Pistol".
I believe that was the reference to the automatic loading function. As far as I'm aware, you'd die from firing 45ACP fully auto out of a handgun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think there is more in store for Billy. He is already such a dark character. Imagine if the shadow monster gets its claws on him! Oh my!

I am fascinated at the maturity of Steve more than anything. He went from a loathsome character to a very likable hero, of sorts. I can't wait to see who he becomes.

I too am excited to see who he becomes. I heard a really interesting theory today regarding his future. As we know, he was going to skip college and work for his dad so he could stick around for Nancy. But now that he's lost Nancy, and it's probably too late to apply for colleges, where does that leave him? Some think that Hopp may take him under his wing as his deputy since he's showed a lot of maturity and leadership. Plus he's in the group of 'shared trauma.' I think that'd be super cool

https://io9.gizmodo.com/artist-transforms-stranger-things-episodes-into-pulp-no-1820266116

gl4iht0s4ltn759n9pty.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back