Theoretical - Tim Burton / Michael Keaton Batman

brandomack

Sr Member
I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but who else would be interested in seeing a Tim Burton Batman film, where Bruce Wayne (Keaton) enters the stage in his life where he is ready to hang up the cape. If done well, i think this could course-correct the aimlessness at Warner Bros.

This could be a great opportunity to have a well written, character driven film much like Logan was to the X Men franchise.

There was an interview earlier this week on Syfy.com (posted from another site) with Michael Keaton where he said he, and maybe Burton, planned to do three movies. He said he didn't because the stories were crap.

There was an interview earlier this week on Syfy.com (posted from another site) with Michael Keaton where he said he, and maybe Burton, planned to do three movies. He said he didn't because the stories were crap.

well thats awesome he's open to it. The last thing the world needs is another crappy batman movie. Right now the biggest problem is the WB execs.

Burton should be a production designer on other people's movies.

This is a pretty good idea for a movie. But Keaton is already too far beyond the age for caped crusading IMO.

There's something to be said for this concept,and yet personally I think an actor should know when to stop or at least to pick to roles suited for one's age.Obivously to many (myself included) he is the one and only true (first) Batman,establishing his legacy in 1989 and I am thankfull to have been a witness to that.But now,given his age,I think he's more fit to play the Vulture in Spider-man sequels.
I think they did right to choose a different Batman,like James Bond eventually had to 'move on' after Connery.No shame in that,and Keaton will always have his legacy.Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

The version I recall from a while ago was he was going to do the third, then they booted Burton, but still wanted him, he got the script and thought it terrible and passed.

These days people look at "Returns" and say it's an interesting Burtonizing of the genre. That's easier to say when you didn't go into it expecting a real Batman sequel.

At the time it was a frustrating letdown and I've never forgiven Burton for it. If he didn't want to make a decent Batman movie then he didn't need to take the millions of dollars and do the job. There were plenty of other directors who would have gladly tried to deliver something that the public actually wanted to see.

Thats funny. Of the two Burton Bat films, Returns is the one I can still enjoy. Batman doesn't hold up as well to me at all.

It's about the public's expectations.

I appreciate the 1960s TV show. But I wouldn't have liked it much if Chris Nolan had gone that direction on his 2nd or 3rd movie. It's a more extreme divergence than Burton did but you get the idea. I agree that Burton made a memorable movie with #2 but he wasn't making what anyone was buying tickets to see. IMO that's not cool. And it more or less killed the franchise for the next decade.

I don't like everything about the Nolan era. But he gave it his all, respected the source material, and respected the fanbase. It's infuriating how rare that still is for Hollywood franchise movies.

I think @batguy is on to something. To hire Burton on as Production Designer, you would get the look but still have reign over story and casting.

i think Keaton is the perfect age to return to the cowl, because you have the opportunity to show the emotional struggle of him having to stop doing what he is/was meant to do.
it would be a great vehicle to showcase Nightwing, and open up the story to something in the direction (but not an exact take-off) of Batman Beyond.

Make it a dark, gothic detective film.

When nostalgia is captured correctly and nurtured, it can be a recipie for success.

I think @batguy is on to something. To hire Burton on as Production Designer, you would get the look but still have reign over story and casting.

i think Keaton is the perfect age to return to the cowl, because you have the opportunity to show the emotional struggle of him having to stop doing what he is/was meant to do.
it would be a great vehicle to showcase Nightwing, and open up the story to something in the direction (but not an exact take-off) of Batman Beyond.

Make it a dark, gothic detective film.

When nostalgia is captured correctly and nurtured, it can be a recipie for success.

Keaton as the perfect age and stage in his career to play a Batman Beyond version of Bruce, he's gotten pretty good at playing the angry old man and I could really see him playing an older and more cantankerous Bruce.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back