What am I doing wrong? (Ultracal 30 molding problem)

stopmo

On my last two ultracal 30 molds of chavant clay sculptures I've had issues with the surface detail coat. I get tiny air bubbles on the surface. The latex castings come out with very, very small pimples over large surface areas like you would see from mold erosion but these are the first pulls!

I try my best to do the detail coat right, I make the plaster very thin and brush it on with a chip brush to avoid air pockets but I'm wondering if this is my failing. Can the detail coat be too thin? Can brushing on the coat introduce air?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm preparing for my next mold and want to avoid any problems.

Thank you

hi! I had a similar issue with some of my first mask castings, I was using WED clay with a coating of a wax release agent. When applying the plaster I found that it didnt want to spread on the surface, instead it formed watery beads on the sculpture, this is due to the water based plaster not being able to cling to the oil based surface. Chavant is oil based so you will get the same result. This reaction traps airbubbles on the surface quite a bit, my Mangalore latex mask has many many pimples on the surface that I needed to snip off.

Solution I found that worked was to give the sculpt a heavy dusting of Talc powder, this will give the plaster something to grab onto and it breaks the surface tension of the water in the plaster so it flows better. Then use a combination of flicking the plaster on the sculpt with your hands, and then use an airbrush to chase out airbubbles form the thin layer of plaster. I didnt have an airbrush that I would allow to be covered in plaster during this process, so I found that blowing into a long drinking straw worked just as well to eliminate airbubbles (though its hard on the lungs!)

It took me a few masks to get the clean surface I wanted, so just keep practicing, you will get there!
Hope that helps!
Andrew

On my last two ultracal 30 molds of chavant clay sculptures I've had issues with the surface detail coat. I get tiny air bubbles on the surface. The latex castings come out with very, very small pimples over large surface areas like you would see from mold erosion but these are the first pulls!

I try my best to do the detail coat right, I make the plaster very thin and brush it on with a chip brush to avoid air pockets but I'm wondering if this is my failing. Can the detail coat be too thin? Can brushing on the coat introduce air?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm preparing for my next mold and want to avoid any problems.

Thank you
If the splash coat is too runny, it wont adhere right to the clay/sealant. I use crystal clear and it works fine. Dont make it TOO thin though, also, get a straw and blow it into the really detailed parts, and I also like to vibrate the sculpture a bit if I can to get out any other trapped air bubbles. If youre short of breath a can of compressed air would work too. Shouldnt be too much of a problem if youre casting in latex, thats pretty forgiving stuff. Slip cast or foam?

hi! I had a similar issue with some of my first mask castings, I was using WED clay with a coating of a wax release agent. When applying the plaster I found that it didnt want to spread on the surface, instead it formed watery beads on the sculpture, this is due to the water based plaster not being able to cling to the oil based surface. Chavant is oil based so you will get the same result. This reaction traps airbubbles on the surface quite a bit, my Mangalore latex mask has many many pimples on the surface that I needed to snip off.

Solution I found that worked was to give the sculpt a heavy dusting of Talc powder, this will give the plaster something to grab onto and it breaks the surface tension of the water in the plaster so it flows better. Then use a combination of flicking the plaster on the sculpt with your hands, and then use an airbrush to chase out airbubbles form the thin layer of plaster. I didnt have an airbrush that I would allow to be covered in plaster during this process, so I found that blowing into a long drinking straw worked just as well to eliminate airbubbles (though its hard on the lungs!)

It took me a few masks to get the clean surface I wanted, so just keep practicing, you will get there!
Hope that helps!
Andrew

Thank you Andrew! I was using a wax based release on the sculpture too, I also found that the plaster wanted to bead on the surface but I assumed it was normal and just kept brushing it on. I normally am not casting latex and mold in fibreglass so this was new to me. Great tip with the talc! I will definitely use that, thank you very much!

If the splash coat is too runny, it wont adhere right to the clay/sealant. I use crystal clear and it works fine. Dont make it TOO thin though, also, get a straw and blow it into the really detailed parts, and I also like to vibrate the sculpture a bit if I can to get out any other trapped air bubbles. If youre short of breath a can of compressed air would work too. Shouldnt be too much of a problem if youre casting in latex, thats pretty forgiving stuff. Slip cast or foam?

I thought this might be the case! I did actually vibrate the plaster before painting it on the sculpture it got rid of some big air pockets, I can't believe I didn't think of doing it after it was on the sculpture. Thank you! It seems like it was a combination of my release agent and making the splash coat too thin. It is just slip cast latex.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I truly appreciate taking the time to help out a newbie.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back