Rogue One: Diego Luna/Captain Cassian Andor Costume Research

I still have plenty of work to do (weathering, holster, boots, rank thingys) but wanted to share a couple of progress pictures. The jacket, pants, and tunic were patterned and sewn by me. The vest was also sewn by me but I cheated a little and used an American 3/4 collar fragmentation vest as the base pattern, and then stuffed the heavy nylon inside the new shell I made. The blaster was a 3D print I found on Etsy. Hopefully when the movie releases to streaming/disc there won't be too much I find that is super-wrong. lol
DSC01062.JPGDSC01064.JPG

Hi I just made the buckle, seems to have come out ok...

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2990.jpg
    IMG_2990.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2992.jpg
    IMG_2992.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 172
Has anyone been bale to source what exactly is on the holster in the loops? They look like the bits used to widen holes on metal or wood but i cant be sure. I new to all this sourcing stuff out thing

What dimensions are you using for the rectangles and how much space between each. The ratio seems to be about 1:5/16" but I think they'd be larger than an inch wide. I am looking at making a stencil with a vinyl cutter and using the puff paint as well.

For the sleeve stripes, I agree with the measurements of @division 6. When I was analyzing Jyn Erso jacket I originally came up and posted my findings of 47 Stripes, each 11 x 26 mm with 46 gaps, each 2 mm high. These dimensions provided a match of the number of stripes to the length of Jyn's sleeves. In practice I ended up with a screen template of 10 x 26 mm stripes with a 3 mm gap. This is very close to the 3/8" x 1" with 1/8" gap. I have not yet successfully executed the puff paint but I believe that will narrow the gaps back close to my original 2 mm estimate. Obviously Cassian's (and others) will have a different number of stripes and gaps consistent with the increased sleeve lengths.

If you look at the different jackets in the movie and on display at various events you will notice a different number of stripes even for the same character.
In Jyn's I found a 46 / 48 difference between jackets and 52 /53 on Cassians.
Jyn's Airport display jacket was missing the front pleats and had a green zipper instead of black.

I used speedball fabric printing ink in yellow, white, and brown, mixed 6:3:2 respectively. I mixed in Jacquard Puff Additive at roughly 15% by weight. I used a heat gun to set the ink and create the puff effect. It turned out really nicely.[/h]
Nice.
What kind of paint / ink did you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I missed this, but did anyone identify the exact ski boot binding clamp that is used on both Cassian's and Jyn's boots?

It's not the exact buckle, but the toe buckle from a pair of Lange ski boots from the '80s or '90s was the closest I could find. (The toe buckle is smaller and has a shorter bail [the wire loop] than the other buckles; alternatively you might be able to use buckles from a pair of kid's boots.) If you can't find any Lange boots, it might also be worth looking at an older pair of Alpina, Nordica, Rossignol or Technica boots. Most boot brands would have switched to the new style of buckles in the 1990s; trashy old ski boots are your friend here!

Here's an example. The boots I actually bought had black buckles with silver adjustment screws (the teal line in the center of the buckle on these) and basically just needed the Lange logo scraped off. I was able to pry the buckles out of the boot with some work, but others have found it easier to just saw the boot apart or drill out the rivet.

s-l1600_zpskeopeuut.jpg

I got a Tommy Hilfiger coat for a reasonable price that looks the part of Andor's. Needed one for camping/horseback riding in Monument Valley 2 weekends back anyway and figured why not convert it? [emoji23] I'll post some pics after I add the stripes to the sleeves and a few other details...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrononaut is correct. Here are my boots with the Lange toe buckle. I was able to simply pry mine off with a screwdriver and then drill out the rivet.

GzZVeBJ.jpg

It's not the exact buckle, but the toe buckle from a pair of Lange ski boots from the '80s or '90s was the closest I could find. (The toe buckle is smaller and has a shorter bail [the wire loop] than the other buckles; alternatively you might be able to use buckles from a pair of kid's boots.) If you can't find any Lange boots, it might also be worth looking at an older pair of Alpina, Nordica, Rossignol or Technica boots. Most boot brands would have switched to the new style of buckles in the 1990s; trashy old ski boots are your friend here!

Here's an example. The boots I actually bought had black buckles with silver adjustment screws (the teal line in the center of the buckle on these) and basically just needed the Lange logo scraped off. I was able to pry the buckles out of the boot with some work, but others have found it easier to just saw the boot apart or drill out the rivet.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee96/AtomicStables/SW/s-l1600_zpskeopeuut.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back