My First Thread, MPC Millennium Falcon Build

What do you mean by stout? I'm curious, as I just got my MPC Falcon today and will be planning my build for it. Plus I'm anxiously awaiting the upgrade kit to become available from one of the members here.

Roboted, build looks amazing! Sorry for interrupting your thread...

-Kris

The main thing that effects the accuracy of the MPC kit is the overall thickness of the model.....(similar to the very expensive FineMolds 1/72 reissued as Revell Master Series Falcon)
This has a knock on effect to the height of the side-walls....if you lower the height of the side walls,....that makes the kit even flatter,....so the best way to fix the model is to fatten up the centre of the model,...this along with the thinner sidewalls corrects the curvature of the ship.....

I mentioned my concern that perhaps Roboted had increased the height of the ship a little too much back in post #41

Now that we can see the entire ship a lot better I definitely still see that the ship is a little too thick,...I think theres still time to thin her down some

J

The main thing that effects the accuracy of the MPC kit is the overall thickness of the model.....(similar to the very expensive FineMolds 1/72 reissued as Revell Master Series Falcon)
This has a knock on effect to the height of the side-walls....if you lower the height of the side walls,....that makes the kit even flatter,....so the best way to fix the model is to fatten up the centre of the model,...this along with the thinner sidewalls corrects the curvature of the ship.....

I mentioned my concern that perhaps Roboted had increased the height of the ship a little too much back in post #41

Now that we can see the entire ship a lot better I definitely still see that the ship is a little too thick,...I think theres still time to thin her down some

J

I got you now. I'll certainly keep that in mind when doing my build. Thanks for tue explanation!

-Kris

Yep a lot of great work,....but I still think she looks too stout,...its not too late

View attachment 591915

J

I did say before to you that my camera has a funny way of distorting photos as its actually a webcam.

I have followed the reference stuff closely and i wouldnt of bothered to go this far with the model if i didnt have some idea of the dimensions and shape. If you have a minute, look back through the photos i have posted and you will see how the model looks different from photo to photo.

The biggest problem from what i have seen on some of the other builds is the wrong over sized cockpit tube and the main saucer still being too thin after its been modified. Its easier now the bandai falcon is about as that has very good overall dimensions to compare too.

It might be a good idea for me to stop posting until i get a better camera, just to avoid any more confusion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice words guys. I guess in the mean time il try to take photos in a better lighting situation. My webcam really was not suited for this kind of thing, il try using my tablet next time :)

Il be back with some photos that show the model better.

Hopefully these pics do the model more justice.

IMG_20160217_074111.jpgIMG_20160217_074056.jpgIMG_20160217_074015.jpgIMG_20160217_073843.jpgIMG_20160217_073829.jpgIMG_20160217_073748.jpgIMG_20160217_073726.jpg

I built the gunner turret interior aswell.

WIN_20160217_07_49_28_Pro.jpgWIN_20160217_07_48_20_Pro.jpgWIN_20160217_07_49_02_Pro.jpg

Im going to work on more greeblies and tackle the stand and lighting next.

I've gotta side with John on this one, it does look a little tooo chubby, but regardless it's superb looking model and if that was mine I'd certainly be happy with it !!
Keep up the solid work, can't wait to see more :D

Thanks for the critique. Im going to reduce the large step where the engine deck meets the rest of the saucer, as i know that definatly is too big. Its probably why the model looks too big from the photos, as well as the docking ring areas are too high, but im ok with leaving them as is.

Its been a good effort i think, considering this is the first model i messed with. I knew going in i would have bits i wish i could have changed along the way.

I do really want to start getting it finished as i want to move on to other things and have spent too much time on it already.

Hi Reboot,

Simple test on the hull shape, what is the distance through centre of ship without the gun turrets? It should be no more than 66mm. Keep in mind also, that the more arch you place on the MPC model the less circumference you have on the outer dish. One major mistake on the MPC is the disk sizes. If you increase the disk size instead many of the other dimensions become correct on the MPC. Leaving it as it is you have to change everything on the MPC to suit the disk size.

Regards

Ozzy

Last edited:
Hi Reboot,

Simple test on the hull shape, what is the distance through centre of ship without the gun turrets? It should be no more than 66mm. Keep in mind also, that the more arch you place on the MPC model the less circumference you have on the outer dish. One major mistake on the MPC is the disk sizes. If you increase the disk size instead many of the other dimensions become correct on the MPC. Leaving it as it is you have to change everything on the MPC to suit the disk size.

Regards

Ozzy

Hi ozzy, thanks for the info. one question,was that 66mm height including the sidewall height?

At this point i think i will just live with the model as is. Its been a fun learning experiance and i can take the new found knowledge into future projects. I dont think il be doing anymore falcon stuff after this for some time tho. Im kinda loosing interest at this point and just want to bring this to a close. and i dont like to leave projects unfinished and laying around.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, its most appreciated :)

Including side walls at 1.6mm, from memory

It looks great regardless of what the hull curve is mate so go with what works for you.

PS: Nice to see my turret graphics still being used after ten years,

Ozzy

Last edited:
Including side walls at 1.6mm, from memory

It looks great regardless of what the hull curve is mate so go with what works for you.

PS: Nice to see my turret graphics still being used after ten years,

Ozzy

So 66mm in total? not 66mm add 16mm which would be 82? sorry if im slightly obtuse haha

Many thanks for the Turret walls printout, im glad you chimed in as i always like to say thankyou for a community gesture. im sure they will go on to be in many more falcons to come.

I have sorted out the horrible step on the engine deck area of the model. I think it looks alot better now the profile is more streamlined. maybe i have just got bad eyesight tho haha. Keep in mind that the docking ring backing peices and top sections are definatly to tall. i let you all be the judge :)

IMG_20160219_111658.jpgIMG_20160219_111640.jpgIMG_20160219_111619.jpg

You might be able to see the distortion of my camera in the 3rd picture. notice how the wall tiles are not the correct shape and the plug socket looks slightly squashed. I cant stress enough how different things look in photos. The model looks much shorter than it should but in some of the other pictures it looks far too long. im taking into consideration that objects look different at certain angles. the 3rd picture was taken straight on the model.

I think it might possibly be 2mm over the height it should be, which is ok of a margin for me. It is my first go at the MPC.

Last edited:
You might find you get a more accurate image if you were to take the photograph from further away, but zoom in to the size you want.

The closer you are to the subject, the more lens distortion you'll get....it's the principle that the 'Dolly Zoom' shot works on (one of Hitchcock's favourites) whereby the camera is pulled away from the subject but is zoomed simultaneously, meaning the focus stays centered, but the distortion creates a vertiginous effect.

Not mega relevant and you probably already knew it, but an interesting fact nonetheless !

Im over by about 4mm. definately abit fat then lol.

The good thing to come out of this is that now there is an example of how you can go slightly too far with the curvature Mod on the MPC. s=Someone should make a picture of the kit being too thin,too fat and just the right thickness. it would be good for a guide of how to do this properly :)

Thanks for your help John.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back