Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
I wouldn't say it's lazy. Fuel was never an issue before because that's not where those stories went. Fuel being a scarce and valuable commodity isn't lazy writing. Hell having the Resistance run low on fuel wasn't lazy either, it adds a dilemma and makes things more realistic. The laziness comes in with the slow speed chase, with the FO ships just following along just outside weapons range. Like they can't catch up? They can't shoot at ships that are right over there? They sent fighters after them once, why not continue with that?

Just dumb beyond belief :facepalm

To the "can't shoot at ships right over there" thing it, it was established way back in A New Hope that weapons, even powerful ones on star ships, have range. The primary reason the Falcon gets captured by the Death Star is because the TIE is out of range of the ship's weapons and Han insists on chasing it down.

It's been a thing from the beginning.

Also, it wasn't a "slow speed chase." All ships involved were literally moving at their maximum non-hyperspace velocity. This was mentioned. The Resistance ships had a slightly faster maximum speed than the FO ships, allowing them to stay out of weapon range, but couldn't jump to Hyperspace or they'd be dead in space and tracked. THIS. WAS. LITERALLY. MENTIONED.

As I've said before, disliking TLJ is fine. Deliberately continuing to get plot points wrong to call the film lazy is not.

I mean it's not like TLJ retconned Han by literally making him the guy responsible for funding the Rebellion or anything...

Well, I went and saw it. Just got back. Had nothing better to do today after 9pm and with 20 minutes before the film started I headed to the theater to see Solo. I honestly never had much interest in this film from the time I heard they were making it and really didn't care to see it, but I was bored and so I went. What did I think? Honestly? Well, I went in already knowing a little about the film and some of its twists, but not everything. What I did get spoiled on didn't take away from the film. I liked it. Yep. I liked the movie. It wasn't a mind blowing experience, but it was entertaining and honestly I feel even the guy playing Han played the part pretty well. If you are on the fence, give it a shot. It's not bad. I'm glad I saw it.

I want to add that I COMPLETELY understand fan reluctance to see this. I understand that The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were let downs for a lot of people. Over all for me, they were disappointing, but with some good stuff sprinkled in. I also understand people that might be boycotting this movie to make a point. They want better films than what we got from the current trilogy and I agree with them 100% that things could be done better. I'll say this. Rogue One and SOLO are solid films and I recommend them. I'm pleasantly surprised I liked it.

Not saying that, if that was directed at me. I never have, and don't expect others to, blindly swallow and love everything put out with a Star Wars label on it. But I'd rather they keep working on getting it right than give up because we hate their early efforts without George steering the ship.

Nah, wasn't directed at anyone really. I just keep seeing comments about "real fans" online and thought I'd put that out there. :)

Oh FFS, you know damn well what I meant. Slow relative speed. Can't these state of the art FO ships overtake them? They can't hyper jump ahead of them and meet them head on? And the Supremacy must have a million fighters, and we saw Kylo and his wingmen pass up the Raddus and attack it from the front, why not send more fighters to finish them? I'll tell you why, because the plot needed a lot of time to pass and RJ isn't clever enough to write anything better.

I don't think Han funded the beginning of the Rebellion at all. That was just one group working towards a goal. Doesn't mean it was the absolute start of the rebellion.

Yup. At that point, they're isolated groups with similar goals. A young Jyn has been running with Saw Gererra's Partisans for three years by the end of Solo. Hera and Kanan are just getting going... The actual Rebel alliance doesn't organize for another seven or eight years yet.

Saw it last night with my wife and a couple friends. Were were the only ones in the theater!

It was...meh.

I didn't hate it. Some things made my eyes roll. I can't remember anything that I LOVED. D Glover did a good job.

I think I may have enjoyed it more if it wasn't a Star Wars movie. Because it wasn't a Star Wars movie.

To the "can't shoot at ships right over there" thing it, it was established way back in A New Hope that weapons, even powerful ones on star ships, have range. The primary reason the Falcon gets captured by the Death Star is because the TIE is out of range of the ship's weapons and Han insists on chasing it down.

It's been a thing from the beginning.

Also, it wasn't a "slow speed chase." All ships involved were literally moving at their maximum non-hyperspace velocity. This was mentioned. The Resistance ships had a slightly faster maximum speed than the FO ships, allowing them to stay out of weapon range, but couldn't jump to Hyperspace or they'd be dead in space and tracked. THIS. WAS. LITERALLY. MENTIONED.

As I've said before, disliking TLJ is fine. Deliberately continuing to get plot points wrong to call the film lazy is not.

I mean it's not like TLJ retconned Han by literally making him the guy responsible for funding the Rebellion or anything...

If the resistance have a slightly faster top speed than the FO how did they not outrun them? And why would running out of fuel slow them down? It’s not lazy writing it’s incompetent writing but we have your permission to not like it so that’s ok!

I saw the film over the weekend,...I went with an old mate,...(the same mate I saw Star Wars with back in January 1978,....UK had to wait a while to get their turn)

I didn't really have the urge to see the film in the cinema,...I was gonna wait till it came out on BD,...but I was pleasantly surprised with the movie,...I have no complaints with the cast,...Alden Ehrenreich was fine, didn't have a problem with his performance....Anthony Ingruber would have been a better representation,....BUT...we have AE, & he did a grand job

I didn't find any issue with the picture quality that some are having issues with....new digital projectors in our local Omniplex,....excellent picture

I am very relieved that the film turned out as good as it was,...considering all the problems it had

The droid was a wee bit annoying....but as RLM said, if you take the SJW comments as sarcasm about the current way films are handled, it was ok

I really had a dread that my love for Star Wars had ended....now there is a glimmer of hope....The Last Jedi was the rotten apple in the barrel

J

If the resistance have a slightly faster top speed than the FO how did they not outrun them? And why would running out of fuel slow them down? It’s not lazy writing it’s incompetent writing but we have your permission to not like it so that’s ok!

I'm going to be boring and science-y for a sec. They were limited to sublight while enacting Leia's plan, as any hyperjumps wouldn't get them away from the FO who could track them. So they've got the pedal to the metal. Now, one of the things we don't see much is how fast "sublight" is in Star Wars. Over in Star Trek, they have operational guidelines. "Half impulse", "quarter impulse", and "full impulse" are more about acceleration than top speed. For normal operations, they limit themselves to .25c because much faster than that and they have to start taking relativistic effects into consideration. In combat and other emergencies, where speed is a lot more important as a tool, they'll go past .5c, but usually not much beyond .75c...

In Star Wars, "going in full throttle", those X-wings looked to be going... maybe a couple hundred miles an hour relative to the surface of the Death Star. The Tantive IV, desperately trying to get away from the Devastator, looked to have been going maybe a thousand miles an hour. Given that we already engage in aerial combat at and beyond the speed of sound, I like to think that the apparently slow speeds of those ships is a conceit like sound in space -- there to help the audience parse what's happening, rather than an accurate depiction of actual events. If the Tantive IV had whipped past a stationary camera at suborbital speeds, it would have been a whitish smear on the movie screen, gone in two frames.

But the same thing applies in both of those universes, as well as ours. Whatever the normal operational speed practices, if you keep the engines on full, you'll keep accelerating toward c, and your rate of acceleration is a factor of thrust-to-mass. What was at work in TLJ was that the Resistance ships were smaller with big/many engines, and so had better acceleration than the FO ships. So the whole duration of that chase, they were pulling away. But the FO ships were also still accelerating, albeit more slowly. So when a Resistance ship ran out of gas, it was no longer accelerating, just coasting. It would get outpaced by the remaining ships still under thrust, and eventually overtaken by the also-still-accelerating FO ships.

As long as your fuel source holds, you'll continue accelerating indefinitely, but in a decreasing curve as you get closer and closer to the speed of light. It'll take more and more power to keep mounting those decimal points.

What was lacking was any point of reference for how fast those ships were going relative to surrounding space. They might have been zipping along at several million miles per hour, but we'd have no way to tell, so it looks slow, because the camera is mostly keeping pace with them. This is, of course, also not taking into consideration tactical moves like blocking their path or surrounding them in a collapsing sphere, or any other sensible move that any competent combat captain would know and make.

Not to derail this train of thought (heh) but I got the Art of Solo book, and none of the three directors is mentioned anywhere so far. Anything having to do with filming is either ascribed to a second unit random or described in this weird passive voice. I was hoping to some insight as to what was filmed by which directors, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen as of about halfway through reading it.

Star Wars isnt science fiction. It is a Space fantasy. Come on, there are even wizards and magic.

And the point is you can’t use the laws of science to explain why something is supposed to make “sense” but then in the same breathe say “science doesn’t count” to counter arguments about why something doesn’t. Can’t have it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the point is you can’t use the laws of science to explain why something is supposed to make “sense” but then in the same breathe say “science doesn’t count” to counter arguments about why something doesn’t. Can’t have it both ways.

I just hate it when people complain about the science in Star Wars because Lightsabers are impossible, the force impossible, laser blasters impossible. tie fighters screaming in space impossible. But we all accept those things, but Leia using the force in outer space, "oh thats just absurd" ships running out of fuel and slowing down," that's just ridiculous."

Funny tweet from John Kasdan. With 80% of the RPF in either the good or great camp he has a valid point.

Attachments

• 505E5C92-57B1-464F-9334-8F18271DAB89.png
    505E5C92-57B1-464F-9334-8F18271DAB89.png
    356.9 KB · Views: 126
All, I haven't been able to have eyes on any of the 'art of', 'making of', visual dictionary' books as yet, but if anyone has, are there any photos of the Dryden Vos party guests in them? Interested for personal reasons. If you can't post pics here, can someone throw me a PM letting me know if there are any around. thanks guys.

vos.jpg

I just hate it when people complain about the science in Star Wars because Lightsabers are impossible, the force impossible, laser blasters impossible. tie fighters screaming in space impossible. But we all accept those things, but Leia using the force in outer space, "oh thats just absurd" ships running out of fuel and slowing down," that's just ridiculous."

This thread is about Solo so I’m not going to go off on tangents. But.. audiences accept many things that aren’t “possible” in Star Wars because it’s a fictional universe. But when you do things that are counter to any of those universal rules that have been established before, counter to characters’ established past/skills/acumen (like Leia force flying back to the ship even though she never demonstrated anything other than some intuition in the past), or even counter to common sense (Leia surviving the blast unscathed) people are going to call BS.

Any time you need to EXPLAIN to your audience why your movie or scene doesn’t suck is exactly when it does.

Back to Solo [emoji4]

but Leia using the force in outer space, "oh thats just absurd" ships running out of fuel and slowing down," that's just ridiculous."

No one complained that she used the force in space, it was more that the visual of it was utterly laughable. I was waiting for Dick Van Dyke to appear in a chimney sweep outfit.
It was also totally unnecessary, why show her use the force and then not have her use it again for any real helpful purpose through the rest of the movie.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back