Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

I wouldn't be able to say about a washer, I've heard that theory being tossed around for a while.

I think that the zoomed in image isn't showing a casting seam, but instead it's paint from the top of the grenade section lining up with either paint / shadow on the lower windvane section and *something* on the upper windvane. I would guess that it's just weathered paint, but it's hard to tell in that image.

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but if you cut the pole section off the fencing saber (or OWK motorized saber), you're left with the 'nipple' part of the emitter right? The bottom centimeter or so of the poles look dangerously like emitters.

Capture.JPG

I swear I've got the "Mystery Chunk" cracked: it's a leather stamp. More specifically, a "beveler." I just got one in the mail and I've been just looking it over and comparing it to the screencaps we have of it and I'm absolutely positive this is our chunk (well, at least a good 98% anyway).

It's tapered, got the fine knurling on the top, and I believe it has the long side of the stamp facing away from the cone knob, which gives it that peculiar shape seen in the armrest photo.

Here's some quick, dirty (and regrettably dark) photos compared to the sq. head set screw currently on my Starkiller V2 (First Run). I always thought the bit above the cubes were a bit long but you get the rough idea.

View attachment 773806 View attachment 773807

View attachment 773808

I'm wanting to save this for the new run, should/when it happens, but in the meantime, any thoughts?

90OHTAB.jpg

FCOIeyr.jpg

eXoaFP3.jpg

my own version of "The Mystery chunk" taken from a leather stamp. Mine just has no knurling on top.

I'm 98.76% sure that no one on set would take the time to grind metal off of the sides of a tiny bolt to disguise the fact that it's a bolt.

I'm under the same impression. Last minute touches needed for a prop on set and whoever was handling it had to have grabbed something close by, and of little consequence, to use. It's figuring what would've been available, or most likely to have been, that's trouble.

I still believe it's a stamp of some sort, if it's not a leathercraft tool. The checkering on the surface of the thing I think was meant to leave an impression on or in something. I don't think it was just for contact with a hammer or something.

I agree that for last minute fixes, you would pick up the nearest thing that fits but if they're not going to grind a bolt down, they're not going to cut a leather stamping tool down either.

I agree that for last minute fixes, you would pick up the nearest thing that fits but if they're not going to grind a bolt down, they're not going to cut a leather stamping tool down either.

Grinding four sides of a cube down to make a trapezoidal shape is trouble. Whacking the stem off of a punch is nothing, and could be done in a few seconds.

I agree with what @James Kenobi 1138 says about a washer being the emitter face. If you look at the pic below, you can see it looks like a washer that has had the hole enlarged, somewhat unevenly. That'd also explain the warping of the emitter - washers are pretty easy to bend.

View attachment 793674

Just out of interest, does this look like a casting seam?

View attachment 793676

Apologies if this has been covered - i'm only up to page 77 or so!
Well, it was cast in aluminum and cleaned up some on a lathe, so very well could be a seam.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

so, I took Inigou's photo and accidentally zoomed in too much in photoshop.

it's all browns. It looks like skin color this close up, but definitely not brass and not copper.Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 9.29.13 PM.png

Hey thd9791 ! I've been seeing that too, but thinking that it should still have a metallic quality to it. Maybe like they painted it with gold, copper, and graphite Testors metallic paints and came up with a browninsh hue.

I've also been thinking that there's a bit of green in the Grooves of the Grenade Section. Though that may be dust and mold growing on it these past 35 years, and not a true representation of the Lightsaber as it was in Return of the Jedi.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, colors showing up on a digital photo's individual pixels have no bearing on the actual colors/materials found on the actual object. Don't overthink this. An approximation is the best that can ever be expected - even if one had the prop in-hand for detailed study.

/\

This is exactly right - what you're seeing is Photoshop interpreting colors/assigning values within the digital image. Those are NOT the actual, real life colors.

Using some deductive reasoning. And taking in account the Obi-Wan "Hero" saber it was intended to replicate. And looking at all the pictures I can find. My guess is that the saber was painted with black. And then an aged brass color added over the top of the black. I would also guess that they didn't use primer since so much of the paint has come off. You can follow the filming schedule by seeing how much paint is on the saber.

Last edited:
Hasn't it already been established that the paint on the V2 is simply the old paint from when it used to be a Ben stunt saber and that it is simply wearing off after 6 years. IMHO, other than sticking some some knobs in it to plug old holes, they did not do much of anything to make it look like Luke's new lightsaber.

This pic from the deleted sandstorm scene looks like there was a lot more black paint on it. Maybe the blowing sand wore it off during filming these scenes?

26763899917_6838fc083f_b.jpg

Don’t forget the Endor scenes also. Where was this in the filming timeline?

Attachments

• 00A8B7DD-AB20-4C78-9DA9-918AF980C5D8.jpeg
    00A8B7DD-AB20-4C78-9DA9-918AF980C5D8.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Using some deductive reasoning. And taking in account the "Hero" saber it was intended to replicate. And looking at all the pictures I can find. My guess is that the saber was painted with black. And then an aged brass color added over the top of the black. I would also guess that they didn't use primer since so much of the paint has come off. You can follow the filming schedule by seeing how much paint is on the saber.

It wasn't intended to replicate the Hero lightsaber. The Hero lightsaber was built AFTER, in order to show a close up of it.

The V2 was the same prop Alec used in ANH as a stunt saber. It was originally painted black (and maybe copper/bronze on the neck).
During ROTJ, they gave it to Mark to use after realizing that he wasn't supposed to still have the Graflex after losing it in ESB. so they most likely just grabbed what they could find because A. Luke would have made a new one and B. He would have built it similarly to his master (obi-wan). So that's the one he uses in 90% of the film. Then for that ONE shot where vader holds it, they made a hero based off of the v2.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back