Boba Fett Empire Strikes Back Build Thread

Hey Team!
Ok, so while I've been working on commissions and researching color's and tones for the Empire Strikes Back Boba Fett helmet I've inevitably noticed more and more tiny details that I missed on my personal lid. Since these details can be bothersome I had some free time and reluctantly decided I would make some small tweaks.

The first thing that bothered me was the main red for my mandibles and rim. It was just too clean, a little too bright and didn't have the right depth and contrast with the main green. For this adjustment all I needed was some very watered down acrylic mixes for light misting and weathering with an airbrush. This way it adds to the layer that's already there but doesn't replace it. Preparation for this adjustment was exhausting having to mask off everything again that I didn't want effected.

The other thing that bothered me was the main grey on top of the red mandibles and rim. It was just a tiny bit too dark and didn't contrast well with the red. I watered down a much lighter gray but used the same concept as I did for the red on the mandibles, I wanted to add to the layer that was already present but not replace it. This is most difficult when going from darker to lighter shades. Since it was watered down it was a very thin layer of paint and didn't add to the thickness overall but it did lighten it up just enough.

I also added some scratches and dings in the main dent that I had missed which was all topical using the same paint I used when I first painted this helmet a year ago. Yes, I save extra paint mixes I use on projects and label them for the future.

Lastly I installed yet another new Visor. It has a much better curve to it then the previous welding shield I was using. Problem is that it's much darker and harder to see out of. I'm not set on it as it has a faint green tinge to it, so I'm still searching and may change it out later.

I tried to set up better lighting for these new shots to really capture the color and contrast of colors. I only have my iphone as a camera so I know the photo's aren't great.

Below are after I made the adjustments:
Cameron's Boba Fett Helmet as seen in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 1 Bright Natural 2.jpg Cameron's Boba Fett Helmet as seen in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 2 Bright Natural.jpg Cameron's Boba Fett Helmet as seen in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 3 Bright Natural.jpg Cameron's Boba Fett Helmet as seen in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 4. bright Natural.jpg

Below are before I made these minor adjustments. I know it's super subtle and may seem nit picky but I think it has made a world of difference.
Cameron's Boba Fett Helmet as seen in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 5 Bright Natural.jpg Cameron's Boba Fett Helmet as seen in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 6 bright Natural.jpg

Great job and detail....just wow!

Thanks Brother! I appreciate the compliment ;)

The original 1980 ESB visor was green right? I can't remember

Not so sure what the original was but my resources tell me that the current visor with the ESB helmet is smoke grey. I'm not sure if or when they replaced the original visor and if they replaced it with the same type in coloration and thickness. Maybe someone can straighten me out with some new evidence on the original.

Hey Team,
So it's been over a year in the works but I believe I'm another step closer to making an accurate ESB Boba Fett Cape. Made from an authentic issued WWII US khaki Tan (OD #3) tent. I had been searching for over a year for the right coloration and for an authentic issued tent with minimal wear for this project. Though there is still a lot of debate on what material was actually used for this part on the suit, I think it is a valid contender based on its thickness, it's weave, coloration and fraying ability. Another valid point to make would be that other proto type Boba Fett's and the ROTJ Fett used military type tent canvas for their capes. Even though this is still up for debate I'm in the camp that thinks this is a contender for what was actually used in The Empire Strikes Back.

More information that has risen from research is that I've found two types of canvas material weaves so far. Plain weave and Twill weave. I believe based on reference photos that the correct weave is twill which gives a diagonal weave. Another thing to note when looking through these authentic shelter halves is a lot of them have been water treated which makes the fabric a lot more stiff. The softer the fabric the more natural the drape which is what we see in screen shots from The Empire Strikes Back. Another variable is the coloration. The OD #3 looks very different in different lighting, also depending on if it has had field use and has faded it will take on a different look and feel. So with all this it is really hard to pin it down and if possible it's important to be able to get your hands on one and verify these variables.

When making these into a cape keep in mind that the stripe needs to be painted on. I used acrylic paint with a fabric medium to allow it to penetrate properly. The results I believe are quite convincing.

(pic heavy) Below is the first one from shelter half to striped, weathered and distressed replica cape.

IMG_9460.JPG IMG_9465.JPG IMG_9466.JPG IMG_9525.JPG

IMG_0037 Fotor2.JPG IMG_0057 Fotor.JPG IMG_0053 Fotor.JPG IMG_0054 Fotor3.JPG IMG_0055 Fotor3.JPG IMG_0084 (1) Fotor.JPG

FullSizeRender Fotor(1).jpg FullSizeRender Fotor.jpg

IMG_0098 Fotor.JPG IMG_0099 Fotor.JPG FullSizeRender (2).jpg

IMG_0271 Fotor.JPG IMG_0273 Fotor.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

IMG_9465.JPG

IMG_9466.JPG

IMG_9525.JPG

FullSizeRender Fotor(1).jpg

FullSizeRender Fotor.jpg

IMG_0037 Fotor2.JPG

IMG_0057 Fotor.JPG

IMG_0053 Fotor.JPG

IMG_0054 Fotor3.JPG

IMG_0055 Fotor3.JPG

IMG_0056 Fotor2.JPG

IMG_0084 (1) Fotor.JPG

IMG_0098 Fotor.JPG

IMG_0099 Fotor.JPG

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

IMG_0271 Fotor.JPG

IMG_0273 Fotor.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent work fettastic! can you link me to your paint set up? I'm mostly interested in what airbrush paints you're using (exactly, hopefully) because I'd like to recreate this build. Did you do any rattlecan work? What kind of masking fluid did you use? Any help is much appreciated, and great work on this build!

One of the best Fetts I’ve ever seen!

ESB has always been my favorite. Your color pallet is right on. Love[emoji7]

excellent work fettastic! can you link me to your paint set up? I'm mostly interested in what airbrush paints you're using (exactly, hopefully) because I'd like to recreate this build. Did you do any rattlecan work? What kind of masking fluid did you use? Any help is much appreciated, and great work on this build!

Sending PM.

One of the best Fetts I’ve ever seen!

ESB has always been my favorite. Your color pallet is right on. Love[emoji7]

Thank you very much Stormy as always ;) The more I research the ESB Fett the more I appreciate it and the more I feel the original suit was truly a work of art.

Cape update!!!

Another cape that I've scrounged off the interwebs from another WWII shelter half. Just finished the hems and I painted on the stripe with a slight modification to my orange mixture. Here are some comparison shots I used with reference photo's as my inspiration.

thumbnail_IMG_14533.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-13resize.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-13a.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-04resize.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-04resizeab.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimageresize.png

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-07ccc.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-09resize.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-09a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1446.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_14500.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen the blaster greeblie that's just been found by the " parts of Star Wars" guys ... the two way switch on the stock ?

Oh yes I have! Still tickles me when these found parts come up after so many years. I have 2 castings and 2 actual switch blocks on the way ;)

THAT IS SO BEAUTIFUL! Best Fett I know!
I even had to write it in big letters! Every time this gets updated you amaze me again!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back