Mr Maul conversion advice

paulcliff

Hi all, first time poster here.

I am looking a doing a conversion on my 2 MR Maul sabers, the blades have gone a horrible yellow colour, looks like its on the inside so will need to be dismantled.

I am looking at buying one of the conversion kits from JQ Sabers (I'm in the UK) and using this guide: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?1024-06-MR-Darth-Maul-Done-amp-kits-available

I've not done any soldering since I was at school (17 year ago) but I'm eager to give it a go. I am slightly confused by the section in the guide that talks about cutting wires and re-joining them, it doesn't seem very clear to me, does anyone have a diagram I could follow instead or any advice?

As far as the blade goes, JQ Sabers have recommended I buy one of their blades then cut it down to 30" but I'll do that at a later date.

Anything thing else I need to know before proceeding?

Hi Paul!

I do these all the time...happy to walk you through anything if you run into trouble.

Jon

Thanks again Jon, I did the conversion the other day and all went well, I have another one to do and still have the blades to order.

IMG_0687.jpg

what conversion did you end up going with?

This one: http://www.jqsabers.com/product/mrhasbro-fx-anakin-rots-conversion-kit-2-2/

The blade holder was really difficult to get into the hilt, I'm glad I tested it first, theres 2 rubber rings (?) on the inside of the hilt, to get the blade holder to move past them i had to knock them in with some force. I have seen since that they can be removed but no guide mentions this, its fine once it's in but it might be hassle removing it all if I ever need to. Maybe I'll try removing the rings beforehand on the other Maul I have.

Other than that the guide on CSS was fine, it doesn't mention a resistor which I added and was in the kit I ordered and the wiring section is a little vague. I found a video on youtube showing the wiring of the the same thing in a Vader saber which has the exact same internal electronics.

Overall a great learning experience!

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing is that with the resistor its all a very tight fit, next time I need to keep the wires a lot shorter, I think I kept them too long really but was nervous about them being short incase I messed up and had to trim them!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Paul!

I do these all the time...happy to walk you through anything if you run into trouble.

Jon

Do you have any photos of the process just so I can compare it to what I did? I'm interested to see your wiring and how it all fits inside the hilt.

Hi Paul!

Jon

Hi Jon

Quick question, I'm doing another Maul conversion but using a single Cree XPE2 Red this time, do I need to use a resistor with this LED? I'm struggling to find the voltage that is supplied form the board to the LED to calculate it.

Hi Paul,

Actually, no. I have worked the calculations and run the testing on the MR boards. With a single cree XP-E2 red (or "Deep Red" Luxeon (my preferred sith Color in a 1-up)), you do not need a resistor. Keep in mind that board originally drives about 20 5mm leds...and although the 1-ups are 3w...the boards can easily handle them. I have never had an issue with over 52 conversions done (Vader, Maul, etc.)

Good Luck! Hope that helps!

Jon

Hi Paul,

Actually, no. I have worked the calculations and run the testing on the MR boards. With a single cree XP-E2 red (or "Deep Red" Luxeon (my preferred sith Color in a 1-up)), you do not need a resistor. Keep in mind that board originally drives about 20 5mm leds...and although the 1-ups are 3w...the boards can easily handle them. I have never had an issue with over 52 conversions done (Vader, Maul, etc.)

Good Luck! Hope that helps!

Jon

Thanks Jon that's super helpful :thumbsup

OMG looks great!! I've been searching for a while for anyone documenting any conversions on these in recent times. I just managed to get my hands on 2 sets of full staffs. I want to do a full internals rebuild for one staff (new sounds board, removable blade, LEDS). I'm trying to put together a part list or finding a smith with experience that to outsource the build to.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back