First order stormtrooper for my 5 year old

MTB

Sr Member
Just wanted to share this project with everyone. My daughter asked me to build her a stormtrooper costumer from TFA for her birthday party and she wanted it pink and purple (her favorite colors) so of course I said yes! Here are few pics I toll during the build.

uploadfromtaptalk1474881098240.jpg
I had ordered her a kids helmet from HalloweenCostumes and in the picture it showed it being one piece. Well when it arrived it was a cheap two price mask. So i just make it into a one piece helmet! I had also fixed the mesh for eyes and the holes on the nose.

uploadfromtaptalk1474881737684.jpg
Then I pep'd all the parts. This was extremely hard to scale for a almost 5 year old. But I ended up getting it pretty close.

uploadfromtaptalk1474881745328.jpg
Then of course came the fiberglassing. I also used the fiberglass cloth on the inside of each piece.

uploadfromtaptalk1474881753129.jpg
Then came the bonding and sanding, and sanding, and sanding, the. Some painting.

uploadfromtaptalk1474881762030.jpg
Did a quick test fit on her. Then put the rest on the duct tape dummy I made of her.

uploadfromtaptalk1474881774629.jpg
More bonding and painting. We had bought a blaster from Disneyland a while back so I had to make it match her suit.

uploadfromtaptalk1474881794971.jpg
For some of the detail parts, clips, gauntlets markings, and chest clips I went to toys R us and took clay impressions of them then did a quick casting out of fiberglass resin.
uploadfromtaptalk1474881805376.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1474881851936.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1474881862322.jpg
Well after more bondo, sanding, smoothing out the casted parts, painting and lots of test fittings here it the final result. She couldn't have been happier!!

uploadfromtaptalk1474882726787.jpg
We even got a few guys from the 501st to come to her party!

Over all it was a quick but successful build for my little girl!!

Ha. You made the casting IN Toys R Us? It looks great. Did you replace the helmet lenses?

Lol I didnt do the actual casting in the store. I just got the clay impressions then took them home and did it. And yes I replaced the lenses, I got some thin tinted plastic from Tap Plastics, cut it to shape and heated it to fit the curve of the helmet.

Oh she was!! She is going to wear it for Halloween too and also to Disneyland when we go in a week!

That's AWSOME! Taking an impression in the store is very creative. After working on several pep helmets I can't imagin how you managed to get that to come out so clean. Great job!

That's AWSOME! Taking an impression in the store is very creative. After working on several pep helmets I can't imagin how you managed to get that to come out so clean. Great job!
Thanks!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back