The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Finally got around to finishing a couple of angled Volume 2 Element Guns. Well, almost finished... I still have to add some screws and do some final tweaking. These are for a static display which is why there are wires running out the sides of the grips, which were hydro-dipped and sealed with about 8-10(!) sprayings of clear to add "depth". I'm fairly pleased with the metal finish- Alclad II paints for the bright metal, sealed with 2-part automotive clear before weathering. Gunmetal color is a mix of Vallejo's "Metalizer" range (basically an acrylic, more matte variant of Alclad that doesn't need sealing). The gunmetal is not sealed, but sprayed over the white metal and clear, which will let it weather and scratch naturally over time.

View attachment 763222

They look great! Definitely makes me want to start another set myself!

For anyone interested, I am starting manufacturing on the second run of my Vol 2 jackets, with an expected delivery of late November. This will probably be the last run.

Three panel.jpg

Thread here.

I've made the leg spats from Vol. 2 but I need to make the boot cover part and does anyone here on this forum know of any template or measurements for the boot covers/ good reference photos?

Does anyone know if the Infinity War helmet will be the exact same as Vol 1 and Vol 2? I'm considering a repaint on mine and it's too hard to see in the bootleg teaser footage. Obviously both the walkman and helmet were destroyed in Vol 2 and we already know the walkman isn't returning so I'm wondering if anyone got a good enough look during the panels this summer or has connections with knowledge.

Does anyone know if the Infinity War helmet will be the exact same as Vol 1 and Vol 2? I'm considering a repaint on mine and it's too hard to see in the bootleg teaser footage. Obviously both the walkman and helmet were destroyed in Vol 2 and we already know the walkman isn't returning so I'm wondering if anyone got a good enough look during the panels this summer or has connections with knowledge.

Based on the comic-con poster, it looks virtually the same. Granted, it might be a bit different in the film (and I don’t have the contacts to confirm or deny), but from the poster alone it doesn’t look like it’ll be much different, if at all.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any templates/patterns for the Vol. 2 spats and boot covers already scaled? I'm doing Star Lord for Halloween and for future cons and I need to go ahead and starting sewing the spats and I'm currently building an aluminum material helmet. Any other templates or patterns for the belt and holsters are welcome.

This may be a dumb question (but that hasn't ever stopped me before)... but wasn't Vol. 2 shot in 8K? Just curious as to why it seems there aren't many hi-res detail shots to use for reference like we had with Vol. 1. Can you pull frames from a 4K copy (I mean without ripping it completely and using Premiere or something along those lines)? Plus I would think someone could get there hands on at least a couple of the original super hi res frames? (And yes, I realize that the RAW files would probably be 30 or 40 megs each (or more), but cropping out a specific detail from them would be fantastic!)

I bring this up because I was going through my reference for Vol. 1 and saw that one shot of Peter and Gamora when they first meet on Xandar. If I remember correctly this was the first good shot we got of the back of his boots and bag, and it was pretty hi res.

Just rambling a bit I guess, but for us prop and costume nerds I would think the details we SHOULD be capable of getting now would have increased kind of exponentially. Am I way off base here or are these already out there and only "available" to insiders and the like?

I bring it up here because I just started working on my Star Lord again and as far as I know this was one of the first things shot with the new 8K cameras.

I have that trench and love it. I modified the front panel, shoulder piece, and made a forearm bracer but I agree, it's the best overseas Vol. 1 trench I've seen.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170929/e7802dab768906456120caa3da3df02d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170929/96193f9834b0863d0f73d11450334125.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170929/5c05cf0e2cae28fc6d9e3bd5350a0532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, how would one go about attaching the silver greebles to the leather paneling? I've 3D printed the vent and silver/yellow/reddish bits but don't want to completely jack up my coat by using the wrong adhesive.

This may be a dumb question (but that hasn't ever stopped me before)... but wasn't Vol. 2 shot in 8K? Just curious as to why it seems there aren't many hi-res detail shots to use for reference like we had with Vol. 1. Can you pull frames from a 4K copy (I mean without ripping it completely and using Premiere or something along those lines)? Plus I would think someone could get there hands on at least a couple of the original super hi res frames? (And yes, I realize that the RAW files would probably be 30 or 40 megs each (or more), but cropping out a specific detail from them would be fantastic!)

I bring this up because I was going through my reference for Vol. 1 and saw that one shot of Peter and Gamora when they first meet on Xandar. If I remember correctly this was the first good shot we got of the back of his boots and bag, and it was pretty hi res.

Just rambling a bit I guess, but for us prop and costume nerds I would think the details we SHOULD be capable of getting now would have increased kind of exponentially. Am I way off base here or are these already out there and only "available" to insiders and the like?

I bring it up here because I just started working on my Star Lord again and as far as I know this was one of the first things shot with the new 8K cameras.

so the film raw was shot in 8k but the digital intermediate was done in 2k as well as all the VFX is in 2k. so moot point of them filming with an 8k because at the end of the day it was rendered down to a poor 2k.
the UHD is an upscale so not true 4k

Does anyone have experience on using pvc sheets for the helmet? I found a template and that seems to be my best course of action at the moment.
I ended up using aluminum sheets and I'm halfway through the process of building the helmet. I need to find some way of fixing the plates together without bolts or wielding. Any thoughts? I was thinking using gasket glue and spray rubber and maybe a few bolts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back