Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

The soundtrack got me a little choked up the first time I watched the trailer. A friend asked me if I was worried about whether the movie etc. would live up to any expectations I had. I just said that no matter what at least John Williams will!

The soundtrack got me a little choked up the first time I watched the trailer. A friend asked me if I was worried about whether the movie etc. would live up to any expectations I had. I just said that no matter what at least John Williams will!
I think it's worth noting that no matter how many times we've watched the movies and heard Mr. Williams' musical scores, his music is still able to evoke an emotional response even when it's used with scenes for which it was not intended (i.e., the new trailer). Most classical music snobs would probably be dismissive, but I think Mr. Williams is a composer of modern classical music that transcends the movies.

I'm really looking forward to new John Williams music, but I'm not certain that's what we heard in the trailer.

It had the added vocals and percussion like many modern movie trailers. Between that and the piano I think it might have been JJ and and editor mixing it up.

I'm really looking forward to new John Williams music, but I'm not certain that's what we heard in the trailer.

It had the added vocals and percussion like many modern movie trailers. Between that and the piano I think it might have been JJ and and editor mixing it up.
It may have been modified a little, but it was mostly Williams' scores from the Original Trilogy movies. It's common practice to use whatever music might be suitable for trailers regardless of whether or not that music will be in the final edit of whichever movie they're promoting for the simple reason that the movie's actual soundtrack usually hasn't been completed when the trailer is released. With Star Wars that's more difficult because the music is so closely identified to the six current movies, which is why we heard Leia's Theme (for example) in the new trailer--it's recognizable and it created a mood for those scenes, but it may or may not actually be used in the movie.

Do we know why drew struzan didn't do the final poster?
Struzan retired in 2008. Rumors early on stated he would come out of retirement to do the poster for The Force Awakens, but I don't think that was ever officially confirmed.

Last edited:
Struzan retired in 2008. Rumors early on stated he would come out of retirement to do the poster for The Force Awakens, but I don't think that was ever officially confirmed.

Hmm, I could have sworn it was announced that he was going to do the official movie poster. I know that he did the Comic-Con exclusive TFA poster, so maybe...maybe that's all he was ever going to do.

Yep, I was surprised and a little letdown once the poster hit, I also was under the assumption he was on board for this.
Not sure why he would come out of retirement to do the Comic-Con and then not be involved in the official version.
I had really been looking forward to some Struzan magic one last time.
The poster isn't terrible, but it comes off more as a Struzan copy which is unfortunate.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned the way Kylo starts to swing his Saber at Finn. Very reminiscent of on older style we might have seen in a movie where a character is weilding a different kind of sword, like a broadsword.

I see plenty I like, and plenty I don't. Probably about 50/50.

Got my ticket for a 2D screening at midnight the night of Dec 16/17 here in Luxembourg.
We don't have IMAX, but luckily they had 2D screenings (though those stupid 3D screenings take up most of the timeslots!)

Any thoughts on the look Finn gives Poe after the pat on the arm?
It seems to me that Finn is unsure about Poe.
Possibly something to do with Finns and Kylos encounter?

Any thoughts on the look Finn gives Poe after the pat on the arm?
It seems to me that Finn is unsure about Poe.
Possibly something to do with Finns and Kylos encounter?

To me it looks like Poe gives him the good luck pat on the shoulder and Finn slowly nods, like hey we're off to battle and going to die.

Ohhh, so the whole "disk" would move. I never thought about what it would look like from the outside and hadforgotten the turret is "fixed" in a sense. My mind's eye had been limited to how it was portrayed from inside, not considering the studio model didn't really mesh with that. I really like this and it's probably the only way it could really work.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back