ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

matt i have a question, how are you applying the paint? is it simple rattle cans your buying. or are you using a automotive spray gun? same thing with the blue? I'm going to have to go back to the beginning and see what blue you used

matt i have a question, how are you applying the paint? is it simple rattle cans your buying. or are you using a automotive spray gun? same thing with the blue? I'm going to have to go back to the beginning and see what blue you used

Rattle cans all the way. I don't have a sprayer or an airbrush. The blue is the Duplicolor purple/blue combo and the white is just Rustoleum semi gloss white. I don't prime any of the metal parts either.

Wow, just wow! Great build. Attention to detail is outstanding. Building an R2 seams like the ultimate Star Wars project aside from trying to build an AT-AT if that's possible.lol.

I decided to experiment around with using Play Doh as a mask. I've seen this done before and figured I'd give it a try.

sVuge1zh.jpg

inTW0AXh.jpg

It seems to work pretty well. Much easier than trying to get tape in curved, recessed areas. I'm going to repaint this booster cover anyway. I'm not sure about the silver paint I used and the booster needs a little more sanding as well.

That's pretty cool. I haven't seen that technique before. When I painted mine, I used the aluminum paint from Testors Model Masters line and brushed it on. It dried smooth. I also use it for resin and wood pieces that get a knick. I paint the exposed areas to look like metal. :)

Looking great - I'm enjoying watching the wonderful progress on this. And the Play Doh masking technique sparks some ideas for a project I'm working on - thanks!

Dan

I'm almost ready to move on with the legs. I think I'm done with all the filling and sanding at least. Not looking forward to the center ankle, but at least it's small.

ZTx2CZzh.jpg

Matt you got some sexy legs there buddy! THE DROID! I’m talking about the droid! Lol ;)

After all the hard work you’ve done the center ankle will be a piece of cake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave the legs a wet sanding and a final finish coat yesterday. I should be getting the horseshoes painted soon as well, maybe this weekend. I decided to paint both sides of the legs at once this time instead of flipping them over like I was doing. Worked great but I didn't have anyplace outside to hang them while painting so my arms were like jelly afterwards, lol. They are not light.

b1cOW79h.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back