1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Really dig the coil pack terminal blank. I really like function to follow form and it looks like it belongs there.

You thought the coil packs were boring. I always thought that, since it appears you used reinforced clear hose around each base of each coil, the first time I saw them completed my immediately thought was it needed some sort of arc light inside the hose. I don't know how you would accomplish that but I'm sure your lighting gurus would know how. Wouldn't have to be high intensity. Just enough to draw your eye and add a little animation to the area, especially since there really isn't any lighting on the bulkhead.

That cooling fan with the discharge bell is really cool. I'm with you, no ring around the top. Just smooth.

Another fruitful weekend! Glad the weather was more cooperative. The creative juices flow better when you can think straight!

Man! That lack of humidity is sure paying off:D!! Love the treatment you've made with that fan housing; really looks good! Keep up the great work Sofa:cool

Really dig the coil pack terminal blank. I really like function to follow form and it looks like it belongs there.

You thought the coil packs were boring. I always thought that, since it appears you used reinforced clear hose around each base of each coil, the first time I saw them completed my immediately thought was it needed some sort of arc light inside the hose. I don't know how you would accomplish that but I'm sure your lighting gurus would know how. Wouldn't have to be high intensity. Just enough to draw your eye and add a little animation to the area, especially since there really isn't any lighting on the bulkhead.

That cooling fan with the discharge bell is really cool. I'm with you, no ring around the top. Just smooth.

Another fruitful weekend! Glad the weather was more cooperative. The creative juices flow better when you can think straight!
i couldn't agree more with Katuna those coils would pop with a little lighting inside the hoses, I know it would probably mean more work ( nothing to a man with your talents) but don't you think that the cockpit entrance, beautiful, very imaginative and cleverly designed could be missing a few warning lights ( red and green LEDs ) with all the many functioning parts would you like to know what part has failed and what is still working (just like the many lights in the cockpit)
only an observation

Hey K,

Thanks for the kind words! :) The entire cockpit entrance is based on the 1/6th scale Hot Toys version of the TFA MF cockpit. I knew I was going to create the entrance but I had NO IDEA how to decorate the panels. I love(d) the TFA version and couldn't wait to get started on creating all the greeblies. Over time I felt the overall design should differ slightly since this ship is 30 years before TFA.

When I originally designed the coils I added the hose with the specific purpose to add red or white LEDs. Daniel, the electronics goober, is taking lead and we're going to discuss a few options. My only concern is the inner diam of the hose. I hope we can slip something illuminated through the hose.

I still have a few more design elements to add to the fan cone. But the cone trim ring wont get to join the others. I also thought it was a bit much.

Man! That lack of humidity is sure paying off:D!! Love the treatment you've made with that fan housing; really looks good! Keep up the great work Sofa:cool

Hey J,

It's amazing what happens to ones creativity when the humidity is down and the weather perfect! :)

Thanks so much! The look is VERY similar to the cones located on the Nav Computer. I really wanted to bring familiar elements from other parts of the ship.

i couldn't agree more with Katuna those coils would pop with a little lighting inside the hoses, I know it would probably mean more work ( nothing to a man with your talents) but don't you think that the cockpit entrance, beautiful, very imaginative and cleverly designed could be missing a few warning lights ( red and green LEDs ) with all the many functioning parts would you like to know what part has failed and what is still working (just like the many lights in the cockpit)
only an observation

Hey B,

As I mentioned, the coils were originally designed to have some sort of illumination within the hoses. I'm really hoping it looks as good I'm imagining! Fingers crossed.

I agree with you 100%! There DEF needs to be other points of illumination across the entrance panels. One area of interest is the larger silver rectangular panel on Han's side. There are 3 coils with red wire attached to a circuit board that I might remove and add some LEDs. I also think a few switches might work as well. I just have to figure out the perfect balance.

- - - Updated - - -

There are little Arduino arcing effects that could probably work with a string of LEDs inside the clear tube.

Hey K,

Way ahead of ya! ;) I think Daniel is going to do something special

I personally think they look better without lighting. You don't want too much distraction to break up the feel of the set

Hey D,

The joy of the LEDs being inside the hoses is if they dont turn out we simply dont wire them or remove them from the hoses all together. But we need some sort of illumination. Working off what Bentrim09 mentioned, maybe a smaller panel underneath the main coil pack with 3 panel lights? There could be one red flashing light where the coil is missing? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Too early? Of course not. Love your newly hatched chick look :)

I'm confused... ;)

Hey D,

The joy of the LEDs being inside the hoses is if they dont turn out we simply dont wire them or remove them from the hoses all together. But we need some sort of illumination. Working off what Bentrim09 mentioned, maybe a smaller panel underneath the main coil pack with 3 panel lights? There could be one red flashing light where the coil is missing? :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused... ;)

Possibly refering to your Avatar Image Sofa! :D

Roughneckone:cool

Nope, guilty of multi-tasking and posting my response to the wrong thread :(

SK, you know I consider you a demigod and wish to be you when I grow up ;)

Nope, guilty of multi-tasking and posting my response to the wrong thread :(

SK, you know I consider you a demigod and wish to be you when I grow up ;)

We're all guilty of the fouls and errors of multitasking.

Thanks so much for the kind words but I would try setting the bar a wee bit higher ;)

As soon as I saw the new coil packs in place I instantly thought it needs lighting in there, as other before me mentioned. My added 2 cents on this might be rather than inside the hose use some sort of neon light to back illuminate the face plate give the coils more of a floating look? or again have flashing / chasing lights don't need to be big or bright or anything.

loosebruce

As soon as I saw the new coil packs in place I instantly thought it needs lighting in there, as other before me mentioned. My added 2 cents on this might be rather than inside the hose use some sort of neon light to back illuminate the face plate give the coils more of a floating look? or again have flashing / chasing lights don't need to be big or bright or anything.

loosebruce

This is why I love you guys/gals! :) That's a great idea! I wasn't sure how to light the basic coil housing/tub but your idea makes a lot of sense. Daniel and I are going to try several different variations to see what looks best.

Man......I need to comment more and lurk less. I really dig watching this come together. You really have your heart into it and it shows.

Lets talk about your 3 point harnesses. I think its actually 5 point harnesses as they look exactly like mine. If you are wearing it like a belt buckle there should be a little tab behind the buckle. When you push this tab forward, it releases the shoulder straps but keeps the other three connected to the 'buckle'. Now in the movies they prolly didnt bother with the shoulder harness part.......but the second I saw the pic I was all like.......'Thats my Millenium Falcon!!!!!!! (GIV). And I also have Artoos's holo emitters in the cockpit (they are air ducts also known as Weemacs.

Man......I need to comment more and lurk less. I really dig watching this come together. You really have your heart into it and it shows.

Lets talk about your 3 point harnesses. I think its actually 5 point harnesses as they look exactly like mine. If you are wearing it like a belt buckle there should be a little tab behind the buckle. When you push this tab forward, it releases the shoulder straps but keeps the other three connected to the 'buckle'. Now in the movies they prolly didnt bother with the shoulder harness part.......but the second I saw the pic I was all like.......'Thats my Millenium Falcon!!!!!!! (GIV). And I also have Artoos's holo emitters in the cockpit (they are air ducts also known as Weemacs.

Hi L,

Thanks so much! There are times when I'm really focused and other times I just want to finish this "certain" task and move on.

Funny thing, I haven't even looked at the harness since it arrived. Shame on me. The movies version(s) were lap only. The only time we saw them used (if memory serves) was when Ben, Luke and 3PO sat on the couch. I'm hoping we can take a mold of the buckle itself and then attach to the Nav Chairs - another task I need to finish up... ;)

Ahhh, that makes sense now...TFA cockpit with a twist, nice!

Hi K,

Thanks! This is actually what I would imagine the original ESB cockpit might look like 30 years ago using the the same techniques/approach the original designers might take (minus my using the laser cutter :) ) and adding a few of my own ideas / artist license. I'm now simply using the TFA version as the foundation. Each cockpit entrance panel will have some sort of redesign.

There is a behind the scene shot of Hamill and Ford just outside of the original ANH cockpit and there is a large control panel that is mounted to the actual corridor on Chewie's side - not the back wall. I'm considering adding that element as well!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back