Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

OK I'll give you a clue :)

I couldn't get the right part, which I'm lead to believe was shaped pasta. I made a part in clay (the dark green part), made a mould (the blue part) & then made 8 of them in urethane, they're parts of Bob.

I remember those all over the hands etc... :) Can't remember them on the head and body but I don't have any good images to look for them either.

I remember those all over the hands etc... :) Can't remember them on the head and body but I don't have any good images to look for them either.

Thats close enough for me :)
492.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words guy's :)

Those were pasta?

I believe so :confused I cant remember what I read or where I read it but something lead me to believe these were pasta. I spent some time searching the net for shaped pasta & for all my efforts I found one small image (that I couldnt save) that seemed to be exactly the same size & shape but it didn't give a name. I looked in a few shops for pasta this shape but with no luck, so just went ahead & made my own.
I've also got a feeling that the lines & dashes on each of the pauldrons are pasta tubes. There are 4 lines & a dash on the left pauldron & 3 lines & a dash on the right one.

Leigh,

This is a great project, your work is outstanding! I found this today and thought it was funny...

"We pulled this thing [the original Alien suit] out of a crate, and it was unbelievable to see how it had been constructed. It had black, hand-painted macaroni pieces glued all over it to give it texture, with black-painted bottle caps at the waist. And the feet were just black Converse tennis shoes, covered with a slip-latex skin! When we got this thing out, put it on a mannequin, and saw it in broad daylight, it was amazing to see what Ridley Scott had gotten away with just by using slime and careful lighting and the right camera angles."
Howard Berger, The Winston Effect, 2006.

This is the most effing amazing thing I've seen in a looooooong time! Sure as hell beats any commercially available Giger Alien head replicas. The base is also outstanding and perfectly compliments the piece. I can't wait to see the finished piece! I bow to you, master!

-AL

Leigh,

This is a great project, your work is outstanding! I found this today and thought it was funny...

"We pulled this thing [the original Alien suit] out of a crate, and it was unbelievable to see how it had been constructed. It had black, hand-painted macaroni pieces glued all over it to give it texture, with black-painted bottle caps at the waist. And the feet were just black Converse tennis shoes, covered with a slip-latex skin! When we got this thing out, put it on a mannequin, and saw it in broad daylight, it was amazing to see what Ridley Scott had gotten away with just by using slime and careful lighting and the right camera angles."
Howard Berger, The Winston Effect, 2006.

Thank you :) Yep I have read that before & its probably where I got the pasta idea from :)

This is the most effing amazing thing I've seen in a looooooong time! Sure as hell beats any commercially available Giger Alien head replicas. The base is also outstanding and perfectly compliments the piece. I can't wait to see the finished piece! I bow to you, master!

-AL

That is some amazing work! I love the first Alien.

Thank you :)

Time for a little update :D

For some time I havent been 100% happy with the ribbed throat area, both the shape & the finish.
I spent a long time looking at it & playing with photoshop trying different things out to improve the shape but I was a little reluctant to start chopping him up again. After alot more thought & remembering some of the Awesome replies I've had from members here regarding major modifications etc, I decided to get on with it:
493.jpg

I decided I wasnt happy with the way I originally did it with the extractor hose & I thought I'd try doing it another way:
494.jpg

So I started building up a hard board frame & then glued thin card to it to form the basic shape:
495.jpg

I then covered that in Polyester filler & then smoothed it off:
496.jpg

Rather than just gluing cut peices wire on to it I decided to insert them into drilled holes & then glue them. I then filled out the shape & the gaps with a water based air dry clay:
498.jpg

499.jpg

501.jpg

After all that I was happy with the new shape of the throat but having dropped its height it made the whole neck look too chunky, as if Bob was a body building Alien :)
I realised I needed to drop the height of the neck :D
504.jpg

So I cut the top of the neck off, then removed a measured amount & glued it back on again:
505.jpg

I removed 3/4" at the front & 1/4" at the rear of the neck & it now sits just right to me :)

Heres how he looks now:
507.jpg

508.jpg

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING WORK!!!!! This has been one of the BEST threads on the RPF in a long time!!

I've loved seeing this progress into the work of art it is!

-B89! :D

Thanks for the kind words guy's :)

Yeh it is a little scary chopping him up at this stage :D but I'm happy with the results :)
I feel the new neck shape works better with the leaning forward pose than how it was before.
I used the Lambert/Alien scene for inspiration, as its the only quality ref pic of the Alien in this leaning forward pose.

Heres a couple of comparison pics:

Before:
482.jpg

After:
506.jpg

And that Lambert scene:
alien 32.jpg

Last edited:
This is just AMAZINGLY SICK!!! I'm still in awe how you can take what we remember seeing on screen and give it such clear details that can hold up to the closest of scrutiny. And the overall design and flow of the bust down to the details on the base ... by far the best interpretation I've seen.

Very Well Done :love

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back