Painting Roy's steel shroud

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have Roy's MPP steel shroud and I'm trying to copy this photo. Is the paint wrinkle or hammered, or just plain old paint. I know the wrinkle will wear down to look like standard paint after a while. Luckily I have all three, but I'm just trying to match this photo.

Thanks in advance
Kevin

ESB_Darth_Vader_Hero_Lightsaber_2.jpg

I don't think the paint in that photo has any additional texture. Just paint on the steel shroud. That said, I used high temp "wrinkle paint" on mine and I like the finish.

My shroud doesn't slide on all the way though. It hits the two screws and stops a little short. How does yours fit?

I’ve been debating on this forever... my shroud from has great little rust flecks, and I don’t know how to paint it and not cover them.

I don't think the paint in that photo has any additional texture. Just paint on the steel shroud. That said, I used high temp "wrinkle paint" on mine and I like the finish.

My shroud doesn't slide on all the way though. It hits the two screws and stops a little short. How does yours fit?
Mine goes all the way down to the screws and stops at the inside crease.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve been debating on this forever... my shroud from has great little rust flecks, and I don’t know how to paint it and not cover them.
If you paint over the rust, it will come through the finish eventually. If you paint and then leave outside, it will come through faster.

- - - Updated - - -

If you paint over the rust, it will come through the finish eventually. If you paint and then leave outside, it will come through faster.

- - - Updated - - -

I cleaned off my rust before I shot primmer

I have hammered finish, unused as of yet. I'd like a good wrinkle paint. Do you have any recommendations? My shrouds have really nice rust on them, & I'd like to get them finished here soon.

I have hammered finish, unused as of yet. I'd like a good wrinkle paint. Do you have any recommendations? My shrouds have really nice rust on them, & I'd like to get them finished here soon.
That's what this thread is all about. Trying to figure out what finish the photo is. I was hoping someone that has a real one would chime in.

I have one of Roy's shrouds on my vintage MPP and still haven't painted it. Rust is coming on now.
I like the wrinkled look but the images of the screen used prop have me thinking I'll ultimately go with a flat black and call it done. To my eye, that's what was used. Just don't see wrinkles ever having been there.

It'd be cool to see pics of results here.

From what I understand, Chaïm lent his to Roy so it could be matched up perfectly. I was hoping we can find the answers to the finish. I do know wrinkle paint smooths itself out over time with use, so I won't be surprised that is what has been used. Some parts look like paint, others look hammered and the inside looks to be wrinkle .

From what I understand, Chaïm lent his to Roy so it could be matched up perfectly. I was hoping we can find the answers to the finish. I do know wrinkle paint smooths itself out over time with use, so I won't be surprised that is what has been used. Some parts look like paint, others look hammered and the inside looks to be wrinkle .

Chaim's MPP was the base of my first run of aluminum shrouds. For the steel shrouds I made modifications based on those images and advice from various members. The thickness of the emitter wall for example became much thinner. But the biggest change is the material itself.
I don't think that wrinkle paint will smooth out over time! Many vintage flashes have it and even after many decades of use they still have the wrinkle texture. And the shroud is not a part that would have been touched a lot at all. And in its time as lightsaber it has seen a lot of action but not the kind that would smooth it, only chip it.
Somehow this shroud is special. Perhaps an early MPP run in cast iron, with normal black paint. Because of the weight, they probably switched to aluminum quickly. So far I've never heard of anybody who's seen a vintage steel version, which is very strange. Maybe my theory is completely wrong though.
So, I would use normal black (satin) paint, without primer if you want to simulate the chipping.

Silicone masking fluid will allow you to paint on what you want masked.

Also, anyone that has a shroud that doesn't fit, you can use sandpaper on the inside of the shroud to remove a little bit of the steel. It might take a while but it will work.

Also, anyone that has a shroud that doesn't fit, you can use sandpaper on the inside of the shroud to remove a little bit of the steel. It might take a while but it will work.
My shroud fits on both my V1 parks and Romans just fine. It also fits my king sol (that I'm using as a paint holder )
IMG_4467.JPGIMG_4466.JPG
I did just shoot a layer of wrinkle, but this is regular paint here.

Last edited:
I'm going full mod on my MPP. Just ordered some parts from Roy. Bought the aluminum dish for the bulb release . and t track. Also ordered a bulb holder socket off ebay . Hope it fits.

Yeah, when you have excess material... its a godsend and you're able to fit it through sanding and stuff.

I always wondered if they used the same foundry they used for the pewter/aluminum V2 to cast a replacement shroud for a broken MPP top..

And if you can’t find any, mustard works pretty good too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back