Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Something I painfully noticed the other day while sitting through Thor Ragnarok, TLJ and Thor Ragnarok are pretty much the same movie. Its mind blowing.

The biggest difference is that Ragnarok actually made me like the way the character of Thor was handled, who's earlier two movies were some of the weaker in the MCU. Whilst TLJ made me hate the treatment of Luke, whose previous movies were great.

So after watching it again and sitting,thinking I can point to one other strange thing that was jarring:

Luke,he was NOT Luke and it reared it's head in one scene-when he was reunited with R2-D2 for a split second he sounded like the old Luke then bam! He went back to that weird voice that sounded like Hamill was using his voice acting skills for Batman or something.
The R2-D2 moment, as well as the dialogue after the moment when Chewie kicked in the door to his hut.

Something I painfully noticed the other day while sitting through Thor Ragnarok, TLJ and Thor Ragnarok are pretty much the same movie. Its mind blowing.
All the characters use bathos for humour. It means that there is very little character. We've now seen rocket try to mess with hux from his x-wing and drax helped jyn erso infiltrate the imperial base in the Turks and Caicos

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The Last Jedi Blu Ray.jpg

The fact that Mark Hamill still makes his disagreements with Johnson vocal (even in a joking way) it's pretty obvious that he feels that Luke's arc was handled wrong.

I applaud him for not hiding his feelings on the matter. He knows the character better than anyone else and has lived with him for over 40 years. You'd think that Johnson would have really taken that into consideration when coming up with the story.

I hope JJ Abrams retconns Luke's story in 9 just to spite Rian. It seems that Johnson did it to him so why not return the favor? Make as many crappy sequels as you want but don't ruin the legacy of the OT characters.

Last edited:
This thread is mostly going over my head, but I just wanted to say that my friend (who like the theatrical cut more than I did) took my grievances and did his own edit of the movie which I just watched last night, and it tipped the scale back towards enjoyment. Most of the things that were removed were the misplaced comedy (not ALL of the comedy), the porgs beyond just being set dressing on Ach-to, and the Canto Bight sequence (which is the roughest part of the edit admittedly).

It made me see the merit of the strong parts of the film and I was happier for having watched it and enjoyed the moments that are pure Star Wars without the "wtf" moments that I had felt in the original run.

I hope JJ Abrams retconns Luke's story in 9 just to spite Rian. It seems that Johnson did it to him so why not return the favor? Make as many crappy sequels as you want but don't ruin the legacy of the OT characters.
I honestly hope not. As disappointed I was with TLJ I don't want this to be a tug-of-war between egos and "my story! no, it's mine! no it's mine" kinda thing. I do think that Rian had a contrarian approach but the solution is not to be contrarian to that, it's JJ's job now to make the most out of it. And this is one of the reasons why I'm not really looking forward to Ep9. Even if it's stellar, it'll be built on something that I consider flawed in terms of motivations and consequences.

This thread is mostly going over my head, but I just wanted to say that my friend (who like the theatrical cut more than I did) took my grievances and did his own edit of the movie which I just watched last night, and it tipped the scale back towards enjoyment. Most of the things that were removed were the misplaced comedy (not ALL of the comedy), the porgs beyond just being set dressing on Ach-to, and the Canto Bight sequence (which is the roughest part of the edit admittedly).

It made me see the merit of the strong parts of the film and I was happier for having watched it and enjoyed the moments that are pure Star Wars without the "wtf" moments that I had felt in the original run.
That was my first thought leaving the theatre. That a fan-edit could save the movie. Problem I have is that while most of the concepts I still think are pretty cool the execution, motivations and storytelling are impaired. Don't get me wrong it certainly would improve the film immensely if certain bits were edited out, but I still don't think it would make it a good one. I would love to see your friend's fan-edit though.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back