Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
It just isn't my job to put together a tight, cohesive story. You do that in the writers room and I pay my money to see it. I shouldn't have to leave a theater picking out the parts that worked from the parts that didn't just to have a pleasant viewing experience. It is either well-crafted or it isn't. Again, and I can't reiterate this enough... it is not about individual plot points or having my expectations subverted. Everyone loves a good twist (read: expectations subverted), but it has to be done well in order to enjoy it. This movie had ABSOLUTELY AMAZING elements in it. Like someone else said, someone will make a crazy-good fan edit of this film. But the way it stands right now it is just a sloppy film with a lot of forced humor and bad writing.

Luke dying didn't subtract from the film. Leia using the force did not subtract from the film. Humor does not subtract from the film. Having Snoke killed abruptly does not subtract from the film. Surprise twists don't subtract from the film. Having the good guys appear to be ineffective does not subtract from the film. BUT if you want to do all of those things you have to make it work. You can't just toss it in there and think that makes for an interesting story. Things should tie together. It should feel like one solid movie from front to back. People should have motivations and consequences. I am a firm believer that in films EVERYTHING that happens should have an impact. EVERYTHING should play into other parts of the story. This movie simply didn't have that.

Eloquently spoken, and I couldn't agree more.

JJ and Kasdan both have said one of the reasons they kept Luke out of the action in TFA was because every time he showed up in their story he eclipsed the new characters and made them irrelevant. Rian was tasked to feature Luke without taking the focus of Rey, Kylo, first and foremost and then the supporting characters like Poe and Fin. If Luke is a-ok just chilling on Ach-to reading some books and Rey shows up and asks him to rejoin the fight you have two narrative choices. He says "Sure, let's go waste some F.O. fools!" or "**** off". I think he did an excellent job building Luke's pathos, I FELT for the man. The writing and the acting sold it. Luke contemplated killing his nephew, Luke failed Ben and his sister. He was DEVASTATED. And his back and forth with Rey informed that but also you could see she was slowly chipping away at him. But she could never turn him back to the fight and she leaves. Only Yoda could get Luke's head back on straight and that's what he did.

Right, theres no good way Luke could come back to the Resistance and NOT end the story. He fights Kylo and has to win because HE'S LUKE, and the story is over. Or he fights Kylo and loses, in which case people would complain about the same thing, "Luke should have won". What they did allowed Luke to"come back" but not have to kill Kylo OR lose to him.

As I see it, there was no single good way to kill off Luke and make everyone happy. Rian Johnson took a risk that entertained and surprised me with Luke's journey. I rather liked it

I'm an old school fan who saw SW when it was released in 1977. I was just a young kid of 4 and idolized Luke at the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And here is what Rian said about the broom boy at the end. I found that coda so moving, so filled with hope and promise, and a validation of Luke's legacy.

"To me, it shows that the act Luke Skywalker did, of deciding to take on this mantle of ‘the legend,’ after he had decided the galaxy was better off with, had farther reaching consequences than saving 20 people in a cave."

And here is what Rian said about the broom boy at the end. I found that coda so moving, so filled with hope and promise, and a validation of Luke's legacy.
[/I]

I too liked broom boy, a nice storytelling moment. Minor criticism is that felt very Disney instead of SW. I half expected him to jump on the broom and ride with some magic stars in his exhaust trail....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JJ and Kasdan both have said one of the reasons they kept Luke out of the action in TFA was because every time he showed up in their story he eclipsed the new characters and made them irrelevant.

Then maybe he should have written better "new" characters...

Rian was tasked to feature Luke without taking the focus of Rey, Kylo,

All the promotions, advertisement, trailers and the end of TFA were about Lukes return...thats why alot of us OT fans went see it. take away the focus??

,,,first and foremost and then the supporting characters like Poe and Fin.

What would have been the problem with creating them as well as Han and Chewy?... or 3PO and R2

If Luke is a-ok just chilling on Ach-to reading some books and Rey shows up and asks him to rejoin the fight you have two narrative choices. He says "Sure, let's go waste some F.O. fools!" or "**** off".

Or... "I have been here.. waiting for another to come and join me in resurrecting good.... as evil is now again ruling the galaxy"... like Yoda on Degobah

I think he did an excellent job building Luke's pathos, I FELT for the man.

I didnt ...I thought.."your Luke,,,what the hell happend to you?"

Luke failed Ben and his sister

Obiwan thought the same thing with Anakin....that didnt stop him....

He was DEVASTATED. And his back and forth with Rey informed that but also you could see she was slowly chipping away at him. But she could never turn him back to the fight and she leaves. Only Yoda could get Luke's head back on straight and that's what he did.

Kind of like Obiwan convincing Yoda to train Luke... was waiting for him to say "your too old"

And I think thats the problem alot of us have with Lukes story....

I respect your position..respect your opinion on the "story".. but I formally disagree

- - - Updated - - -

As I see it, there was no single good way to kill of Luke and make everyone happy. Rian Johnson took a risk that entertained and surprised me with Luke's journey. I rather liked it

Obiwan had a better death in ANH...

....although we still dont know if Luke is dead.....

This was just Rian's nice way of saying he wanted to get Luke out of the picture.

That and ole george had the best intentions of showing Anakins fall to the dark side too. That didn't work out very well either...

What we're left with is...

Han, broken shell of his form self. Character arc of the OT undone. Killed.
Luke, broken shell of himself, brought to the edge of murder (of his nephew no less), quits on the galaxy...killed.
Leia...well, failed marriage, and before they could ruin the character, died in real life.

I'll never believe there wasn't a way to write it so Luke wasn't a former shell of himself who wanted to die.

You'd have thought that after she died that maybe, you tweak TLJ a bit so she dies, work in the scenes a bit differently and luke lives so there's a presence in IX....but we'll just wipe them out all at once.

Hell, he wrote it into the damn dialog.

"Do whatever you have to do to leave the past in the past. KILL IT if you have to.".

Kylo to Rey, Rian to the fans.

Last edited:
Kilo and Rey are brother and sister. like Luke and Leia... why think otherwise? Because Kilo said so.. trying to beat Rey down to make an "I am your only supporter" line?

Its still a story of the Skywalker bloodline (I know most wont accept)...even if its Disney... just this time is brother against sister..same as if Luke was Dark and Leia was Light.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back