TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

A couple of posts ago, Roy's wannawanga.com is pretty close to one stop shop if you want parts for a static build. T-Tracks, clamp covers, clamp cards.... Depending on which build you want (TFA, ANH, ESB).

Another vote for Roy. Almost everything you need. "Almost" because he's still working on completing a TFA package if that's the version you're after, as I am.

Another vote for Roy. Almost everything you need. "Almost" because he's still working on completing a TFA package if that's the version you're after, as I am.

The parts are all on his site. I ordered the ESB set originally, and asked for the TFA card, and rivets. Changes in the card since then though, I have the current one from Slothfurnance too. New clap and bottom covers are on their way. Rivets on the Kolbold clamp are the large 3mm ESB size, need to pick to pick up the 2mm ones...

The parts are all on his site. I ordered the ESB set originally, and asked for the TFA card, and rivets. Changes in the card since then though, I have the current one from Slothfurnance too. New clap and bottom covers are on their way. Rivets on the Kolbold clamp are the large 3mm ESB size, need to pick to pick up the 2mm ones...

He only has the first generation TFA card on his site, with thin traces going off the bottom right (only possibly seen on the flying CGI saber—real sabers in movie had thin left traces), and it's not as translucent as the screen-used card. As I understand it, he's working on a new one, but it's not on his site yet. He also doesn't have an option to receive hex-head screws/nuts for the TFA grips, as the Maz scene seems to show (in my opinion) and which are also being included in the repros by the propshop. Lastly, he's out of Kobold clips at the moment.

So I have an unmodified Graflex that I want to convert. Who's parts are the most accurate and where do I go to get them? The new propshop stuff is not for me as this is about the price of screen used items let alone the whole leave it out of sunlight its a vampire and will vaporize thing lol. It is cool that you can get the props directly from the original makers though. I used to collect screen used stuff and back in the day before things went crazy it was always fun to call and talk to the fx guys etc I made some good friends back in the day that way.

I agree with everyone else. All of the parts on my TFA are from Roy except the clamp card, which is by Slothfurnace. I've had Kobold clips from other shops, but I feel his are the most accurate. So are his grips. I'm just waiting on my clamp & bottom cover from him now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note, the ESB rivets are 4mm and the TFA are 3mm. The Kobold clip comes set up for 3mm.

You are probably right. The endcap looks slightly "wrinkly" a few frames later, which initially made me think that they didn't cover it up after all, but that might be a result of image compression.

View attachment 620813

First, I love all the investigative work everyone is doing here. Been following this thread and it reminds me of the days when we were trying to figure out what the emitter on Obi's ANH saber actually was... One observation lead to another member going to check parts from the engine...and EUREKA! :)

So, I've looked at this shot over and over...and I don't think it's tape or a plate. IMHO, that looks like the end has been filled with something and painted...like Bondo. Take another look. It doesn't look smooth, but it also doesn't look wrinkly like foil tape would if it were we're covering a real stamped bottom. It looks a bit sloppy in fact.

See how that right top edge looks smooth to the edge but just to the left almost like it's chipped away?

Wondered what you thought of that possibility?

Last edited:

we have decided the rivets on the kobold in TFA are smaller then the ESB ones? i missed this?

Small rivets:

gjF9lv3.jpg

vVV23JI.png

Last edited:
we have decided the rivets on the kobold in TFA are smaller then the ESB ones? i missed this?

Yes, I noticed this right away; in ESB the rivets on the Kobold clip touch each other, but in TFA they don't. 3mm makes more sense, because the holes in the clip are 3mm as well. Besides, the rivets on the grips (if they're rivets) are the same size.

Roy

Yes, I noticed this right away; in ESB the rivets on the Kobold clip touch each other, but in TFA they don't. 3mm makes more sense, because the holes in the clip are 3mm as well. Besides, the rivets on the grips (if they're rivets) are the same size.

Roy

that was going to be my next question, after I read about the kobold rivets being smaller I kept looking at the maz
saber and those grip rivets look to be the same exact size

not only does this prove to me the rivets on the kobold are smaller then ESB

but this also proves to me that those are rivets in the T tracks.

that was going to be my next question, after I read about the kobold rivets being smaller I kept looking at the maz
saber and those grip rivets look to be the same exact size

not only does this prove to me the rivets on the kobold are smaller then ESB

but this also proves to me that those are rivets in the T tracks.

Or the hex-head screws in the grips could just have a similar head size... :thumbsup

Hello everybody. I am new here and have a question regarding TFA lightsaber. I am thinking about converting my Icons Skywalker lightsaber and adding the Kobold D ring, circuit board and grips but before I attempt to strip it, I would like to know if anyone here knows if they are easy to take apart in the same way a Graflex is ( i.e does the main body have 2 parts to it like a Graflex )

Hey guys!
I'm currently working on a revised kobold clip for the TFA saber. This is what I got so far.
My plan was to contact CNC-companies in China to get a quote for what it would cost to manufacture this thing.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-07 um 14.18.03.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-06-07 um 14.18.39.png

The dimensions of my clip are 5 x 32 x 14 mm. It's a lot flatter than current clips, if I'm correct.
Does anyone know the diameter of the D-ring? It would be incredibly helpful to have some measurements, so I can estimate the diameter of the holes.

Hello everybody. I am new here and have a question regarding TFA lightsaber. I am thinking about converting my Icons Skywalker lightsaber and adding the Kobold D ring, circuit board and grips but before I attempt to strip it, I would like to know if anyone here knows if they are easy to take apart in the same way a Graflex is ( i.e does the main body have 2 parts to it like a Graflex )

No, the main body on an Icons saber is one single tube

Thanks for that as I didn't want to attempt to convert my Icons saber if i was going to end up ruining it. Where would the best place to get a reproduction Graflex that is reasonably priced?

Actually, someone here has already successfully attempted that conversion, which turned out fairly well as I recall.

Oh ok thanks. Although I would like to attempt this project, I am not a very experienced model maker with limited tools so any tutorials would be a great help

I have just had a quick once over my Icons Skywalker saber and I have a couple of questions. Does anyone here know if the grips are just stuck on or the body drilled and grips pegged in. Secondly, as the main body is one piece, is the only way in to access the insides by taking the bunny ears etc off. Finally, where can I locate a new clamp lever because the thread on the Icons version seems too short to allow the TFA circuit board to be added.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back