Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

Re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel)

What??? :confused

I just think it's silly that we had to resort to a deleted scene featuring a cgi alien to explain how this alien is different instead of using footage from the actual finished version of the film that still remains an awful mess. Just to be clear, you're not silly. This film is.

I've read in recent interviews that the 'deacon' alien will not play a part in the sequel, nor will the familiar xenomorphs for that matter and it sounds like he kind of regrets having put that their in the end

"..the beast is already done and cooked..."

Last edited by a moderator:

I just think it's silly that we had to resort to a deleted scene featuring a cgi alien to explain how this alien is different instead of using footage from the actual finished version of the film that still remains an awful mess. Just to be clear, you're not silly. This film is.

Actually we're both silly :p

It is definitely a real mess

I've read in recent interviews that the 'deacon' alien will not play a part in the sequel, nor will the familiar xenomorphs for that matter and it sounds like he kind of regrets having put that their in the end

"..tthe beast is already done and cooked..."

I wish we could just treat this movie the way Alien: Isolation did. Just ignore it and more on. I certainly don't want the same guy who, upon wanting to expand on the Space Jockey origin said "I want it to be a human that looks like a mix between the Statue of Liberty, Elvis Presley and have a lot less Giger" continuing to work on this series.

I guess this is really why the Engineers decided they wanted to kill us all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08tGjXNHO4

Posted this in the Interstellar thread but it seems a better fit here (given the Iceland landscape)
Now if only they can incorporate some of the ideas shown here into the sixteenth odd draft of the script.

What? The only redeeming thing to save a sequel to Prometheus would be an Alien and they are leaving it out.

Thanks but I'll pass. It took all I could take to sit through the first one. I've enjoyed every film (including the AVP films)
but, for me, Prometheus was such a let down. Unless he has a way of wowing me with the preview, I'm skipping the
second one.

What? The only redeeming thing to save a sequel to Prometheus would be an Alien and they are leaving it out.

Honestly, I think Prometheus was good without the Xenomorph. I mean, we've already gotten an over-saturation of the Xenomorphs. To me, Prometheus was a breath of fresh air because it's a film set in the Alien universe, and you don't have to worry about the freakin' Xenomorph. For me, it also opens the door of other possible stories that take place in the same universe with people who don't have to deal with the Xenomorphs. Not everything in the Alien universe has to deal with the Xenomorphs, or even the Engineers', involvement. If you don't want to watch it, that's fine. No one is going to judge you for that.

Sounds great!!! I too thought that Prometheus could have done without the Xenomorph at the end. I loved the whole movie but cringed at that part.

Ben

The alien at the end in my opinion was a poor attempt to give the fans something they wanted. Like a last minute, "Here, now shut up." kind of treatment. Prometheus would have been fine without the alien, however there was just so much unexplained. The basis of the story and where I think they were trying to go was great and I get it. The visuals were awesome, just a bit too many holes. Perhaps this time they will learn that not everything has to be a mystery to be scary. At least with a mystery movie there is usually a conclusion or resolution of some type.

The alien at the end in my opinion was a poor attempt to give the fans something they wanted. Like a last minute, "Here, now shut up." kind of treatment. Prometheus would have been fine without the alien, however there was just so much unexplained. The basis of the story and where I think they were trying to go was great and I get it. The visuals were awesome, just a bit too many holes. Perhaps this time they will learn that not everything has to be a mystery to be scary. At least with a mystery movie there is usually a conclusion or resolution of some type.

What kind of holes or unexplained are you talking about?

I liked the movie "liked" but nothing got answered, plot holes galore. awesome special effects BUT I thought it was suppose to be a prequel to ALIEN. riddley scott said "no one asked the really interesting question.....where did the space jockey come from?" well I did the very first time I watched alien and I was 8?. and now were waiting for a sequel to a prequel that wasn't a prequel but a prequel to a sequel AND then a pre-sequel that should finally end up being a true prequel to alien. there gonna drag this dead alien carcuss until its acid blood burns thru the floor of the bank

Okay, I guess its time to break out the video (and it happens to define what a "plot hole" is):

1:30 - Damon Lindelof isn't a bad writer, but a pretentious writer who repeatedly explains in the commentary that he purposefully left questions unanswered for the sake of mystery. This can be good writing to an extent, but pick 1 or 2 points to let the audience decide for themselves, not 20. When you start creating too many mysteries your basic story line starts to fall apart. Also, the original Spaights script was brilliant! Give it a read if you can find it. Almost all of the elements that made it to the final cut of the movie that I enjoyed originated with Spaights. Ultimately though, Ridley is to blame for the final cut of Prometheus. It's true, he did have a specific vision, one that did not include xenomorphs. This in direct opposition to what most fans were craving and Lindelof obliged. Spaights wrote a script for the fans, Lindelof rewrote it for Ridley.

1:38 - As for plot holes, there are many. Here is a simple one: Fifield and Millburn getting lost. This directly contradicts the established storyline logic when Fifield released the "pups" into the cave creating a 3D map of the tunnel system. With the tech they had on their person, along with common sense, there is just no way they should have gotten lost. This is a very simple "gap or inconsistency in the storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot". It also "constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot". It also is a prime example of "unlikely behavior or actions of characters, and illogical events happening for no apparent reason it's also an event that contradicts earlier events in the storyline". - This all from the wikipedia that your video sites as the true definition of a "plot hole". A "plot hole" is not only when storyline logic contradicts itself, but when it's inconsistent, or blatantly omits relevant information previously established. This movie was riddled with illogical behavior and actions from the story's characters.

3:50 - The question shouldn't be why didn't anyone care Weyland was alive on the ship. But more, why was it kept a secret? Why the ruse of the whole hologram scene of Weyland near the beginning of the movie trying to convince everyone he was dead. Secret conversations between David and Weyland were written strictly for us as the viewing audience and served no other purpose. None of this was necessary. It should have been known from the start that Weyland was aboard the ship, because there was no reason to hide him. Unless it was for tax evasion purposes? Hmmm
39.gif
Just poor writing and a weak plot device. Vicker's quarters should have just been Weyland's quarters. Yeah, he has a medical pod configured specifically for him in his room. Makes perfect sense. Again, this is Lindelof building mystery where there doesn't need to be any.

Another thing about the video above. They are constantly referencing viral videos and the "fake Weyland" website. Most audience viewers have never visited this site or watched the supplemental material. A film needs to be a complete story and stand on it's own as a whole without having to reference a backstory website to try and figure out why the characters are behaving in the odd ways that they are. Additional material relating to the movie is a great way to dig deeper in the the story's characters as a supplement, but when it's REQUIRED to figure out their motives and actions then you've missed your mark within the film itself.

11:33 - Poor answer. Again, this is weak writing. Characters in the film should have logical human reactions to important events like this.

14:50 - A biologist wouldn't be so careless with an unknown and obvious hostile alien creature. It just doesn't fit his character's MO. It's not about knowing the strength of the snake. As a biologist he should have picked up on the body language and immediately recognized this as a potentially dangerous situation and kept his distance. His actions were completely illogical.

The "black goo". Ok, so if the goo can create life, destroy life, or mutate life depending on the biological response to it, or some such. (Still not 100% clear.) Then this is the type of thing one of the scientists on the ship should have deduced and made clear to the other characters in the film and us as the audience. I don't want to be spoon fed information, but there is a tactful way of clarifying the properties of the goo so we as the audience can move on through the story without getting hung up on these questions. It should at least be acknowledged by the characters in the film. Even if there isn't a clearly defined answer as to what exactly the goo does and how/why it effects and reacts to different life forms in different ways, it should at the very least be questioned by someone on the crew in the movie, so we as an audience can relate to the characters through empathy.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back