Portal Gun-First Ever Project-Advice Needed :(

Was going to start recarving the crests cause I noticed that they look dreadfully inaccurate. (I'm on holiday, which for once, is/was a bad thing, because my project is chilling in my house on the other side of the world T_T) But funnily enough, it seems that my Portal Gun shell is more accurate if I place it the opposite way. In other words, the back of crest being the front.

Last edited:
After ​some (a lot) of procrastination, school work, exams, music concerts, and hiatus later...I've finally picked up the ASHPD again, this time, with a help of a lot of friends. I forgot about this thread for quite some time, so there's a lack of photos as of yet.
20150821_174727.jpg
I've managed to gotten both of the Portal Gun shells carved out, and after sealing them with Mod Pudge, covered both of them in bondo. God, it's an absolute nightmare to work with. I kept on adding too little hardener the first few times, and after that, I started adding too much hardener, and couldn't work with it before it completely dried up. Took some time to get the balance.
20150920_103247.jpg
After that, I decided to take a break from the fumes, and went on to working on the main barrel of the Portal Gun. I had already sawed several PVC pipes out, before remembering that I didn't have anything to hold them together with. From what I've seen, most people have been using Apoxie Sculpt. One of the downsides of living here in Singapore is that such things are hard to find, so one of my friends recommended Sculptamold to me as a substitute, which she claimed to work fairly similar.
20150920_103221.jpg
After testing it out for a bit, the Sculptamold seemed to work quite nicely (In case you are wondering, those orange pieces of plastic are from one of my textbooks.), so I carried on with it.
20150920_204140.jpg
It takes quite some time to dry, but hey, it works. As you may have noticed, I've messed up woefully on the back of this section, but I think I have a plan to solve it. That's it for now, I've got a lot of spare time during the next few weeks to work on it however, so progress should be quick. Gonna start sanding the life out of the shells and barrel once I find the time. As long as I keep the area well ventilated and keep my respiration mask on that is.

20150821_174727.jpg

20150920_103247.jpg

20150920_103221.jpg

20150920_204140.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, kudos to you for doing the Portal as your first replica. Like previously mentioned it's by far not the easiest type of build to start with but I see you're on a great way.
Are you going to create a mold and cast the shells from resin later on?

Definitely keeping an eye on this one here, there cannot be enough of great replicas of this gun! :)
I wish you the best and the most important thing: Ask if there are any questions since you definitely can rely on this great community here when it comes to support fellow builders.

Hello PropBox :D No, I am not planning on creating a mold to cast the shells from resin, or I haven't at least considered it yet, mainly due to the lack of supplies and idea as to how I'm going to do so, but I guess I'll do some research on it. I do have a question however: I've done some reading, and I've seen a few people mention that solidified bondo is porous. Not sure if this is true or not, but I guess I can't go straight to acrylic paint after sanding the shells. As you've mentioned, most people have actually cast their shells after creating a foam model, and as I'm probably not planning to do this, do you have any recommendations as to what I should move onto next, after sanding the bondo (and filling imperfections)?

I have no experience with Bondo at all but I guess it some kind of PE-putty like the one I used on my Gravity Gun.
You definitely want to check out other builds to see how it's done but I'm 99% certain after having the bondo sanded you need to apply some primer and sand it again.
If there are imperfections add small amounts of bondo to smoothen out the surface again. Then redo the priming and sanding at least once more until the surface is perfectly smooth.

Mold making and casting your shells is "kinda expensive" and you definitely want to go a try your luck on much simpler obejcts before.
I was quite sure Volpin did cast the shells on his replica too but it seems he just covered the foam with Bondo to give it enough resistance.
Here's his worklog: http://volpinprops.blogspot.de/2009/01/testing.html

Cheers,
Mario

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back