HALF-LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun - Realistic Replica - 18.12. - VALVE HIT ME UP!

Re: Half Life 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 02.06. - Electronics UPDATE!

Love your work! Can't wait to see this progress.

Re: Half Life 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 02.06. - Electronics UPDATE!

Thank you so much for your kind offer!
But there are a few restrictions which prevent me from vacuum forming them. The crystals aren't going to look to look that smooth as they are now in everyone's replica.
I want to achieve an effect which makes them look like real, cut crystals :)

TOTALLY!
Unfortunately it seems my RGB-strips are broken as I tried to get them running for around three hours :(

if you want PM me and we can see if we can figure out the issue or email me.

Re: Half Life 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 07.06. - Body finished... kinda!

Love your work! Can't wait to see this progress.

Thanks a lot man! Great to hear you enjoy it :)

if you want PM me and we can see if we can figure out the issue or email me.

Many thanks for offering your help, I finally got the LEDs working. It seems I burned the first LED in the strip since I didn’t use a capacitor from the beginning. The current must have killed it. Now it’s working like a charm!

So let’s begin with the update.

Sorry for the bad quality of the images, I didn’t feel like photographing and pre-production so yeah… did it anyway haha. The white acrylic parts are even harder to photograph but I didn’t have a flash on hand.

What I had actually was enough time on the weekend to get the body of the gun nearly ready :)
The first step was to grind all the acrylic plates which are used for the shell to the right angle and form the outer shape. This was a fairly quick process and so one after another got glued onto the base plate. I let every sheet dry for about 30min.

_MG_4451.jpg

_MG_4461.jpg

While waiting for the glue to dry I used the time and went onto creating the back plate. It consists of two pieces which quickly got glued together aswell.

_MG_4463.jpg

I totally forgot to create holes for the M12-rods to come through and so I quickly cut it out of the back.

_MG_4472.jpg

After all the glue dried I finally could mount the backplate on the main base.
Here are now a few shots :)

_MG_4489.jpg

_MG_4492.jpg

_MG_4477.jpg

Now the tricky part begins… I need to make some calculations for the rest of the pieces which should cover up the upper back of the gun.
Those are the plates where both the Xen-barrels are going trough.
Since the Xen-barrels got quite an complicated shape it’s much harder to get the correct measurements on cut-out than I thought it would be :(

Anyway… fingers crosses! Gonna drop the files to the laser guy tomorrow to hopefully pick it up on Wednesday! :) I’ll keep you updated!!

Cheers and take care,
Mario

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/PropBox/287740688037646
Deviantart: http://supermariio.deviantart.com

Last edited:
Re: HALF LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 07.06. - Body finished... kinda!

Hope I helped, glad to see you back on track. For the record, jealous of your workshop. Great build.

Yep.. need a cap & resistor, as stated here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide/best-practices

I too love the electronics part of builds.... if fact I'm to the point that if a prop doesnt have electronics.. I'm turned off (as it could be so much more if the developer/designer wanted)

Great job so far!

Yeah I found that page now too, thanks a lot. After adding it all went fine. Additional to that I had a major error in my program.
Guess that both of that resulted in not working haha. *facepalm*

I'm with you there on the electronics. It breathes so much more life into rather "cold" stuff.
I was thinking about adding a speaker for sound effects too but I for myself think that this would be too "toyish".

:)

Hope I helped, glad to see you back on track. For the record, jealous of your workshop. Great build.

You sure did, really appreciated your offer!
Cool you like my little shop. It's rather small but I've got everything I need stuffed somewhere in it.
A laser is missing ;) :)

Last edited:

(I have a laser stuffed into mine!) :)

Also.. I' dont know about toyish..

getting the 'go-to' BlasterCore 4.0 electronics always sound pretty good on all the videos I have seen..

I did these with adding Arduino based sound FX:

DC_17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj58wl-aT0M

Nerf Maverick Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFNH2zFVy4

you can use whatever .wav file you want for sound.. so use whatever you think sounds best.

(I have a laser stuffed into mine!) :)

Also.. I' dont know about toyish..

getting the 'go-to' BlasterCore 4.0 electronics always sound pretty good on all the videos I have seen..

I did these with adding Arduino based sound FX:

DC_17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj58wl-aT0M

Nerf Maverick Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFNH2zFVy4

you can use whatever .wav file you want for sound.. so use whatever you think sounds best.

:O You don't have you? I envy you so much man...

Holy...
Woah first of all the paint job on the Maverick is just phenomenal! Great job there, hope I can pull something like this off too.
Did you use acrylics?

Also the sounds are incredible as are the lighting effects. Did you use an Arduino to control the BlasterCore?
I dunno but I guess if I would go the way to include sounds on the Gravity Gun it would kinda "ruin" it.
Maybe it would have to grow on me ;)

Nice progress like usual! Keep it up!

Thanks! Will do sir! :)

haha.. thanks.. the Nerf Maverick was the first paint job I have every done.

just a base coat/color...
some dry brushing weathering technique on the edges and high spots.
then some black 'wash' in other areas.

Not sure what you meant by this: "You don't have you?" ??? :)

Also.. no, this is NOT using a blaster core of any kind. I was saying its a popular choice and a 'turn key' product, and also a quality product from what I know.

my links use an Arduino based solution (think Arduino + Adafruit Wave Shield built into one tiny board)
for myself.. that gave me the ability to tweak it for my uses (ie: bar graph, 7-segment counters...etc)

but the BlasterCore gives you some options as well.. I am not too up-to-date on it.. as I have never owned one personally.

I was just showing the links to display it doesnt have to be 'toyish'.. and adding electronics (to me) brings the prop to life more. :)

Ah dry brushing was a thing I've never tried actually. If I ever need tips regarding painting the gun I'll get back to you! ;)

I meant that you have a laser! :D I don't know a single person having a laser in their workshop.

Oh I see!
Adafruit makes THE stuff if you ask me. Especially for prop making they simply cover nearly every aspect when it comes to fancy lighting.
Can't wait what they might come up with in upcoming years.

I'm kinda twisted about sound effects since nearly everytime I hear sounds coming from a prop (be it a weapon or robot, etc.) I automatically think of some 90's kids commercial where all those toys with the "fancy" electronics and sound effects launched haha. Dunno why. It depends on how it's used on the prop though.

I somehow cannot imagine the Gravity Gun making those weird noises :D

I'm kinda twisted about sound effects since nearly everytime I hear sounds coming from a prop (be it a weapon or robot, etc.) I automatically think of some 90's kids commercial where all those toys with the "fancy" electronics and sound effects launched haha. Dunno why. It depends on how it's used on the prop though.

I somehow cannot imagine the Gravity Gun making those weird noises :D

I think the main problem is the manufacturers use crappy sound modules. Case in point is the NECA ASHPD, which, when compared to the rest of the thing, has pretty crummy sounds that I just want to turn off (but I don't want to open mine up to add a switch). Same with the ForceFX sabers as well. If you could find/use a decent digital sound module, I think it would be fairly trivial to grab the sound files from the Source SDK and add them in (although I cannot for the life of me remember what the Gravity Gun actually sounds like...)

I'm a fan of sounds and think it rounds out the package nicely. I agree with @Fishbowl if not done properly it sounds bad. Most of the off the shelf units use subpar components and achieve subpar results. I am adding it my ASHPD I hope it sounds as good as I think it will.

Yeah.. thats always the problem (well usually) when you got a mass produced piece.. cost is a huge factor. (so they may skimp..etc).

But if you buy a purpose build electronics kit (BlasterCore for example), you quickly see the difference. Its a top notch, quality product that BUILT for props and audio in mind. :)

Size is also another concern/factor..

I mentioned the Adafruit Wave Shield.. (and Adafruit makes great stuff.... their support forums can be a bit 'meh', unless its there product..but whatever) lol..
because thats 'sorta' what my board is based off.. and uses their libraries..

however.. I custom designed my board to be SMALL and more a generic platform:

you can see my custom board vs the Arduino with Wave Shield stacked on top (see the size difference)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/all-in-one_2.jpg

http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/all-in-one_1.jpg

I use my same board as a base for most of my projects

Nerf mod
DC-17
Iron Man motorized faceplate w/Sound FX (servo and eye leds too)..etc

so for me.. its my 'go to' board...

re: dry brush...

first tie I ever did it.. search around, especially YouTube.. you'll find lots of tuts..

for myself.. I found that using DRY brush with a VERY VERY VERY tiny bit of paint on it works best..

you'll be amazed at how much paint you DONT NEED!..lol..

yeah people get sound files from video games, DVD's...etc.. or just legit audio engineer new sounds.

www.saberfont.com has mostly light saber sound FX.. but it has a few blaster packages as well..

Yeah.. thats always the problem (well usually) when you got a mass produced piece.. cost is a huge factor. (so they may skimp..etc).

But if you buy a purpose build electronics kit (BlasterCore for example), you quickly see the difference. Its a top notch, quality product that BUILT for props and audio in mind. :)

Size is also another concern/factor..

I mentioned the Adafruit Wave Shield.. (and Adafruit makes great stuff.... their support forums can be a bit 'meh', unless its there product..but whatever) lol..
because thats 'sorta' what my board is based off.. and uses their libraries..

however.. I custom designed my board to be SMALL and more a generic platform:

you can see my custom board vs the Arduino with Wave Shield stacked on top (see the size difference)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/all-in-one_2.jpg

http://dmstudios.net/misc/scab_assembly/all-in-one_1.jpg

I use my same board as a base for most of my projects

Nerf mod
DC-17
Iron Man motorized faceplate w/Sound FX (servo and eye leds too)..etc

so for me.. its my 'go to' board...

re: dry brush...

first tie I ever did it.. search around, especially YouTube.. you'll find lots of tuts..

for myself.. I found that using DRY brush with a VERY VERY VERY tiny bit of paint on it works best..

you'll be amazed at how much paint you DONT NEED!..lol..

yeah people get sound files from video games, DVD's...etc.. or just legit audio engineer new sounds.

www.saberfont.com has mostly light saber sound FX.. but it has a few blaster packages as well..

i went with a sound board from Bob replicaprops. I love the simplicity and the fact he had the audio files from Volpin I believe, it was easy. I used a perforated board originally and hated it. I've since done a custom etch. It's not the best looking piece but it's much more solid than the perf board.

Last edited by a moderator:

perfect!.. a nice to addition to any prop you may need it for.

Guys you're starting to make me feel weak about adding sounds aswell.
I'm just figuring out where the board should go (which shouldnt be a problem) but the main concern I have is where to locate a proper speaker.
I mean there is plenty of room inside the main body but I cannot just simply pack it somewhere outside to be seen.

What kind of speaker do you think is proper for a decent audio quality when working with the Adafruit shield?

Had a quick look around and it seems this one here should do the job pretty well: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2217
Have no experience in audio shields like this though.

Last edited:

Awesome, even found a shop here in the EU.
Do you have any video of it perform? Like in good quality? Curious how it sounds... :)

Only video I have of it in use (I think) are the DC-17 and the Nerf Maverick mod ones...

but again.. it will depend on the board itself that drives the speaker.

(I found that the Adafruit Waveshield by itself, (not my custom version one) volume is kinda low... (but there is a fix/hack to get it louder if I remember correctly)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back