This makes me wonder if LFL and Lucas were viewing the restoration work on uncalibrated monitors and not in the restoration studio/workstations. So maybe on their monitors the blacks initially looked bright and not particularly dark and they tell the restoration folks to darken the blacks. Certainly the restorers question what Lucas et al are talking about but, hey, the customer is always right, correct? So they darken the blacks more which results in crushed blacks on a properly calibrated monitor but on the LFL crap monitors they look fine.

I think it was all about hiding matt boxes and things that show up on video,...but not on film....The 97 SE print isn't as bad as the Lowry 'cleaned up' one

J

What I seem to recall (and I may be wrong here) is that Lowry (now Reliance) scanned and restored the negatives or interpositives to do the 2004 SEs. However, the CGI work, and a lot of the actual cleanup and color timing was done by LFL, not Lowry.

If you look at Lowry's other work, I'm inclined to lay the blame squarely at LFL's doorstep. Lowry did the Bond blu-ray restorations, as well as North by Northwest, all of which look gorgeous. (Although some have complained a bit about the DNR used in North by Northwest, I think?) Anyway Lowry/Reliance has a solid track record, so I think LFL was more to blame. Either way, it was a crappy, amateurish job.

What I seem to recall (and I may be wrong here) is that Lowry (now Reliance) scanned and restored the negatives or interpositives to do the 2004 SEs. However, the CGI work, and a lot of the actual cleanup and color timing was done by LFL, not Lowry.

If you look at Lowry's other work, I'm inclined to lay the blame squarely at LFL's doorstep. Lowry did the Bond blu-ray restorations, as well as North by Northwest, all of which look gorgeous. (Although some have complained a bit about the DNR used in North by Northwest, I think?) Anyway Lowry/Reliance has a solid track record, so I think LFL was more to blame. Either way, it was a crappy, amateurish job.

Lowry were given the files by LFL,...no film at that stage,...there are digital glitches that can be seen in the Death Star battle that were on the 97 SE's,...& are still on the BD release....It's only now that Reliance have gotten their hands on film.....well recently,.....probably for the planned release of the 3d OT

"We sent one of our 6-terabyte servers up to Skywalker Ranch in San Rafael, California, where they loaded it with full RGB [red, green, and blue] data without having to go through the component output that tape masters would demand," John Lowry said. "We processed those images, cleaned them up, and sent them back in little packages of discs. The net result was that we never lost a bit in the process of moving all the data back and forth." [45]

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, screw it, bought the ebay bootlegs. 40 bucks for all three discs and some nice artwork. If the quality is better than the DVD unaltered bonus features I'll consider it a win. So now that I've reluctantly paid up, Disney will undoubtedly unveil the official releases. You're welcome :lol

Bah, screw it, bought the ebay bootlegs. 40 bucks for all three discs and some nice artwork. If the quality is better than the DVD unaltered bonus features I'll consider it a win. So now that I've reluctantly paid up, Disney will undoubtedly unveil the official releases. You're welcome :lol

Once you've received them and had a chance to view them please post a follow up video with your impressions as to the quality of the video and audio.

We'll remember your sacrifices for the greater good. (Also looking forward to your impressions).

Got my discs from ldsproductions123 on ebay. These are simply physical copies of the Harmy restorations.

I'm not ab AV pro, but I'll try to be specific. Also, I skipped through chapters, watching a few seconds or minutes of each. I haven't watched the entire films. So these are first impressions.

Packaging: crap, looks like a bootleg.
Discs: actually nicely printed. Look pretty legit.
Film quality: omfg. Harmy is my hero now. Watched on a 55 inch tv from about 10 feet away. Perhaps, maaaybe, some slight aliasing. Heavy grain in the daylight scenes on ANH and ESB. But my big fear, that quality would be inconsistent from scene to scene or even shot to shot are pretty much put to rest. Yes some parts look better than others. But nothing stands out as wonky. The colors are right! THE COLORS...ARE...RIGHT.

So, it looks good.

Soundwise, I'd say solid but not showy. I have a modest 5.1 Visio system that can still really knock your socks off. I feel like maybe I was getting too much from the front speakers, and the rears and sub were kind of tacked on, if that makes sense. On the plus side this means clear, unmuddied dialogue, thank god. On the other hand it isnt...flashy, if that's what you want. I find many movies to have obnoxious, murky, overly busy mixes, so I'm fine with this.

Anyway, beyond happy with this purchase. Really, really excited. Any other questions, ask and I'll try to answer, but...theyre Harmy, just on physical disc, so if you've heard of those, you've heard of these.

I'm kind of jumping into the middle here so I may sound the fool, there were small differences between 35mm and 70mm back in the day,
which one do these bootlegs attempt to favor?

Boy, I'd have to review the differences before answering that. I know what you're talking about, I just can't recall the specifics. Lemme get back to you.

Boy, I'd have to review the differences before answering that. I know what you're talking about, I just can't recall the specifics. Lemme get back to you.

Thanks ,this may help for particulars to skip to...
http://episodenothing.blogspot.com/2015/02/star-wars-what-is-definitive-original.html

I'm suspecting a hybrid of the two.

I remember the close the blast doors/ open the blast doors distinctly as that caused a laugh in the audience.
Another viewing I had I recall the missing line, because of course no laughter. I was waiting for it.

Thanks ,this may help for particulars to skip to...
http://episodenothing.blogspot.com/2015/02/star-wars-what-is-definitive-original.html

I'm suspecting a hybrid of the two.

I remember the close the blast doors/ open the blast doors distinctly as that caused a laugh in the audience.
Another viewing I had I recall the missing line, because of course no laughter. I was waiting for it.

Ok, using this as a guide http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Th...very-good-Noooooo-Preservation-Guide/id/13428 I can say:

1. Troopers say door's "locked"
2. No tractor beam in seven locations line
3. No "Gov Tarkin" before "we have an emergency "
4. No "close the blast doors "
5. I can't find the Biggs/Wedge where are you line because the time sigs are different than the link and despite having the movie more or less memorized, I'm stumped!

Also, it does NOT, blessedly, have the ANH title. The credits are the darker blue.

Does that help?

I picked up the deluxe version from eBay and they are fantastic. I've watched ANH but the real kicker is the amount of extras. And finally I have the Star Wars Muppet Show episode.

Ok, using this as a guide http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Th...very-good-Noooooo-Preservation-Guide/id/13428 I can say:

1. Troopers say door's "locked"
2. No tractor beam in seven locations line
3. No "Gov Tarkin" before "we have an emergency "
4. No "close the blast doors "
5. I can't find the Biggs/Wedge where are you line because the time sigs are different than the link and despite having the movie more or less memorized, I'm stumped!

Also, it does NOT, blessedly, have the ANH title. The credits are the darker blue.

Does that help?

Yeah that's great. Thank you.
Funny how even back then we all weren't necessarily seeing the exact same movie.

purchased 4-6 theatrical blu-ray remastered via fleBay, and noticed at times some of the background hasn't been sharpened up (image wise) as much as the central camera shots.

But was the background originally out of focus? Some modern digital movies are very flat. So is it a Harmy error or a historical artifact?

I don't remember any of the backgrounds in the originals being fuzzy.

There's a shot in the original ESB where I don't remember it being fuzzy.

The first pic is from a low quality pre-se version and the second is from the se. If you saw the se sequence, it's quite blurry. Especially, around the rebel soldiers. I don't know what the reasoning behind it was, but it looks awful.

esb uat no-blurry.jpg esb se blurry.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back