Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

Thanks for the video.

Curious why the moire stops half way through the demo and then begins again??

Also wondering if the moire motor has any mechanical buzz or hum to it that will picked up during conversation due to the the close speaker proximity.

-Rylo

Last edited:
Here's a bottom shell I vacuumed off my bucks using vintage kydex to compare. You can see the dramatic difference between the raw Kydex on the right and the Vacuumed Kydex on the left (looks much more uniform then the right hand shot). Click on images to make them larger. The bottom picture is current Kydex to show the difference between the two grains, pulled from the same bucks. My point here is that it is not going to be an easy task to get this right! I have my fingers crossed and hope The Wand Company can pull it off.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
This is really great and I can't wait for it to come out. Based on their Doctor Who Sonic's and the TOS Phaser, I have a lot of faith in them that this will come out as good as they can make it. I also wish Richard and Chris would pop in hear and answer some of our questions as some of us can't get on the TPZ.

STAR TREK TOS Bluetooth Communicator push back----Discussion,

Ok, Someone help me out, My text above was for a new thread that I created, Why js it now a comment on this page ???

Sorry if its a stupid question, Im particularly new here

LLAP

Cole

Last edited:
After the amazing Phaser I have full faith in these folks and I am glad they delayed to get it right.

Re: STAR TREK TOS Bluetooth Communicator push back----Discussion,

Ok, Someone help me out, My text above was for a new thread that I created, Why js it now a comment on this page ???
A mod must have merged your thread into this one. Multiple threads on the same subject are discouraged.

A message from The Wand Company
Detail design delays Communicator launch
We are sorry and disappointed to have to announce a delay in the launch of our Star Trek: The Original
Series Bluetooth Communicator. Originally planned to be ready in January 2016, the Communicator now won’tbe shipping until April 2016.
We understand that those of who have pre-ordered will be as upset as we are by this delay. However, we hopethat you will understand that this delay has occurred because of our continued dedication towards theproduct’s performance and authenticity.
Specifically, it has taken us longer than we expected to refine the antenna grille opening action and to makesure that the surface texture is as true to the hero prop as it is possible for us to make.
Initial tests on prototype mouldings showed that the antenna grille action needed refining if it was going toperform as expected in day-to-day use. We know that the flip-to-answer is an iconic aspect of theCommunicator and one that we have to get absolutely right. Extensive testing with prototypes showed that weneeded to design a special clutch mechanism which required a redesign of the main internal housing detail andthis introduced a delay. At the same time, we have had to take extra steps to make certain that the surfacetexture is as close to the original as possible. We were very fortunate to have been loaned the only knownremaining sample of original Kydex material, but matching it accurately has required multiple sample test runsof the surface texture to make sure it is accurate before we were happy for it to be laser etched into the mainhousing tooling.
Now that the antenna grille action is how we want it and the surface texture looks right, the Communicator isready to go through the thorough qualification processes required before we can move to full massproduction manufacture.
We know you will be very keen to receive your new Communicator but we also hope that, having waited 50years for a real working Communicator, waiting another few months for one that not only works but looks andfeels as good as the real thing will be something that you are prepared to do.
Chris Barnardo and Richard BlakesleyThe Wand Company

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome communication and up front action on their part. I don't mind the wait. Sounds like they are doing it right!

Would you recommend gluing the black velcro onto the back the the Wand communicator like they did to the original Hero communicator props?

Would you recommend gluing the black velcro onto the back the the Wand communicator like they did to the original Hero communicator props?

No for sure not, the communicator has a wireless charging pad on the back of it, using magnets it holds it and charges it wirelessly, so if you were you would not be able to charge it without stripping the velcro off every time, Sorry for the bad news :(, But…… fortunately it will come with a really cool pouch if you scroll to the pictures included above it show it, so if you wanted to you could put it on a belt or even put velcro on it and put it on your utility belt, if thats the look your looking for. Also if you've heard of Anovos, they are working on making a replica utility belt for the original series costumes, coming out next year along with the velour line. So I'm planning on using it for the Wand Companies phaser along with the new communicator with my 1-2 season Kirk tunic for the full look ;)

LLAP

Actually I Just added a picture from Comic Con

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 6.14.41 PM.png

Cole

For reference photos of alpha, you can find plenty on the herocomm site.
Thanks to The Wand Company for letting me take these pictures of their prototype! :)

Please don't repost these photos anywhere.
-Bluebox303

In anyone wants to see anymore pictures, or needs any other bit of information, just ask.

Is the gold speaker grill the original metallic vacuum tube radio cover ? or is it a molded metal with holes in it ? To me it look like metal rather than a woven fabric like the hero prop

Heres what I mean ;)Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 9.26.52 AM.png See the holes, the original fabric does not have that its a woven piece

it does not have that appearance that Im used to with the speaker grill, and Im assuming since it an exact 3d scan and whatever that they are going to use either a boatload of original speaker fabric, or mac gyver up some replica fabric. Or... which Im hoping they dont, they just add a metal grate and call it a day.

if I'm wrong in any way let me know, either way Im happy with the quality, original speaker grill or not

LLAP
Cole

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back