ARC Reactor LED

ChiCubsGordon24

Hey guys,
I'm looking for the easiest way to light up an Arc reactor and iron man hand. I'm not great at circuitry so simple is best. I was thinking either a Puck light or a flashlight of some sort but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I used a set of fairy lights for my wearable arc reactor.
e96b8b91721d951c2e9f0b52e68b3a4b.jpg

578346a7e466909e0ddd411b58aca8f9.jpg

They work great, and if you’re not good with electronics (like me) they make a cheap and simple alternative. I originally used one of those circular “tap lights” in my arc reactor but I found that the light itself wasn’t wide enough to illuminate the entire thing - just the centre part.)

I’ll be watching this thread because I still need a way to light up the repulsor in my Iron Man gauntlet. (The tap lights were too thick to fit inside the glove.)

I used a set of fairy lights for my wearable arc reactor.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/e96b8b91721d951c2e9f0b52e68b3a4b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/578346a7e466909e0ddd411b58aca8f9.jpg

They work great, and if you’re not good with electronics (like me) they make a cheap and simple alternative. I originally used one of those circular “tap lights” in my arc reactor but I found that the light itself wasn’t wide enough to illuminate the entire thing - just the centre part.)

I’ll be watching this thread because I still need a way to light up the repulsor in my Iron Man gauntlet. (The tap lights were too thick to fit inside the glove.)
Nice solution, guess I'll have to explore some stores to see what I can come up with.

Nice solution, guess I'll have to explore some stores to see what I can come up with.
Thanks. If it helps, I bought my fairy lights online.

Following on from what I said in my earlier post, I decided to try another experiment with a puck/tap light. After removing the thick outer case, I used a craft knife to cut away the excess plastic until I was left with just this:
042b62178c2ba2d0e2461c076d7a627b.jpg

And here’s the result inside my WIP glove. All it needs now is a disc of frosted plastic over the top and hopefully it shouldn’t look too bad.
7f9f24a86e3a0e3bfced0f19da95dfef.jpg

Anyway, I hope this gives you another option to consider (I find the tap lights really useful because all of the batteries, wiring, etc, are all contained within one small unit, so you don’t have to worry about concealing the battery pack in another part of the suit.)

Last edited:
The Dr Doom project I'm working on is also using fairy lights for some of the hardware pieces. They work quite well in tight spaces - these discs and belt buckle are only 1/2" - 2/3" deep. Plus the wiring and power needs are extremely small and easy to conceal in small parts. Thanks to @Graphic Jordan for the hardware. :)

doom-hardware-6.jpgdoom-hardware-8.jpg

Too easy.... and cheap!
Two wires connect to a dimmer that just plugs into the wall. It's easy to splice in other wires to connect other lights (LED strips) etc.
If you wanna go mobile I suppose you need a battery source.

IMG_0830.JPG

Maybe a dedicated PCB/kit should be designed for all those Arc Reactor owners out there?

I'd be up to designing/making it.... but I'd need LOTS of feedback.. (and it would take roughly 1.5-2 months to complete with the LONG shipping from China for parts..etc.. just to be clear)

Things to discuss would be:

Is this for a specific VERSION of an Arc reactor? (or a general 'design' that can be used with all versions.. and maybe just need some software updates to handle behavior of different versions.

Size?

Features/Behavior?

Audio? (or lights only?)

Once I wrap up the pcb/kit stuff for a current Rocketeer project I'm doing.. I can work on this.. and probably have a prototype to show in 2 weeks or so.

Just throwing it out there! :)

Maybe a dedicated PCB/kit should be designed for all those Arc Reactor owners out there?

I'd be up to designing/making it.... but I'd need LOTS of feedback.. (and it would take roughly 1.5-2 months to complete with the LONG shipping from China for parts..etc.. just to be clear)

Things to discuss would be:

Is this for a specific VERSION of an Arc reactor? (or a general 'design' that can be used with all versions.. and maybe just need some software updates to handle behavior of different versions.

Size?

Features/Behavior?

Audio? (or lights only?)

Once I wrap up the pcb/kit stuff for a current Rocketeer project I'm doing.. I can work on this.. and probably have a prototype to show in 2 weeks or so.

Just throwing it out there! :)

That would be very cool to have, what about making something for the hand repulsor? Would have to be a lot smaller I imagine.

I have no issues doing 'small' things.. (and the repulsors are not small compared to most other projects I do)..

Like these Spider-Man web shooter kits I did for the community project here:

batch1_completed-004_sized.jpg

Size comparison shot: (it wasnt much bigger than the microSD card on the bottom!!)

Now that was a small/tougher project! LOL

TASM_pcb_previewPic-005.jpg

Repulsors has been done (sorta).. LOL (it was slated for a huge re-vamping.... but other projects got in the way.. and there were so many other IM projects out there, I lost motivation)

Did these many moons ago for old member TheRealTonyStark

IM_repulsor_v2.0-buildPics-011_sized.jpg

IM_repulsor_v2.0-buildPics-016_sized.jpg

And some eye pcb's as well:

IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-005_sized.jpg

IM_eyeCircuit_pics_-004_sized.jpg

(RE: Brewers..... we hope!)

Unless you want to do other things.. such as audio.. change colors.... or control the lighting based on sensors/outside influence...etc..

Then any leds with resistor & battery will work.

I'm not sure of the OD of your ARC.... but I sometimes check out the dollar stores or your local HarborFreight tool stores.. and look for those push on/off led 'circle'.. that are for closets or headrests..etc..

Similar to this: (but they come in all sizes/variations)

led_images.jpg

(RE: Brewers..... we hope!)

Unless you want to do other things.. such as audio.. change colors.... or control the lighting based on sensors/outside influence...etc..

Then any leds with resistor & battery will work.

I'm not sure of the OD of your ARC.... but I sometimes check out the dollar stores or your local HarborFreight tool stores.. and look for those push on/off led 'circle'.. that are for closets or headrests..etc..

Similar to this: (but they come in all sizes/variations)

View attachment 806095

Ill Look into those

I dont want to hi-jack this thread...(sorry!) :)

But if there is a feature list.. and some dimensions we all want to start putting together..

I can take it all in and start some work on certain things.

Let me know.

ARC Reactor:

Size?
Specific version? (or a general/generic one to fit any 'housing'?)
Features? (led behavior?)
Audio? (looped audio? behavior (triggered) audio? movie quotes?)

I believe Ryan Brook (TheRealTonyStark) made a version that 'lit up' using a laser/light to turn it on.. kind of like the 'new element' feature.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3oPXnzhJ8

But I'm open to (try) make whatever version.

I dont want to hi-jack this thread...(sorry!) :)

But if there is a feature list.. and some dimensions we all want to start putting together..

I can take it all in and start some work on certain things.

Let me know.

ARC Reactor:

Size?
Specific version? (or a general/generic one to fit any 'housing'?)
Features? (led behavior?)
Audio? (looped audio? behavior (triggered) audio? movie quotes?)

I believe Ryan Brook (TheRealTonyStark) made a version that 'lit up' using a laser/light to turn it on.. kind of like the 'new element' feature.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3oPXnzhJ8

But I'm open to (try) make whatever version.

I know I'm working on the Infinity War version. I'm going to wait until I see the movie to create my final version but I'd be fine with a generic LED board. Maybe a pulsating startup of some sort. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back