Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

This is interesting, for those theorizing about ESB editions.

https://twitter.com/messiah102/status/905318446111395841

What's so odd to me about this is if Bandai releases an ESB upgrade kit, do they expect their customers to pull apart their built models to access the insides? I think it would at least be nice to let fans know whether this addition is coming down the road. It wouldn't even need to be a fancy announcement with images, they could just simply say it and the hardcore fans would understand. It's not something a casual star wars fan would care or possibly even know about anyway.

As of now, though, it's pretty unclear whether Bandai has something planned or if they are just making it easier for the fans to do modifications.

What I'm getting at is the current misunderstanding of that logic by some model makers,....99% of completed DeAgo Falcon models show her with blinding blue LED headlights,....& it doesn't stop there,...to some the more lights the better,....flashing,....the Falcon looks more like the Mother ship from CE3K

These models are modded to the model builders tastes,...so they can do what they want....but it is like a virus,....once one has been modded to the max,...then another pops up with more, distancing its representation further & further from the studio models or the fictional craft from the films

So reminds me of this monstrosity:

Last edited by a moderator:

What's so odd to me about this is if Bandai releases an ESB upgrade kit, do they expect their customers to pull apart their built models to access the insides?

I don't think they'd release an upgrade kit for those who have the ANH PG Falcon, they'd just release an entirely new kit with the ESB pieces (the lower front hull and the mandible end caps). New box, 95% the same kit, mo' money.

I don't think they'd release an upgrade kit for those who have the ANH PG Falcon, they'd just release an entirely new kit with the ESB pieces (the lower front hull and the mandible end caps). New box, 95% the same kit, mo' money.
Yup, that's how I would do it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am going to save up and wait for the ESB edition- I just like that one a bit better. By the time it is released I will have gotten enough squirreled away to afford one.

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm trying to incorporate a Falcon theme into an art project I'm working on and I'm looking for a higher res version of the Allied Vans/Ejection seat decal on the Falcon cockpit. This is the largest I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 756298

Mike, check out the MF markings project artifacts at hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com (http://hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com/millennium-falcon-5-foot-studio-model-markings-files/). There is a closeup of the original in place (in the In Situ file), which shows the 'highway marker' sign is from a moving company and doesn't say "California" but rather "Worlds No 1 Mover", plus the ejection seat triangle is slightly offset so the black showing is not even from side to side... hope this helps!
Regards, Robert

Mike, check out the MF markings project artifacts at hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com (http://hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com/millennium-falcon-5-foot-studio-model-markings-files/). There is a closeup of the original in place (in the In Situ file), which shows the 'highway marker' sign is from a moving company and doesn't say "California" but rather "Worlds No 1 Mover", plus the ejection seat triangle is slightly offset so the black showing is not even from side to side... hope this helps!
Regards, Robert
Thanks Robert! What a great resource! Thanks!

One other point about the two-halves of the bottom saucer theory - they'd need to remould both halves anyway, since the back half of the saucer has lighting points as well. So I'm not convinced the saucer design is about future release possibilities so much as it is about production issues.

Other news - my Falcon has been sitting in Coventry in a customs office since Tuesday. Argggh.

Although I do think that the way they split the lower hull, as well as cutouts inside the mandibles, has to do with widening future options for variants as much as possible, I would not take it as indications of future plans. If you look into Bandai's Gundam line of kits, you'll notice that such engineering is just plain common practice, and many end up without any utilization at all.

Besides, Bandai's main market is in Japan, where the consensus among filming miniature enthusiasts is that the best and purest of Falcon props is the 5foot model, before being modified upon practical reasons for the ESB. This is reflected in the promotion video Bandai made for this kit, apparently calling out to those enthusiasts, who mostly have already bought the FineMolds kit and/or the Deagostini kit, trying to convince that this new kit is the thing that they've really wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xng3thTHiRg

Bandai shared this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/906065146040139776

DJL9Xh7VYAAXKPa.jpg

You need a link to this:
bandai-hobby.net/sw/products_img/millenniumfalcon_72_markinglocation.pdf

Glorious! The dimensions look even better than the 1/144. I felt that the sidewalls were a bit too short on that one. (I believe that in order to give the hull a noticeable "lip" at the mandibles, they shrunk the sidewalls)

So in some unboxing-vids it seems that the lighting-set is NOT included! It's just sold seperately from bandai...

Exciting! If only stuff this big/expensive could make it through customs without being nabbed. Sigh

Unfortunately in Denmark the value limit is really low to avoid customs. So I'm waiting curiously, how much the bill is gonna be.
And then I'm still not home until late October.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back