Dewback_Rider's ANH Macrobinocular Build

Re: Dewback_Rider's Luke ANH Macro Build

Also, for anyone looking to start this build, this is a collection of the pieces you will need (not my photo)

Man, did they cannibalise old cameras back then!

Of course, in 1976 these were yesterdays news and diem a dozen, not relics of the days of yore like they are now.

Your childhood prop was amazingly cool! Hopefully my own offspring will grow up as handy and inventive as that!

Nice to have you back on this build D.R sorry to hear about your father.
as to fixing the lense plate to the Eumig I was thinking of drilling the plate and riveting to the eumig before you fixed the lenses, would that be possible if you had the lense rings attached to the plate first ? I don't have any lenses as yet so I'm just speculating and thinking ahead
Ben

I am still wrestling with the best way to attach the lens mounting plate to the Eumig.

Can others please post in with their methods? Pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I'll get pics soon, but I also mentally struggled with it, and then decided to screw it... and do the easiest thing, because that's probably what the prop guys did. I drilled and tapped three holes in between the lenses and used 4-40 stainless screws. Solid as heck and you can't see the screws unless you're looking for them.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions Friendly Flyer, BenGrim09, and scottjua.

I haven't decided yet how best to mount the lens plate, but may go with two screws through the center into the Eumig, backed with a super strong epoxy behind the plate (not on the lenses or threads).

I figure I have taken this long to collect and bring together all the necessary pieces, I at least owe it the work of thinking the assembly through as thoroughly as possible.

I will post in with any movement forward, and include photos.

Thanks for posting in. I love this prop - not just because it is kind of obscure, but because the original either no longer exists, or has yet to surface, and because it brings back great memories of childhood, sitting in the theater watching Luke have his adventure in the canyon.

Hi guys, I'm sorry it's been so long, but I was taking care of my sick father (for about 3 years in and out of hospitals and physical rehab centers), and then he passed away, and I was working through his estate and the sale of my childhood home - Very heavy stuff if you haven't gone through it.

With that said, I had still been collecting pieces for the build, and now have almost everything needed to complete it.

I don't think I showed them previously in the thread, but here are the smaller harvested knobs needed for atop the transition box, and for the side of the macros:

View attachment 707236View attachment 707237

Also, I was able to score not one, but TWO authentic Kalimar Kaligar 1:28 f=80mm lenses:

View attachment 707238View attachment 707239View attachment 707240

- - - Updated - - -

I also had a day this past Fall where the weather was nice, so I decided to work on my build on the patio table.

I mounted the knobs to the transition box, and the box to the Eumig.

I also carefully drilled out the holes for mounting the larger side knobs. This is what it looked like when I finished for the day:

View attachment 707241View attachment 707242View attachment 707243View attachment 707244View attachment 707245View attachment 707246

- - - Updated - - -

I mounted the lens rings in the lens mounting plate, screwed in the lenses, and placed them in position, taking a few pics to see what it would look like:

View attachment 707247View attachment 707248View attachment 707249

I am still wrestling with the best way to attach the lens mounting plate to the Eumig.

Can others please post in with their methods? Pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I have also been thinking about the mysterious, unknown, unidentified "dark side of the moon" black greeblie.

Since we don't know what it was, or exactly what it is supposed to look like, I think I have decided to fashion something myself - creating a base, and adding these circled black plastic parts from the macros I made as a kid - to honor the creativity of my childhood, and tie me to the excited energy of that time:

View attachment 707250
You should've mounted that transition box further off to the side of the Eumig. You may not have room for the triangle box and knob, now.

Regarding that side greeble that is still unknown (and I'm not sure if this item was ever considered), it almost looks like a modified Stagepin connection that is used on old Concert conventional lights:
Stagepin Plug.jpg

Maybe if you can find/modify a smaller version of one of these it will work well? I believe smaller versions are around but the ones we use in concert lighting are a bit too big, I think. I'll have to double check when I get my Eumig in within the next month or so..

I scored a VTR connector cable from The Netherlands to cover my “mystery box”. The second connector has already been sent on to a friend.

I got super lucky. Now, on with the build.
e544c6cc0e2b08fe0c2f5d92d4e1adba.jpg

Dewback_Rider
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a “screen accurate” definitive orientation for the lens mounting plate - indented portion up or down? This photo shows another builder’s take on it, but which way is deemed correct?
IMG_3422.jpg

The lens plate looks like it follows the profile of the Eumig body so smaller section at the top. If you look at the photo youcan see the bottom curve of the larger bottom section between his thumb and forefinger. The shadow from the seagull knob obscures the edge of the larger bottom section of the lens plate.

Been away from this project for a while. The current quarantine has me back at it again.

OK, so DrkSideTndncies and Hovito loincloth have opposing views as to the correct orientation of the lens plate.

So I will ask again. The screen grab above SEEMS to indicate that the larger portion goes on top, with the smaller indented portion on the bottom.

So which way are most builders going with? I just want to be as accurate as possible.

00003.png

It's really the one on the left. I went back and forth on this for a long time and I see how you could interpret the photo that way, but you're mistaking what's actually light reflecting off of the "step" as the Eumig body behind the plate. That highlight is actually the top of the step.

(y)

Last edited:
Pretty crudely traced, but this is what I'm getting at.

Lens Plate Step Placement.jpg

Then look at it without the lines:

Screenshot Left Side-Dial.jpg

It's an oblique angle so I exaggerated the bottom blue line a bit, but you can see what I'm getting at.

This shows it even more clearly, IMO. Important to remember that the macros are upside down in this photo, which means smaller section at the top.

Lens Plate Step Placement_2.jpg

Than compare to this without the lines. It's a bit dark in the critical area, but there's no way that the bottom of the plate in this image (top on the prop since it's upside down) is jutting out further than the top section. You can see this if you follow the lines up the edge of the plate:

Upside Down Top Side.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back