JFcustom's FOAM files

is it work getting some PlastiDip and paint it with that before Spraying painting, reading doing that after PVA gluing helps

Mate, what I have been doing is just that. I coat it with PVA twice before spraying 3 layers of plasti-dip. Make sure your PVA is dry before coating with plasti-dip and make sure there are no runs. The plasti-dip is a great sealer, but it doesn't hide all imperfections.

I am only new to this whole foam cos-play thing but I have been playing around with it and found this works the best so far for what I am doing.

Not sure where you live, but where I live, plasti-dip is quite expensive so I am always on the look out for alternatives.

I'm late to the party, but I've spent a couple days and read this whole thread. Tonight I started my IM Mark IV build. Abs of steel, here I come...

I need some practice, but I figure by the end I'll have it.

Thanks, everyone, for all the awesome info!

New to this site. Always wanted to produce cooler costumes and am very excited to learn about foam building. I threw this together in about 4 hrs after watching armor asylums how to video. Not happy with the lines, but learned a lot for my current project. We are Seahawks fans and have a themed guest room so I decided to turn this into a table lamp. Just wanted to thank all you contributers out there for sharing your knowledge with us new folks. Looking forward to seeing and doing more projects in the future. IFIP.pngIFC.png

@JesterPoet: looking forward to your pictures of progress!
@HawksFan12: awesome lamp! And what a cool idea to decorate your house :cool
George

Your wish is my command. Here are the abs I've done so far.

I suspect they're not going to fit, but we shall see. I didn't do any scaling, as I'm a 6' tall male (and I didn't really understand it all that well), but I've gotten a little chunkier around the middle than I used to be.

abs.jpg

I'm working on the side panels to the abs now. They're the part I'm not so confident about the fit for. I'm not sure, though. We'll see. Since I've never done this before, it's hard to visualize it all until it is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
@George

Your wish is my command. Here are the abs I've done so far.

I suspect they're not going to fit, but we shall see. I didn't do any scaling, as I'm a 6' tall male (and I didn't really understand it all that well), but I've gotten a little chunkier around the middle than I used to be.

View attachment 430273

I'm working on the side panels to the abs now. They're the part I'm not so confident about the fit for. I'm not sure, though. We'll see. Since I've never done this before, it's hard to visualize it all until it is done.

You can likely salvage your abs without too much trouble even if they are too small, just don't permanently attach the side pieces when you get them done. You can tape the sides to your ab pieces temporarily, and then if things still look too small, you can just rebuild longer side panels instead with modified templates. Once you've got it all test-fitted, then final-glue. I've had to do the same for the cod as well, extending the side-pieces so they'll fit. I hate having to separate seams and reglue something, it always leaves me a messier finish :(

All in the first post, I find it practical.

mizuno hadouken | theRPF (the guy with the stunning blue-Iron-Man) made me notice I had not released any foam file for the mkVI chest and brace.
Well, now it's done.

You can likely salvage your abs without too much trouble even if they are too small, just don't permanently attach the side pieces when you get them done. You can tape the sides to your ab pieces temporarily, and then if things still look too small, you can just rebuild longer side panels instead with modified templates. Once you've got it all test-fitted, then final-glue. I've had to do the same for the cod as well, extending the side-pieces so they'll fit. I hate having to separate seams and reglue something, it always leaves me a messier finish :(

Of course the cod was too small.... ;)

I'm glad to hear you say that might work. That's kind of what I was thinking I would try. I didn't do a great job cutting the side pieces anyway, so it might not be all that terrible to have to do them again.

Yep, I've done that more than I care to admit :) I just cut the side templates in the center, added equal-width strips (inch or however much) on each side, and then cut new pieces. They don't have to be exact, because the foam will stretch and adjust a little anyways. Biggest thing is that your spliced in pieces just transition smoothly. If you do it that way, nobody will be the wiser. :)

laellee: a few posts back (same thread) I mentioned the idle black lines that don't really serve a purpose or were a mistake.In paper you can make a cut,overlap and glue...but what if you (have to) use the same paper template for foam? How did you solve this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
@laellee: a few posts back (same thread) I mentioned the idle black lines that don't really serve a purpose or were a mistake.In paper you can make a cut,overlap and glue...but what if you (have to) use the same paper template for foam? How did you solve this problem?

Most all of those overlaid lines, I ignore. They don't end up really mattering much in foam building.

Hello all. I am new to making props and looking for assistance with pattern for Young Justice Sportsmaster mask. It doesn't have many lines so not sure if foam is best option. In the meantime I am going to try modify the deathstroke pepakura file. Any suggestions?Sportsmaster Mask.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back