JFcustom's FOAM files

This is my second Arkham attempt. I have always wanted a Reevesfx version but I be poor. So I used JFcustom's hills and valleys trick under the foam to add some details to the cowl.
10628031_10202912933329769_333241031798821103_n.jpg

I tried to open the Star Lord helmet .pdo file in the first post, but it just takes me to a website with lines of code or something. Can anyone help with how to get these downloaded and open. (Sorry, I'm extremely new to this and I'm trying to get a helmet for my son for Halloween) any and all help is appreciated.

I tried to open the Star Lord helmet .pdo file in the first post, but it just takes me to a website with lines of code or something. Can anyone help with how to get these downloaded and open. (Sorry, I'm extremely new to this and I'm trying to get a helmet for my son for Halloween) any and all help is appreciated.

Right mouse click on the link, and save the target file to your computer. It will save as a .pdo, and should then open with Pepakura w/o any problems.

This is my second Arkham attempt. I have always wanted a Reevesfx version but I be poor. So I used JFcustom's hills and valleys trick under the foam to add some details to the cowl.
View attachment 387552

Nice work as always Mr. Cullen!

Is it safe to say the Stormtrooper files are scaled to a 6' guy just like the rest of the suits?

Anyone have a Stormtrooper helmet foam file? I tried to find it on another member's (I forget his username!!) thread but I couldn't find where to download the actual file!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

THANK YOU! I kept seeing the option that said "save link as" and I assumed it would just save the link path and not the actual file. We're getting started on it today! I'll let let you guys know how these two noobs (as my son calls us) manage. Thanks again.

I have a few questions. I am building a foam Iron Man Mark VII using JFcustom's unfold of Darkside501st's files. On the thigh, there is a piece that is not shown on the template.

DSCF2840.JPG

What should I do? Freehand it?

Also there is a piece in the pep file underneath the "knee plate".

edit.JPG

Is this necessary? Or should I leave it out?

Thanks. Bogleo

I have a few questions. I am building a foam Iron Man Mark VII using JFcustom's unfold of Darkside501st's files. On the thigh, there is a piece that is not shown on the template.

View attachment 388360

What should I do? Freehand it?

Also there is a piece in the pep file underneath the "knee plate".

View attachment 388366

Is this necessary? Or should I leave it out?

Thanks. Bogleo
Just cut a piece of foam big enough to cover that space snd glue it to the inside

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413069933095.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1413069933095.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 179
...and this is where I need some help. I want to make an armor for my 3 years old son. I need to change the body proportions of the pepakura models for him. Would you mind giving me some pointers on how to do it? Thanks in advance!
PS: Here's an Iron Man mark 1 helmet I did(on paper) as a test and the huge, ugly mod I had to do so that my son could wear it:
0tSRG9c.jpg
(yes my son loved it and started to play with it right away before I could take that picture)

EDIT: I found a solution to my issue: MeshLab. First I used Pepakura Designer to export the existing model to an .obj file. Then I used MeshLab to export it once again to a .3ds file and opened that file with Sketchup. There I could change the model's proportions and I adjusted the helmet so it would fit my son's head. Finally I exported the changed model to a .kmz file and used Pepakura Designer again to open it. And there it was! Until I tried to unfold it...

I30Z0Gs.png

I now have this pepakura issue. What should I do now? I've tried to join the edges but they just move around and I create new open edges while trying to close other open edges. Smooth creates other problems and my pepakura-fu is pretty basic... Help please, I need some pointers!(and of course, thanks in advance)

0tSRG9c.jpg

I30Z0Gs.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@gutabo: Is there a reason why you just didn't change the scale within Pepakura Designer?
Yes. Here:
ThcsBHM.jpg
Making it bigger and smaller with the same proportions(which is the only kind of scaling you can do in Pepakura) does nothing to solve my problem. A smaller helmet is not going to be wide enough to fit my son's big, round head(and it won't have enough depth too). Smaller arm/leg parts are going to bee too small for his chubby arms/legs. The chest piece is too tall, and so on with every part.

Yes. Here:
View attachment 391033
Making it bigger and smaller with the same proportions(which is the only kind of scaling you can do in Pepakura) does nothing to solve my problem. A smaller helmet is not going to be wide enough to fit my son's big, round head(and it won't have enough depth too). Smaller arm/leg parts are going to bee too small for his chubby arms/legs. The chest piece is too tall, and so on with every part.

Thanks for the explanation and congrats on the commitment for editing the mesh. Good luck with your build.

- - -

Thanks for the explanation and congrats on the commitment for editing the mesh. Good luck with your build.
Thanks! I think I've solved most of my issues with pepakura, so far I'm building this now:
Solution.png
I hope it fits him now!(it's 20% wider and has 25% more depth). This is the original:
Original.png
I don't think I'll make it for Halloween but I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to add some lights to the suit and some open/close mechanism to the helmet :D

Thanks! I think I've solved most of my issues with pepakura, so far I'm building this now:
View attachment 391067
I hope it fits him now!(it's 20% wider and has 25% more depth). This is the original:
View attachment 391070
I don't think I'll make it for Halloween but I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to add some lights to the suit and some open/close mechanism to the helmet :D

Nice work on the mesh editing, I end up doing that on nearly all my stuff. :)

Just as a suggestion, when you get to the legs and other parts, be careful stretching in a direction that will deform any specifically-defined shapes, such as circles. (looks like you considered that when stretching you helmet to keep the ear pods rounded?) My workaround for this (on an arc in chest for instance) was to select the whole mesh, then manually deselect the vertices that made up the arc and surrounding circles before rescaling in a direction. If you just stretch on the y-axis (depth) it doesn't distort too bad, but otherwise any changes to the x or z coordinates really muck it up. A slightly out-of round opening really looks bad when you put your perfectly round arc in the hole :)
Keep going!:thumbsup

Nice work on the mesh editing, I end up doing that on nearly all my stuff. :)

Just as a suggestion, when you get to the legs and other parts, be careful stretching in a direction that will deform any specifically-defined shapes, such as circles. (looks like you considered that when stretching you helmet to keep the ear pods rounded?) My workaround for this (on an arc in chest for instance) was to select the whole mesh, then manually deselect the vertices that made up the arc and surrounding circles before rescaling in a direction. If you just stretch on the y-axis (depth) it doesn't distort too bad, but otherwise any changes to the x or z coordinates really muck it up. A slightly out-of round opening really looks bad when you put your perfectly round arc in the hole :)
Keep going!:thumbsup

Thanks for the tips laellee! I'm not really using MeshLab, I'm just using it as a bridge to be able to edit the model in Sketchup. I'm not well versed in any of those, I just started using them for this project so your input is very welcome. In my current build ears are not round, it's just perspective making them look round lol. You think I should use MeshLab to modify the model instead of using Sketchup?

Aaaaand seems like I was so worried about it being too small that I made it too big scale wise! Here's a quick and dirty build I did yesterday(more like early today):
Picture 16.jpg

Back to the pepakura and printer!

I haven't really used Sketchup, so I'm not sure of all its functions :), but I would think you could do modifications (like scale changes in one direction) without too much of a problem. For quick fixes on scaling, I typically use Blender or 3DSMax. Blender's free, and supports common pepakura import/export formats.

I might try Blender, is it easy to use for beginners like me? I had it as an option if MeshLab failed(Metasequoia was 2nd on my "let's try" list, Blender was 3rd).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back