Iron Man - Mark 30 "Blue Steel" Build (100% Complete!)

Kryro

Hey Guys, (Long time no see)
I thought id make a build thread of my current project. Up until this point I haven't taken many pictures, but I'm still in the building stage.
This is my first Cardboard build, and I am only now getting use to the little tricks and secrets of using it over cardstock. so please point out any flaws you see in the card or any tips I can use in the future.

I Started Ages ago with a Paper pep of the game model of the Silver Centurion Helmet
20130707_170636.jpg

I Did get this helmet to bondo stage, but I had to go away to work for a while. so the helmet is half covered in the first coat of bondo:
20130718_175028.jpg

I Will be finishing this helmet, HOWEVER I may also be pepping a movie accurate helmet to interchange with the game helmet for my preference.

Anyway... while I was away I was thinking I really wanted to start a full suit build as all I was doing before were the helmet files of different suits. And ever since I saw the Centurion suit during Marvels promo campaign. I HAVE LOVED THAT SUIT! So Naturally that was my obvious choice.

Also I wanted something different than the crowd, and after seeing @thorssoli 's Centurion helmet with the Blue steel paint job... it changed my mind as to the color-scheme I wanted.

So Using @MiddleFinger 's pep Files I have been cutting and gluing away, gradually getting faster as I go.
My end product at the end of day 1 consisted of:
IMAG0328.jpgIMAG0304.jpg

Since there's no Images of the back of Blue Steel (that I can find)- it gives me creative freedom - WHICH I LOVE :D
So ive marked out the top flaps on the back of the torso, but the rest of the markings will change soon. as I'm not satisfied with them.

IMAG0334.jpg

Whipped up these Iron-pants earlier today, one of the easiest pep files... ever! But Anyway....

IMAG0339.jpgIMAG0340.jpg

Finished all of @MiddleFinger 's Torso files!! Woop! - the file for the Abs was incomplete, so once again I have creative freedom... love it!
A brilliant bonus of working with these files is that the default scale is perfectly scaled to me... pure coincidence but spectacular!
Also I have had to improvise with some of the files that are missing from MF's such as the neck and boots - for the neck I used a War Machine neckseal and I believe it was a Mark 6 boot file.

Ahh, Speaking of the boot! For some reason I really like this next pep, I just keep looking at it across the room, I really don't know why
IMAG0333.jpgIMAG0326.jpg

If you're wondering about the random colours on each part, don't worry its for my own mind - its so I know what will be coloured in the end.
At the moment, that is all I have built - apart from the shoulders - but they aren't attached yet

As these are medium-definition files, I will be adding in details later once I have a considerable amount pepped. I will really be looking forward to this, as it may allow me to insert "special features"

Edit: I Will now be using a few of PepCowBoy's files - specifically the arms as they offer the connecting elbow joints which MF's do not
Please don't hesitate to comment/criticise or give tips for the future as I want this as good as I can get it so any I welcome anything :D

Tomorrow's Agenda: Go and get more Cardboard :l (run out) and fill in the abs/spine - Maybe start a bicep, MAYBE!

I'll Keep this thread updated!

"But First...Let me (Try to) Take a Selfie... (while propping up an unattached helmet with one arm)
IMAG0332.jpg

Yes.. yes I did just do that.... ok lets move on :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acknowledgements:
@MiddleFinger - For modelling and supplying the awesome files for this build
@PepCowboy - For his amazing Centurion files, I shall be using the arms of his.
@robo3687 - For his Boot and Neckseal Files
@Balmung - For his HD Game Helmet and detail inspiration
@SmookCMb - For his Movie Accurate Mark 30/33 Helmet File
@JFcustom - for his foam tutorial post, which helped me with Cardboard. (i have yet to try foam)

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man - Mark 30 "Blue Steel" Build (W.I.P)

That blue steel color scheme looks wrong, smook. I swear I saw a picture where the helmet is supposed to be mostly silver on the top. Guess I'll have to find that picture, I think it was from the die cast toys or something.......

GhostMinion - Thanks, that helmet is the "movie accurate" helmet, whereas the one shown by smook was from the game. For some reason there were 2 helmets made for the Centurion and therefore Steel.

Once I am done with the body I will be pepping a movie accurate helmet aswell (the one you just posted). That way I can have both helmets with both designs and colour schemes :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I'm all about having both "versions" myself, to tell the truth.

Keep kickin' ass on your build.:thumbsup It's looking great!

Thanks Guys :D
-------------------------------------------
Little Update:

I Have finished the torso and started on the Left arm - I will be using PepCowboys SC files for the arms as they have the elbow joint as MF's does not
Anyway - have a look-see
IMAG0341.jpgIMAG0344.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to finish the Left arm tomorrow, and I think I will swap out the middle V that connects the chest to the Abs - make it a V2 :p

Question: Can anyone think of some cool special features?
(I will be somehow be making the blades for the handplate, but I want some cool features. AT THE MOMENT - this will be only a display piece so I can use all the available room inside the suit to add some decent shizz - but need to think of some things - however I may use it for aa costume afterall, who knows... Any ideas? )

------ Update 15.3.14 -------

Finished one arm :D - Pep's files are awesome, although I did simply a few bits
IMAG0346.jpgIMAG0347.jpgIMAG0348.jpg

And of course I couldn't resist trying it on...
IMAG0345.jpg

Tonight's Agenda: Make the Left Shoulder (DONE!)
Tomorrow's Agenda: Hopefully make the opposite arm :D

-----------------------------------------EDIT-------------------------------------
IMAG0350.jpgIMAG0351.jpgIMAG0349.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man - Mark 30 "Blue Steel" Build (Updated!)

Man you got skills! I know it's pep files that your working with but I've tried and suck at it. VERY COOL, love it so far. Looking forward to seeing the completed suit. The colors of the suit are gonna be Awesome as well. Keep it up man.

So Just wondering, but how much easier is cardboarding it rather than just straight paper and fiberglass, is their any downfall? I guess it must be much much cheaper though.

Thanks guys,

Demaniac I find cardboard easier and a he'll of a lot faster, I used to pep with cardstock a whike back and cardboard is just faster as I don't have to deal with silly grooves or small "walls" - and yeah definitely cheaper ahaa

----------------------

Well today's agenda got sidetracked as j went to see Spiderman 2 - amazing (pardon the pun) but when I get home I'll get to work on the 2nd arm

That blue steel color scheme looks wrong, smook. I swear I saw a picture where the helmet is supposed to be mostly silver on the top. Guess I'll have to find that picture, I think it was from the die cast toys or something.......

I meant about the body color scheme ahahaha i already knew it that the helmet is Silver with blue :p

Argh, I was so close to my agenda - but the film needed to be seen

Got the Entire Upper Torso complete - apart from the Right bicep, but thatll be done tomorrow morning :D
IMAG0354.jpg

Ive got a few ideas for some things to add to the body, but I think ill wait until the whole suit is finished!

Tomorrow I will definitely finish the bicep and I MIGHT start on a new shin/boot, but we shall see

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back