Star Wars stand alone films on hold...

Well, I have no rebuttal as I do not believe that is actually a tactic they are employing.
Therefore

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats all good. When I post its mainly to those who are more than aware of the current issues and have not shut themselves off from whats really going on.

I dont feel lumped in with anyone, i think this tactic of deliberately deflecting genuine criticism of terrible movies by trying to create a narrative of those critics just being sexist, racist trolls is disgusting. We have seen even here how people have been classed politically just because of their opinions on TLJ and thats just not on.

Exactly. It is identity politics in Star Wars.

Oh please, it wasnt a dig, You dont watch the same outlets I do. I`m fully aware that my opinions are going to have zero effect on those that dont agree with them. It does seem though that you are pretty much always the first one to respond to them every time so I know how things are going to turn out.

Sorry, I didn't understand that. I'm awfully shut off you see, living in a closet where I can't see what's really going on, with my limited human interactions and all, you know?
:lol
Whatever man. Back to work for me, lunch break's over.

I don't like their product (Disney) but have no idea if they're attacking me because I don't pay any attention to them or the social media accounts of their employees. Let's face it, Disney is the McDonald's of entertainment: nicely packaged, tastes good but has little nutritional value, is mostly filler and might make you sick later. Like McDonald's they constantly take successful products and try to make it seem new but you can only do so much to a burger. Disney started down the road of unoriginality years ago with sequels to Cinderella (twice), Fox and the hound, Bambi (50 years in the making!!) Little mermaid, Aladdin....now come the "live action" remakes of Dumbo, Lion King god only knows what else. The specialty of their sequels is undoing a happily ever after, shouldn't be a surprise they'd do it to SW.
Why would I bother clicking or reading crap from them? IF they are attacking me because I don't like their take on entertainment (I have yet to see this lumping of SW critics by them or anyone else) I wouldn't know or care. For all I know McDonald's is attacking me for not liking their food, I don't pay any attention to McDonald's so I wouldn't know (or care).
I'm posting this during hour ten of an eleven hour day and my 9th day in a row. Who's got time to give a crap about it? Not me! ;)
There's been a lot of talk about the actors being harassed online needed to grow a thicker skin or ignore trolls online, maybe disappointed fans need to do the same.

I get what your saying but I`m a hell of a lot more invested in Star Wars than I am a Big Mac. And I doubt Maccas would ever set out to alienate large sections of their customer base just to avoid and deflect criticism. Even after Solo the narrative of franchise fatigue and poor marketing was constructed because they refuse to accept that a backlash from their last movie even existed.

I'm curious as to where this notion comes from that Disney/LFL has come out and said that everyone who disliked TLJ is a racist/sexist/whatever.

What I've seen is the following:

1. They've not responded to the legitimate criticism of some fans or some of the general complaints.

2. They have responded to some of the most vitriolic, toxic behavior and called it out.

And that's about all I've seen. I think there's been this assumption that, because that's the only criticism that Disney has responded to, that they are lumping all the dissatisfied fans together.

JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson have both done this. RJ in particular called fans who didn't like TLJ "man babies". So yeah nothing has come out as an official statement from Disney/LFL, but they aren't stopping employees from starwars.com, SW authors, and people working on the movies from insulting fans. By all means, they can go after all the actual racist/misogynist people all they want, but narrow your focus to them.

O.k. folks...I know that it has become a bitchin' fest (and I'm one of the guilty party in here also:$)...now, for solutions: has anyone have a solution to what kind of SW they would like to see? Back to real models against blue screen? Yes, I know, IT'S THE STORY IDIOT:behave...shooting in 35 mil, got it! How about Joe Johnston as a director? Anybody with me?

O.k. folks...I know that it has become a bitchin' fest (and I'm one of the guilty party in here also:$)...now, for solutions: has anyone have a solution to what kind of SW they would like to see? Back to real models against blue screen? Yes, I know, IT'S THE STORY IDIOT:behave...shooting in 35 mil, got it! How about Joe Johnston as a director? Anybody with me?

Loved The Rocketeer and October Sky !

:cheersGed

JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson have both done this. RJ in particular called fans who didn't like TLJ "man babies". So yeah nothing has come out as an official statement from Disney/LFL, but they aren't stopping employees from starwars.com, SW authors, and people working on the movies from insulting fans. By all means, they can go after all the actual racist/misogynist people all they want, but narrow your focus to them.

You left out RJ's "delicious fanboy tears" statement. But the goal is to ignore legit criticism and find something to feign moral superiority and outrage.
joberg,
If they actually DID the next Star Wars movie with blue screens, paintings on glass, real models, an actual plot...it would break records.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the trick is going back and looking at what inspired George. All the Disney era films are inspired by the OT. If you want to original, go back and look at Samurai films, Flash Gordon, straight mythic verse... find the narrative there. Making it look like Star Wars is production design. Making it FEEL like Star Wars is a bit more difficult. Look at ideas that made the OT for inspiration, NOT the OT itself.

I think the trick is going back and looking at what inspired George. All the Disney era films are inspired by the OT. If you want to original, go back and look at Samurai films, Flash Gordon, straight mythic verse... find the narrative there. Making it look like Star Wars is production design. Making it FEEL like Star Wars is a bit more difficult. Look at ideas that made the OT for inspiration, NOT the OT itself.

That's exactly what I said a few weeks ago. But I'm all for a return to models too.

As long as the writer and director understand that they are merely stewards of a much greater saga and spirit established over four decades, it generally seems to fall in to place and yes, more models please, camera tech is so insane right now to capture their full majesty.

Now I know nothing about what the difference between writing a screenplay or a novel is, but I say give SW writers like Timothy Zahn (you should know...) or Drew Karpyshyn (KOTOR, Mass Effect 1&2, Darth Bane novels, etc.) a chance. You know, people that actually get Star Wars. If I had to guess Rian Johnson saw the OT when it came out and that was it. At least JJ Abrams copied it correctly!

RJ only wanted to divide fans and cause chaos amongst OT fans, he said so himself. He gets off on it.
And when a huge amount of fans speak out about his stupid vision, he attacks the people who are supposed to carry this franchise. Guess what RJ... the Joke is now on you.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back